The Student Room Group

how do you now of a girl has an sti???

i am worried
you use protection always. always.

and if she says dont, you use double protection.

duh.
If you need to ask this I don't think you're ready for sex. It's impossible to tell if she has an STI without looking at her medical records or asking her.
Original post by lemoncakeisyummy
i am worried

Hey, there's no way of telling if someone has an STI or not, so always use a condom. :smile: If you've had unprotected sex then you need to make an appointment with your local sexual health clinic for a check up. You should be going for regular check-ups if you're sexually active, even if you're using condoms. :smile:
She gets herself a full STI test and then she shows you the results. And that should happen before anyone has sex with anyone else.
As has been said, you don't. Or at least, not easily.

Quite a few STIs don't have any symptoms, so unless you test, you don't know if you have them or not. Others often do, and it is worth knowing what to look for.

In short, if you've been sexual with someone and are worried about this, you need to test.

Original post by Plumstone
She gets herself a full STI test and then she shows you the results. And that should happen before anyone has sex with anyone else.

That's what's known as 'optimistic'. It's part of what can happen at the start of a relationship - everyone should test, not just "she" - but lots of sex happens outside relationships.
Original post by unprinted

That's what's known as 'optimistic'. It's part of what can happen at the start of a relationship - everyone should test, not just "she" - but lots of sex happens outside relationships.

He asked a question and I answered it. I think it's more "optimistic" to have sex with someone, hoping that they won't pass on a disease. And of course men should get tested too, that's obvious!
If you're worried, you should both just get tested.
I think more people should start doing that before they have intercourse anyway.
If she's wearing too much makeup, she has an sti.

Spoiler

Original post by valar morghulis

lol jk. The only STI you can physically see is herpes

...but not all people with herpes show symptoms :smile:
Original post by valar morghulis
If she's wearing too much makeup, she has an sti.

Spoiler

Oh I'm not so sure about that. You can shed HSV (the virus that causes herpes) asymptomatically, and therefor can be infectious even if you have no visible lesions. There's a similar situation with genital warts which can be quite visible and the virus that can cause them (HPV.)

Quick Reply

Latest