The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chlorophile
Fair enough, I'm on Edexcel. Can't really compare!

I'm sorry, that's just utter nonsense. In my opinion, FP1 is the hardest of the X1 modules by quite a bit.

I wouldn't really agree. I find it to be really quite easy.

The only thing that might make it difficult is that it introduces odd concepts that haven't been covered in the standard maths a level.
But after C4 and C3 it just seems very basic.

If you look at the exam questions they really aren't that difficult.
(edited 9 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Iridann
I wouldn't really agree. I find it to be really quite easy.

The only thing that might make it difficult is that it introduces odd concepts that haven't been covered in the standard maths a level.
But after C4 and C3 it just seems very basic.

If you look at the exam questions they really aren't that difficult.

How? I also don't think that FP1 was a overly taxing module but I don't understand how you can claim it's C1 level. C1 is barely harder than GCSE, FP1 is a proper AS unit. I totally agree that it feels basic after C3 and C4 but it's still not comparable to C1.
How? I also don't think that FP1 was a overly taxing module but I don't understand how you can claim it's C1 level. C1 is barely harder than GCSE, FP1 is a proper AS unit. I totally agree that it feels basic after C3 and C4 but it's still not comparable to C1.

It's probably due to the stupid amount of time our teacher is spending on it. I did the A2 in year 12 and am doing further this year so I ended up doing a bit of it in the summer with a family friend and he literally just chucked an exam paper at me and sat down with me as I did it. No big problems.

It's funny you should say the GCSE comment, I dropped below 90 on my C2 because I couldn't remember some GCSE maths theories.
Original post by Iridann
It's probably due to the stupid amount of time our teacher is spending on it. I did the A2 in year 12 and am doing further this year so I ended up doing a bit of it in the summer with a family friend and he literally just chucked an exam paper at me and sat down with me as I did it. No big problems.

It's funny you should say the GCSE comment, I dropped below 90 on my C2 because I couldn't remember some GCSE maths theories.

Oh dear... Which question was that? I've completely forgotten all the exams last year, just remember that lots of people were moaning about the C2 exam?
Oh dear... Which question was that? I've completely forgotten all the exams last year, just remember that lots of people were moaning about the C2 exam?

Something to do with a circle, can't remember anything except it wasn't mathematically difficult.

To be fair none of the edexcel exams for maths last year were very challenging, I'm just very good at making stupid mistakes.

I should have written about that on my personal statement haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Iridann
Something to do with a circle, can't remember anything except it wasn't mathematically difficult.

To be fair none of the edexcel exams for maths last year were very challenging, I'm just very good at making stupid mistakes.

I realised I misread a question right at the end of the M1 exam, got totally paranoid and insane in the D1 exam and then post-results realised I hadn't misread the question in the first place.
I realised I misread a question right at the end of the M1 exam, got totally paranoid and insane in the D1 exam and then post-results realised I hadn't misread the question in the first place.

Oh god M1. I dropped a whole question cause I put a negative in a formula where it shouldn't have had one and second guessed myself out of 11 marks. :biggrin:

Still got an A *fistpump*
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Iridann
Oh god M1. I dropped a whole question cause I put a negative in a formula where it shouldn't have had one and second guessed myself out of 11 marks. :biggrin:

Still got an A *fistpump*

Well done! What subject are you applying for?
Well done! What subject are you applying for?

Attending a computing interview on the 5th :smile:
I have so much time to prepare in between work experience and coursework haha.

How about you?
Original post by Iridann
Attending a computing interview on the 5th :smile:
I have so much time to prepare in between work experience and coursework haha.

How about you?

Good luck! I have my Geophysics interview on the 12th. I've also got work experience which is why I had to reject the initial interview offer for this Wednesday! It's all going so quickly now, all of this interview business really doesn't feel real at all! Haven't got a clue how to prepare...
Good luck! I have my Geophysics interview on the 12th. I've also got work experience which is why I had to reject the initial interview offer for this Wednesday! It's all going so quickly now, all of this interview business really doesn't feel real at all! Haven't got a clue how to prepare...

Well I figured it would be a good idea to print off a copy of my final statement and keep that on me so I have fresh in my mind the topics they may ask about, but other than that I've been doing a little bit of C1 and am hoping to squeeze in some C2 in case they ask any AS maths questions for me.

I guess they're more likely to ask me about my EPQ or various work experience placements. The big "why imperial, why computing" question is just gonna come from passion really. Nerd at heart <3
Original post by Iridann
Well I figured it would be a good idea to print off a copy of my final statement and keep that on me so I have fresh in my mind the topics they may ask about, but other than that I've been doing a little bit of C1 and am hoping to squeeze in some C2 in case they ask any AS maths questions for me.

I guess they're more likely to ask me about my EPQ or various work experience placements. The big "why imperial, why computing" question is just gonna come from passion really. Nerd at heart <3

I'm really hoping for questions on my EPQ or general interest in the subject! I could talk about that for hours. What I really don't want are hardcore oxbridge-style academic questions which apparently do happen with some tutors...
I'm really hoping for questions on my EPQ or general interest in the subject! I could talk about that for hours. What I really don't want are hardcore oxbridge-style academic questions which apparently do happen with some tutors...

Funnily enough the Oxbridge attitude to applications really dissuaded me from the place at the start of year 12.
Not that Cambridge would consider me until after my A2s with my AS grades.

I did do some of the computing MAT questions for fun though.

But I think they just want to talk to us from a motivation point of view as well as suitability for things like group projects as I know the MEng I'm applying for has some pretty intensive project.s
Hey guys!

To those of you who have received interview invites, when and how did you receive them? Was it via Track and how much warning time did you get?

Also has anyone got one for materials?

Thanks! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Hey guys!

To those of you who have received interview invites, when and how did you receive them? Was it via Track and how much warning time did you get?

Also has anyone got one for materials?

Thanks! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got it via email and have had probably 20 days notice. Idk for sure though.
Hi,

I am applicant for Biochemistry with Management. I am slightly worried about Imperial as I have heard nothing from them and I sent my application on the 9th Oct. On my track, it does say that they I am being considered. I was just wondering do imperial even write acknowledgement e-mails? What is the rough time period for them to reply for my course? I have heard that they reply within 6-8 weeks, but some of my friends have got offers in the same department
Original post by lilypadrobber
Hi,

I am applicant for Biochemistry with Management. I am slightly worried about Imperial as I have heard nothing from them and I sent my application on the 9th Oct. On my track, it does say that they I am being considered. I was just wondering do imperial even write acknowledgement e-mails? What is the rough time period for them to reply for my course? I have heard that they reply within 6-8 weeks, but some of my friends have got offers in the same department

I'm going for biochemistry and a year in research, I thought they didn't send confirmation emails, but I got one a couple of weeks back. You said your friends have got offers? What courses did they apply for, as the management part of your course night be the reason you haven't heard back yet, as it requires communication between 2 departments.....
Original post by Poppyloufinch
I'm going for biochemistry and a year in research, I thought they didn't send confirmation emails, but I got one a couple of weeks back. You said your friends have got offers? What courses did they apply for, as the management part of your course night be the reason you haven't heard back yet, as it requires communication between 2 departments.....

My friends applied for Biology and Biochemistry straight. I understand that my information must be passed between two departments. Any thoughts on when I can expect to hear from them - either confirmation or offer?
Original post by lilypadrobber
My friends applied for Biology and Biochemistry straight. I understand that my information must be passed between two departments. Any thoughts on when I can expect to hear from them - either confirmation or offer?

haha now I'm worried- did your friends get good grades as all I've heard from them is an acknowledgment.... I have no clue sorry
Reply 599
Original post by arcanum96
Which board are you on for Maths, Chem and Physics?

Maths and physics is aqa and chemistry ocr. You?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending