The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jords13
Yeah as you say, more offers than places, maybe it's because a lot go to Oxbridge as a firm and imperial is their insurance. There's also those that don't meet the grades.

I'm pretty certain that Imperial doesn't give out two offers for every place it has!
Original post by Chlorophile
I'm pretty certain that Imperial doesn't give out two offers for every place it has!

They have 70-80 places right? So maybe offer just over 100 places? I don't know but they don't do clearing either so I don't know how they ensure all the places are taken.
Original post by Jords13
They have 70-80 places right? So maybe offer just over 100 places? I don't know but they don't do clearing either so I don't know how they ensure all the places are taken.

Regardless, there's no point worrying about statistics. Just do your best :smile:
Regardless, there's no point worrying about statistics. Just do your best :smile:

Haha yeah, thanks. I'm not holding my breath. Congrats on your offer and good luck with your Oxford interview!
Reply 284
It's sort of reconstructed from different sources. Last year, there were just over 4 applications per place. According to the ESE Dept's website, they interview around 50% of applicants. So therefore, around 50% of the people with interviews must get in. Probably a bit higher than that since they'll give out more offers than places but I'd be surprised if it were much higher than 50%.

i dont get u wat do u mean by 4 applications per place ??
Reply 285
does ur offer guarantee u a place in imperial?
Original post by myms
i dont get u wat do u mean by 4 applications per place ??

Last year, four people applied to Imperial for every space they had available. So about a quarter of people who apply will get offers from Imperial.

Original post by myms
does ur offer guarantee u a place in imperial?

If and only if you attain the grades that your offer is conditional on.
Reply 287
some ppl say that even if we meet the conditions we will b turned down if they hav oversubcribed
is that true
Reply 288
Original post by myms
some ppl say that even if we meet the conditions we will b turned down if they hav oversubcribed
is that true

Pretty sure it is a legally binding offer so they must take you on if you meet the grades. If not then it should be
Original post by myms
is that true

No, it's not true.
Got an offer from Southampton!
Reply 291
congrats on ur offers
seems like u hav got all ur offers
I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about interviews at Royal Holloway for Geology, like whats it like, questions they may ask etc... Got mine on Wednesday and I am panicking! xD
So happy though have 3 offers and two interviews from all my unis I applied for :3
Original post by myms
congrats on ur offers
seems like u hav got all ur offers

Not Oxford!

Original post by Lady_cattofkiki
I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about interviews at Royal Holloway for Geology, like whats it like, questions they may ask etc... Got mine on Wednesday and I am panicking! xD
So happy though have 3 offers and two interviews from all my unis I applied for :3

From my interview experiences so far, there's not really a lot you can prepare other than the obvious "Why Geology", "Why University X", etc. It'll probably be a very informal event and they'll try their best to make you feel at ease. I really wouldn't worry too much, make sure those questions above are answered and reread your personal statement to make sure that you know what you're talking about. I'm sure you'll be fine and well done for your three offers!
Okay, thank you!
Got an offer from Southampton!

Well done! Mind if I ask what it was?

I got an interview for geology at Imperial. Super nervous but I'm so relieved I actually got the interview.
Original post by сталкер
Well done! Mind if I ask what it was?

I got an interview for geology at Imperial. Super nervous but I'm so relieved I actually got the interview.

AAB. Well done! When's the interview?
AAB. Well done! When's the interview?

Next Wednesday! It's so soon which worries me. Is there a particular dress code for guys?
Original post by сталкер
Next Wednesday! It's so soon which worries me. Is there a particular dress code for guys?

There's no dress code. When I was there most people were dressed pretty smartly but it was all very very informal. I don't think it really matters what you wear to be honest but if you want to fit in, you might want to wear something smartish.
If I'm called for an interview at imperial what are my chances of getting an offer?
And how long does it take for an offer to come through?
Im just a little nervous but excited to right now :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending