The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AIBO1
Hi guys, I got into the JMC course with A*A*A*A (Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry) and 3 in Step III. Looking forward to meeting you guys soon. (Also have A* in an unrelated A level and B in EPQ and general studies AS, but I don't think they care about that).

Can someone tell me the differences between the JMC and computing course please, I'm seriously contemplating doing just straight computing.

I'm just doing straight maths, but based on what other people say, I'd go for just JMC.

1) The 75% of each thing is really a myth; they definitely do more work but it's not that much more, it might work out 60% each in the first year: for maths you take 2/4 modules from maths in autumn and then 2 JMC maths courses in the spring which tries to abridge 4 courses from maths (their papers do seem noticeably easier than the maths ones). On the computing side you drop the hardware half of computing, so the coursework heavy courses remain.

But in the 2nd/3rd year it's the same number of modules in total, and theres no special JMC crammed courses. I suppose you're more able to make life hard for yourself by choosing the harder / more time consuming ones than just doing computing.

2) It's fairly easy for people to change to computing (at least in the first year) if you're on JMC, but the opposite is not true.

3) Maths is very different at university to what you do at school, it's difficult to gauge right now if you would end up liking it. Look for past M1F / M1M1 lecture notes / problem sheets on the web (the 2 courses you take from maths in the autumn).

4) I would think there's only an epsilon (i.e. very small!) difference in graduate prospects between the two. You certainly have more options with JMC.

I suppose I am biased for liking maths though...
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Hi I've just got my AS results and hoping to study chemical engineering. Is it really worth applying to IMPERIALS?
Grades: 10 A* s and 3 As for GCSE
AS:
Maths:
A with 272/300UMS

Further math:
A with 252/300 UMS

physics:
A with 260/300 UMS

Economics
A with176/200 UMS

Chemistry:
B with 239/400 UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5982
Original post by Geetigirl
Hi I've just got my AS results and hoping to study chemical engineering. Is it really worth applying to IMPERIALS?
AS:
Maths:
A with 272/300UMS

Further math:
A with 252/300 UMS

physics:
A with 260/300 UMS

Economics
A with176/200 UMS

Chemistry:
B with 239/400 UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are not really going to care too much about gcses. But that B in chemistry might be a problem seeing as chemical eng is extremely competitive.
Original post by Ray7
They are not really going to care too much about gcses. But that B in chemistry might be a problem seeing as chemical eng is extremely competitive.

Oh right, yeah i definitely didn't expect it. Do you think i would even get an interview because I can still get an A* at A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right, yeah i definitely didn't expect it. Do you think i would even get an interview because I can still get an A* at A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyon can technically get an A* at A2 tbh. Applying for Chemical Engineering with a B is very risky. Tbh you will have a very good chance of getting in for Engineering other then chemical since rest are A's and great GCSE's!
Also mention you were 1 mark off an A in your reference(ask your teachers to).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by physicsmaths
Anyon can technically get an A* at A2 tbh. Applying for Chemical Engineering with a B is very risky. Tbh you will have a very good chance of getting in for Engineering other then chemical since rest are A's and great GCSE's!
Also mention you were 1 mark off an A in your reference(ask your teachers to).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah ahah I suppose. Though it's whether they can get it predicted. Yeah it's so risky. But I reall want to study it. Yeah I'm thinking of that. But thank you anyway, I hadn't thought of that! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I've just got my AS results and hoping to study engineering. Is it really worth applying to Imperial?

AS:

Maths:

A with 272/300UMS

Further math:

A with 252/300 UMS

physics:

A with 260/300 UMS

Economics

A with176/200 UMS

Chemistry:

B with 239/400 UMS

I know I've literally just posted but I was wondering if I would make a stronger candidate if I changed my course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
AS:
Maths:
A with 272/300UMS

Further math:
A with 252/300 UMS

physics:
A with 260/300 UMS

Economics
A with176/200 UMS

Chemistry:
B with 239/400 UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an offer for Imperial ChemEng (didn't make it but...) so I could give you some advice
Unless you haven't done so already, I would definitely go for a remark in chemistry as you were literally 1 UMS off the A. Bear in mind Imperial's offers almost always require an A* in Chemistry, so unless you have an A at AS it is unlikely you will be predicted an A*. Always go for the course you like, but if you are torn between, say, Chemical and Aeronautical engineering, it is more likely you will receive an offer for Aeronautical.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
I got an offer for Imperial ChemEng (didn't make it but...) so I could give you some advice
Unless you haven't done so already, I would definitely go for a remark in chemistry as you were literally 1 UMS off the A. Bear in mind Imperial's offers almost always require an A* in Chemistry, so unless you have an A at AS it is unlikely you will be predicted an A*. Always go for the course you like, but if you are torn between, say, Chemical and Aeronautical engineering, it is more likely you will receive an offer for Aeronautical.

Thank you so much for replying. Aww I'm sorry to hear that, where are you at now? If you don't mind me asking, what were your AS grades? I've already done so, for one exam of chemistry and it came back a B still. Yeah I'm guessing that, and I'm not sure I'll be predicted an A *, I mean the B was very unexpected but still. Yeah I get that, but chemical is what I've always wanted to do. I just don't think I'll apply to Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah A* at chemistry a-level for Imperial's chem eng course (even straight chem) is a very common offer.
Reply 5990
Literally can't wait for Maths at Imperial College!!! I have been (rather keenly) working on some undergrad books in preparation :smile: SO excited
Original post by Buses
Literally can't wait for Maths at Imperial College!!! I have been (rather keenly) working on some undergrad books in preparation :smile: SO excited

I thought you were going to LSE?:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5992
Original post by Mitzy09
I thought you were going to LSE?:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol that was my insurance (Business maths and stats). Though I will admit I was also strongly considering that place. I am very up and down about these things but have made my mind up in the end... hopefully.
Reply 5993
Hello everyone~
I am an Imperial maths applicant this year
trying to find some information about the maths interview but except from knowing that Imperial's (maths) interviews is quite unlike oxbridge ones I haven't got a clue what would happen if i m invited to an interview there:s-smilie:......

could anyone tell me what was the interview like:smile:? any experience, maths or not maths

P.S. I've heard someone saying that the maths offer is made based on AS+MAT results normally, interviews there are not so important?:colone:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey everyone
I also want to apply to Imperial for electrical and electronic engineering.
AS results:
Edexcel Maths : 296/300 UMS
Edexcel Further maths : 92/100 UMS (just fp1 for AS, but got 93/100 UMS from C3)
OCR Physics: 258/300 UMS
Edexcel Economics: 159/200 UMS
AQA Business studies: 170/200 UMS
Also, gold, best in year and best in school certificates from uk senior maths challenge.
So, what would you suggest?Do i have a chance to get offer from Imperial or is it worth applying? Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ramil Ahmadov
Hey everyone
I also want to apply to Imperial for electrical and electronic engineering.
AS results:
Edexcel Maths : 296/300 UMS
Edexcel Further maths : 92/100 UMS (just fp1 for AS, but got 93/100 UMS from C3)
OCR Physics: 258/300 UMS
Edexcel Economics: 159/200 UMS
AQA Business studies: 170/200 UMS
Also, gold, best in year and best in school certificates from uk senior maths challenge.
So, what would you suggest?Do i have a chance to get offer from Imperial or is it worth applying? Thanks

Definitely go for it
Definitely go for it

Alright,thank you. I'll do my best!
Definitely go for it

I got one more question if you don't mind. I decided to drop Business studies in A2 as it is among "not preferred" subjects for leading universities. I am now wondering whether i should drop Economics or not(i was 1 mark off an A in AS).
Do you think i would be in a disadvantage in competition among Imperial applicants without the fourth subject and is it a significant difference? What would you suggest me to do?
Thanks, your help is much appreciated!
Original post by Ramil Ahmadov
I got one more question if you don't mind. I decided to drop Business studies in A2 as it is among "not preferred" subjects for leading universities. I am now wondering whether i should drop Economics or not(i was 1 mark off an A in AS).
Do you think i would be in a disadvantage in competition among Imperial applicants without the fourth subject and is it a significant difference? What would you suggest me to do?
Thanks, your help is much appreciated!

Don't worry about it. I got an offer for Aeronautical, which is much more competitive than EE. I didn't have any extraordinary grades, AAAB. Just make sure you do well on the test at interview.
Original post by ubisoft
Don't worry about it. I got an offer for Aeronautical, which is much more competitive than EE. I didn't have any extraordinary grades, AAAB. Just make sure you do well on the test at interview.

Which subjects were you taking? Also, what type of test I will face in the interview?
Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending