The Student Room Group

Law transfer after your first yr, is this possible?

Hey, i was wondering I am going to Lancaster University to do law this october, and if i get a top notch mark in my first year, will i be able to transfer to a better uni for law into the 2nd year, because I aint sure how good lancaster is for law.
if this isnt posible, do u think i shud take a gap yr, retake one french module, get three a's and apply to a better uni for law?
A second question, if i do complete the 3 years at Lancaster and get a 1.1 , will i be able to do a LLM (masters in law) at a uni like cambridge or will cambridge not even consider me coz i went Lancaster..i got aabb in a levels and 7a* / 3a at gcse.

thanks for any advice

Scroll to see replies

Ok its not a 1.1 its a 1st lol. But yeah cambridge would take you with a 1st from Lancaster (subject to the rest of your application, references etc)... I don't think you have too much to worry about with Lancaster's reputation, a first from there will set you up nicely (big assumption that you will get a first there... its not as easy as getting As at school you know!)
Reply 2
Actually a lot of universities dont like transfers, and their take on it is something like "We filled up the course in year one, so there will be no spaces for year 2 entry".

But, there would be no reason why Cambridge wouldn't take you with a 1st from Lancaster if the rest of your application is good.
Pretty unlikey that you could get a transfer, unless there were some big mitigating circumstances involved. I know Durham don't accept any transfers, and I'm presuming a lot of the competitive uni's are the same.
Don't worry too much about Lancaster though. You could do a lot worse. Good luck getting that, er, 1.1 :wink:
Reply 4
ok so say im the most swattiest guy ever, and i do manage to get a first from lancaster....:rolleyes: , ive got a chance.

do any of u think i shud take a gap yr and go straight to a better uni ?
Reply 5
Where did you apply this year?
Reply 6
this yr i applied to do economics at lse, ucl, oxford, manchester, city uni and edinburgh. got rejected by lse and oxford, got offers from the rest, but missed my ucl offer by a few marks. i rejected city, edin and manchester. so i got into clearing and law was always my 2nd choice since no good places for economics. lancaster was only 'good' place left for law...but im reconsidering my options.
sul
this yr i applied to do economics at lse, ucl, oxford, manchester, city uni and edinburgh. got rejected by lse and oxford, got offers from the rest, but missed my ucl offer by a few marks. i rejected city, edin and manchester. so i got into clearing and law was always my 2nd choice since no good places for economics. lancaster was only 'good' place left for law...but im reconsidering my options.

What were your grades?
Remember that all the 'good' law places need AAA nowadays or, at the biggest push, AAB.
Loads and loads of people fail contract in first year at Nottm, like 1/5 ... but I dont think they accept transfers from other places (mainly because those who seek to transfer would be from "lesser" schools and they take the view that their first year wont have been as good as Nottms...)
Lewis: do you ever sleep?
Reply 10
Thats what I was thinking:p:
Reply 11
sul

Newcastle, Northumbria etc aren't 'good' for Law?:rolleyes:
Reply 12
i got aabb in maths, economics, french and f maths respectively.........just 10 ums marks from an A in french, and 22 in f maths...shud i resit and reapply?
Its only 8pm ... and in response to your question only for about 5 hours a night lol
sul
i got aabb in maths, economics, french and f maths respectively.........just 10 ums marks from an A in french, and 22 in f maths...shud i resit and reapply?

10 & 22 marks are a long way of considering you ony need 480 to get an A. Its up to you, if you are as unhappy as you sound about going to lancaster then don't do it. If you do decide to resit then make sure you do something worthwile in your gap year, I think most top unis will look down on people who have only resat a few exams. Perhaps you could consider more A levels, a full time job aswell or perhaps travelling.
I don't think there is any top 20 law school that would consider letting you transfer into its second year after one year elsewhere. None of them allow any kind of credit transfer. You would have to apply through UCAS to start again in year 1. Even then, I don't fancy your chances.
Surely a B in further maths is equivalent to an A in an initial subject ... after all he already has an A in normal maths and further maths is just really hard, I think more credit should be attached to it but hey, what does my view mean!

AAB would get you a semi-decent uni the question you have to ask is would it be worth an extra year out and you wil probably end up at somewhere equivalent to Lancaster anyway.

In reference to credit transfer I heard of someone who has applied to credit transfer to nottm for second year from St Helens ... got 65% but when I told them how few people got a first at Nottingham they commeted that my year "must be thick" ... rather narrow minded. Anyway apparently they are telling this person next week whether or not the transfer is permitted, I personally dont think it should be ... but ermmm if they are not just saying go away immediately surely they consider it? Alternatively this person is totally lying tome!
Reply 17
I tried to do a transfer ito 2nd yr of a different uni from Newcastle this year and it wa pretty much so impossible unless I went to a uni that was nowhere near as good. It wasn't that I dislike Newcastle it was more of an issue that it was so far away from home and there were certain issues at home which meant I really needed to be closer this year but at the same time I was not willing to possibly jeapordise my future so I'm completing my degree at Newcastle :smile:
Good call.
Reply 19
i think ive made my mind up...i going lancaster to do law this year, and im gonna try my hardest to get as best as i can , no messing about. then ill see wot happens, its not the end of the world lol. thanks for all ur help and reemmember not to take further maths for a level unless u wanna do maths at uni!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending