The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There are people on here who think that the sun shines out of Al-Qaeda's arse, and endorse what they are doing.
englishstudent
I agree... to an extent. But there are no religions other than Islam for which there is an inbuilt death penalty for apostates and I think that in itself is telling. In fact I think that the vast majority of Christians, Jews, Sikhs, Hindus etc would be against compulsion in religion; yes they will try to raise their children in the faith and might try to convert others, they might even go so far as to proclaim that those who don't convert to Christianity will burn in the fires of hell. But, and this is the important bit, I would be hugely surprised to hear a person of any religion other than Islam threatening physical violence in this life should their target audience not convert.

What is the reason for this difference? I believe it stems from the combined political and religious motives of Islamic extremists. To say that their actions aren't religiously motivated is blind and to say they are not Muslims is ignorant. But this isn't all there is to it. Political motivations play a part too. We will die on earth because of the political side and burn in hell because of the religious side (and the religious side of things is what justifies our death on earth - we are nothing but infidels). It's a clever little system. :rolleyes:
I agree with the second paragraph, but not with the first. Conversion at swordpoint is not the sole preserve of Islam.
Grey
If you show people a small portion of the truth sometimes they miss the point completely and start worshipping you.

You were given distrust of your body and were mesmerised with inattention and now you are bored with civilisation.

My fish likes doorhandles.
gas_panic!
There are people on here who think that the sun shines out of Al-Qaeda's arse, and endorse what they are doing.
What possible benefit could that post bring to the debate?
Agent Smith
I agree with the second paragraph, but not with the first. Conversion at swordpoint is not the sole preserve of Islam.

Is there anywhere else we see it today on a scale even comparable to Islam?
Today, no. I'll grant you that. What I was disputing was your assertion that no other religion has the inbuilt death penalty for the unbeliever.
So there are other religions which teach that one must kill those who convert away from the religion?
englishstudent
So there are other religions which teach that one must kill those who convert away from the religion?

Islam doesn't do that as far as i am aware. The people who preach it surely misinterpret, (if that is possible in a religion. Maybe the word should just be interpret) whatever the passage says?

And go back through history and look at some of the evil things Christianity did to non-believers. Eevn in the bible, there was all that town-destroying, stoning, poetic justice(with that Jezebel). Then in reality, there was all of the witch-burning...all religions have a murderous streak. Even the last pope added to millions of deaths in africa with his lies about AIDS all because of his religion. It isn't just Islam
cottonmouth
Islam doesn't do that as far as i am aware. The people who preach it surely misinterpret, (if that is possible in a religion. Maybe the word should just be interpret) whatever the passage says?

And go back through history and look at some of the evil things Christianity did to non-believers. Eevn in the bible, there was all that town-destroying, stoning, poetic justice(with that Jezebel). Then in reality, there was all of the witch-burning...all religions have a murderous streak. Even the last pope added to millions of deaths in africa with his lies about AIDS all because of his religion. It isn't just Islam

According to Shariah law (Islamic law) the penalty for apostates is death. Do you deny that?
Reply 29
cottonmouth

The Hadiths are quite clear on it... apostascy is a crime punishable by death.

It isn't just Islam

No - but 95% of it is these days.
Reply 30
englishstudent
According to Shariah law (Islamic law) the penalty for apostates is death. Do you deny that?

There is dispute on that. It isn't as clear cut as some people suggest.
Lawz-
The Hadiths are quite clear on it... apostascy is a crime punishable by death.

No - but 95% of it is these days.

Death is the punishment for loads of things in loads of religions though. What we object to then, is Islam actually sticking to its religious rules?

If it is truly the religious words that they are following, then this is the case. If it isn't and its just the way the rules have been interpreted, we should reserve our disgust for the people who preach the false crap, and not all muslims, or the religion itself.
Reply 32
cottonmouth
Death is the punishment for loads of things in loads of religions though. What we object to then, is Islam actually sticking to its religious rules?

Absolutely - though as I have said before, many Christians believe in "mosaic law" or the notion that the OT has been superceded entirely by the Gospel and Jesus's New covenant with man. As such they can often sidestep much of the "Punishment" malarky with analogy to Jesus's actions.

But yes - if most religions have odious teachings, clearly the objection to Islam is that it sticks to those teachings more closely.

If it is truly the religious words that they are following, then this is the case. If it isn't and its just the way the rules have been interpreted, we should reserve our disgust for the people who preach the false crap, and not all muslims, or the religion itself.

It's fairly clear. So clear indeed that you would be hard pushed to find an Imam who would deny that death is the required punishment for apostasy and homosexuality under Sharia Law.
Lawz-
Absolutely - though as I have said before, many Christians believe in "mosaic law" or the notion that the OT has been superceded entirely by the Gospel and Jesus's New covenant with man. As such they can often sidestep much of the "Punishment" malarky with analogy to Jesus's actions.

But yes - if most religions have odious teachings, clearly the objection to Islam is that it sticks to those teachings more closely.

It's fairly clear. So clear indeed that you would be hard pushed to find an Imam who would deny that death is the required punishment for apostasy and homosexuality under Sharia Law.

Well if it isn't ambiguous, then who are we to attack it? It isn't the fault of Muslims if their religion says that apostasy is punishable by death. Obviously, it isn't conducive to a modern, humane society, but then real religion isn't. Christianity is basically ignored by our society, because it just isn't realistic. It is a shame some Muslim countries haven't come far enough away from their archaic, inhumane sections of their religion. But what do we expect, really? We have to remember that for most Muslims (and other religions thata re very strict and dictate lifestyle), there is an element of "brainwashing" from birth. The more that are born in Western society, the less militant over time they will become. We should actually get rid of the faith schools, to at least try to show that there is another way of life.

All religions are very stupid in my opinion. My main point i suppose, is to denounce the actual religion, and not the poor people who are brainwashed into practising it. I feel that it is Muslim people forever being attacked, when it needs to be Islam, if that makes sense?
Reply 34
cottonmouth
Well if it isn't ambiguous, then who are we to attack it?

Who are we to attack the notion that it's necessary to kill people for their beliefs? Rational human beings who believe in freedom of thought perhaps?

It isn't the fault of Muslims if their religion says that apostasy is punishable by death.

It isn't their fault... but they still agree with it and subscribe to it.

If someone supported the KKK's morality, but didn't CREATE that morality do we say "we shouldn't blame you, it's not YOUR fault that your charter says whites should be a master race"?

Obviously, it isn't conducive to a modern, humane society, but then real religion isn't.

Depends which religion.

Christianity is basically ignored by our society, because it just isn't realistic. It is a shame some Muslim countries haven't come far enough away from their archaic, inhumane sections of their religion. But what do we expect, really? We have to remember that for most Muslims (and other religions thata re very strict and dictate lifestyle), there is an element of "brainwashing" from birth. The more that are born in Western society, the less militant over time they will become.

That simply doesnt follow. Extremism and religiousity is on the rise, especially in Britain. It's well known that many of the younger generation are MORE devout and religious than those who are 40 or so. The notion that the inhumanity of Islam is being slowly bred out of people in the west simply isnt true.

We should actually get rid of the faith schools, to at least try to show that there is another way of life.

Absolutely.

All religions are very stupid in my opinion. My main point i suppose, is to denounce the actual religion, and not the poor people who are brainwashed into practising it.

You think over 3 or 4 billion people are "brainwashed" to an extent to excuse them from all blame for the beliefs they hold?

Again - would the same apply to racists?

I feel that it is Muslim people forever being attacked, when it needs to be Islam, if that makes sense?

Well you attackt the ideas, and also the beliefs of the people who subscribe to those ideas. unfortunately, an attack on a person's beliefs and moral system is in many ways an attack on them...
Lawz-
Who are we to attack the notion that it's necessary to kill people for their beliefs? Rational human beings who believe in freedom of thought perhaps?

It isn't their fault... but they still agree with it and subscribe to it.

If someone supported the KKK's morality, but didn't CREATE that morality do we say "we shouldn't blame you, it's not YOUR fault that your charter says whites should be a master race"?

Depends which religion.

That simply doesnt follow. Extremism and religiousity is on the rise, especially in Britain. It's well known that many of the younger generation are MORE devout and religious than those who are 40 or so. The notion that the inhumanity of Islam is being slowly bred out of people in the west simply isnt true.

Absolutely.

You think over 3 or 4 billion people are "brainwashed" to an extent to excuse them from all blame for the beliefs they hold?

Again - would the same apply to racists?

Well you attackt the ideas, and also the beliefs of the people who subscribe to those ideas. unfortunately, an attack on a person's beliefs and moral system is in many ways an attack on them...

Haha, i don't really see the point in debating the point, because i'm finding it difficult to fight the corner for Islam in this sense. I have never ever believed in religion, and i've always found it causes more problems than anything else in the world. So why did i even bother posting anything? Maybe i just like arguing for the sake of it.

I will push my point about integrating young Muslims though. I don't believe it is "widely known" that more young ones are extreme than old. They are being preached to BY the older ones, are they not? I believe it CAN be bred out of people born into Western societies, if only we allow it, instead of grouping them up and labelling them. We don't want self-fulfilling propepehcies creating more bombers.
Reply 36
I'm sure this is another misinterpretation that Muslims go on about, instead of 'kill' it means 'give big hugs too'.
Reply 37
[Devil's Advocate]
The bible prescribed death by stoning for apostates.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10.
[/Devil's Advocate]
Yeah, that's true - I'd forgotten that particularly delightful passage.

I suppose that the difference is that the implementation of Shariah law is something Muslims must strive for and according to orthodox interpretation it does demand the death penalty for apostates. (article)

But then the fact that Christians are willing to overlook the brutality of their holy text on the one hand, and on the other use it to justify making the lives of homosexuals difficult or encouraging the spread of HIV by objecting to condoms, is simply hypocrisy.

Still, I can't complain that Christian apostates tend to survive otherwise I would have been stoned long ago (and not in the good sense!)
cottonmouth
we should reserve our disgust for ... not all muslims, or the religion itself.

cottonmouth
My main point i suppose, is to denounce the actual religion

Uhm, you haven't really thought this through, have you? You've just contradicted your own 'main point'. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending