The Student Room Group

Could AQA have marked my AS exam wrong?

I was absolutely gutted when i opened my results and saw that my overall English Literature result was a C. I was predicted an A by my teacher and had been receiving A's in all my mocks. I also got 2 UMS from an A in my course work. Also the whole of my school's English Literature department achieve 1 or 2 grades lower than we expected, even though we found the exam to be good. Is there any chance that the examiners for our school royally f****d up?
Original post by chelsiepaige17
I was absolutely gutted when i opened my results and saw that my overall English Literature result was a C. I was predicted an A by my teacher and had been receiving A's in all my mocks. I also got 2 UMS from an A in my course work. Also the whole of my school's English Literature department achieve 1 or 2 grades lower than we expected, even though we found the exam to be good. Is there any chance that the examiners for our school royally f****d up?

I had that with one of my subjects at AS level a few years back (also AQA incidentally), where all barring a few grades were significantly lower than expected. The department had them remarked and many marks went up, some by a grade or two. You may want to ask your department whether they will be remarking them, or alternatively have your paper remarked to see if it goes up. This isn't necessarily to say that it will go up, the fault could lie with the teaching of your English Literature department and not the examiner, but I'd be tempted to go with it being a marking error and see what your school are doing about a remark.

It is a possibility, but it is also unlikely. Big mess-ups can happen (a much more serious one happened in my GCSE Geography class where the entire class was remarked and a number of people went up 3 or more grades) but situations like these are really rare. You could enter your work for a remark if you want, which might not be a bad idea if you're convinced that you got a dodgy examiner (I'm surprised your school hasn't already done this if you got 2 grades lower than predicted). However, I wouldn't be too optimistic. Situations like these are rare. Best of luck though :/
Having the same problem with AQA English Lit, but with my coursework. It was marked in school as a high A grade but has dropped to a C grade at moderation, giving me a B. I genuinely don't think it was worth a C grade and am definitely getting it remarked. Quite a few people are in the same boat as me; I'd definitely recommend that you get your paper remarked.
Thank you for all your replies :smile: If the department don't appeal, i will defo get it remarked! I may sound arrogant but i know what i am capable off and i really doubt that i got a D in my exam :/
Thank you for all your replies :smile: If the department don't appeal, i will defo get it remarked! I may sound arrogant but i know what i am capable off and i really doubt that i got a D in my exam :/

I don't think that it's arrogant at all; you're simply interpreting the evidence at hand, and that evidence suggests that you should have got higher.
Original post by toronto353
I don't think that it's arrogant at all; you're simply interpreting the evidence at hand, and that evidence suggests that you should have got higher.

Thank you and thank you for your advice. I've been freaking out over it :P
Thank you and thank you for your advice. I've been freaking out over it :P

You're welcome and that's natural. The key thing is to keep a level head and then seek a remark and let the process take its course. It's not unknown for marks to go up by quite a bit (see this thread for some quite monumental increases). As I say, it may not go up and may be a coincidence that everyone's marks are low. Your mark may even go down, but something seems odd and I think that it's more likely that something has gone wrong with the marking, as with my experience.

I think it is definitely worth getting a remark but only if you do genuinely think you did well in the exam. This also happened to me and some of my friends, I ended up with a an A overall but got a B in the exam which was so unexpected as I had been doing well in english from the beginning of year 12.

We're having the exact same problem with our English Lit class :frown: I've been working at an A throughout the year, getting one in my February mock, to get an E in the exam which I thought I did well in :s-smilie: Got a B in the coursework so a C overall, but we really can't believe that this has happened :frown: I think our department has made an enquiry so fingers crossed something good happens :wink:
I would definitely appeal! AQA is a terrible exam board for messing up grades. I got a sociology exam remarked after getting an E! I ended up jumping up 17 marks. How the hell did they miss out 17 marks?
Original post by AaronHarding95
I would definitely appeal! AQA is a terrible exam board for messing up grades. I got a sociology exam remarked after getting an E! I ended up jumping up 17 marks. How the hell did they miss out 17 marks?

That's actually ridiculous! I think some examiners are just idiots tbh
That's actually ridiculous! I think some examiners are just idiots tbh

It's one of the biggest flaws in our education system sadly! It was as if they just completely skipped marking one of my essay's! Oh well - I achieved an A so **** AQA trying to screw me over :biggrin:
Original post by AaronHarding95
It's one of the biggest flaws in our education system sadly! It was as if they just completely skipped marking one of my essay's! Oh well - I achieved an A so **** AQA trying to screw me over :biggrin:

Well done :smile: I'm defo going to get a remark. I'm either delusional about how good i am at English Lit or AQA are crap...
Reply 14
I'm in a similar situation, I thought biology biol4 went amazingly and i end up I get a low C, I was absolutely devastated, I don't know what to do next because I thought I'd done so much better, my mark was 48/75 so I'd lost 27 marks which just doesn't make sense to me, especially when I was so sure I'd done well :frown:
Original post by bladex
I'm in a similar situation, I thought biology biol4 went amazingly and i end up I get a low C, I was absolutely devastated, I don't know what to do next because I thought I'd done so much better, my mark was 48/75 so I'd lost 27 marks which just doesn't make sense to me, especially when I was so sure I'd done well :frown:

Did anyone else in your class get lower than expected? I know Biology isn't marked the same as English Lit but it could be a fault with the markers or a fault with the teaching
Reply 16
Did anyone else in your class get lower than expected? I know Biology isn't marked the same as English Lit but it could be a fault with the markers or a fault with the teaching

I actually don't know :frown: I don't know if its worth getting a remark, and I'm thinking it could be something like my handwritinh because it is quite scruffy and my teacher kept telling me I'd lose marks for it :/

Quick Reply

Latest