The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ZERO-DESI
In every religion, there are people who go to extremes. Correct? Al-Qaeda is a terrorist organisation that has gone to extremes, so far, that by Islamic standards, they have strayed from the original religion of Islam. A person is not a believer in his own religion anymore if he takes religious matters into his own hands and start making his own "fatwas"/"doctrines". When this happens, when a person has been misguided about a certain point in an article, then he is enroute to deviating from the original path. This is what Al-Qaeda have done. Im sure the vast majority of Muslims around the globe would object to wat Al-Qaeda have to stand for. I certainly do. It is a sorry fact that many of the values of the original religion have been masked by the activites of that group.
Okay, also, what do most terrorist organisations want? Does Al-Qaeda want money? I somehow dotn think so. I dont see them robbign banks. There must be some fanatics out there who are crazy enough to fund these lackeys. Okay, so do Al-Qaeda want Publicity? I would safely say that they would. They want the world to know that they are around. That they are bringing judgement day to the non-muslims. They want the world to know their sick ways. They like to release tapes of their violence. Al-Qaesa also probably want "mass-conversion" of the human race. I somehow dont think I see this happening anytime soon. They are a society that have mixed up falsehood with Islam. The point Im trying to make is, that if your brother ate the last cookie in the cookie jar, that doesnt mean that you should be blamed for it? A feeble argument, yes, and slighlty clichéd but it gets the point through. What Al-Qaeda stands for is nothing compared to what the real Islam stands for. Islam shouldnt be labelled as a terrorist religion for the actions of others.

Here we go again...

1) Who speaks for the "original religion" of Islam?
2) If it's such a peaceful religion, how come so many people are reading so correctly into it as to get a violent message out of it?
3) Why is there a noticeable lack of "moderate" Muslims actively condemning the attrocities that the Muslims of the world are guilty of?

Simply put, thousands of Muslims go out on the streets condemning Israel for killing a few thousand Muslims (in a denfensive war, but that's not the point) and yet when Muslims kill each other, where's the condemnation? Nowhere, that's where. Even when Muslims kill non-Muslims, the MCB and MAB all say the same thing; "Stop alienating Islam!", yet they refuse to stop alienating the Western world by demanding Sharia law to become applicable in Muslim dominated areas, and call for cartoons oftheir prophet to be banned because they are offended!
Reply 61
ForeverIsMyName
Here we go again...

Im sorry, did I miss anything? :smile:

ForeverIsMyName
1) Who speaks for the "original religion" of Islam?

I speak for the original religion of Islam, I dont go around threatening people with a sword and saying convert in the name of Islam. I get your sort of comments all the time, but I take it on the chin. Because I know that I condemn them.

ForeverIsMyName
2) If it's such a peaceful religion, how come so many people are reading so correctly into it as to get a violent message out of it?

Pardon Me? I dont think you understand what Im trying to say. SO MANY PEOPLE ARE READING INTO TO IT INCORRECTLY? Im afraid that statement is wrong. Al-Qaeda are the only people who are reading into it wrong. Your local muslim could be a terrorist, but he could be a regular? The vast majority of people around the world reject the ideas of the fanatics! Jeez, youre making it sound like a disgusting religion? Howabout I relate to the christian crusades in history? The barbaris acts and murders that were said in the name of christianity just to reclaim some land in the middle east?? If the world took that stance, Im afraid we would be set in another dark ages.

ForeverIsMyName
3) Why is there a noticeable lack of "moderate" Muslims actively condemning the attrocities that the Muslims of the world are guilty of?

Noticeable lack? I speak for myself and my religion. What else do you want me to do? Go tell it to the tom dick and harry (that are muslim) down the road. Muslims of the world? Guilty? Dont talk rubbish, you blaming all muslims for september 11? :confused: You blaming all muslims for the bombing of the S.S. Cole? :confused: You blaming all Muslims for the bali bombing in indonesia?:confused: You blaming the muslims of the world for the bombing of an embassy in africa? :confused: You blaming the MUSLIMS OF THE GODAMN WORLD for what the extremeist minorites do in their spare time? How narrow minded of you!

ForeverIsMyName
Simply put, thousands of Muslims go out on the streets condemning Israel for killing a few thousand Muslims (in a denfensive war, but that's not the point) and yet when Muslims kill each other, where's the condemnation?

Im afraid that is the point.

ForeverIsMyName
Nowhere, that's where. Even when Muslims kill non-Muslims, the MCB and MAB all say the same thing; "Stop alienating Islam!", yet they refuse to stop alienating the Western world by demanding Sharia law to become applicable in Muslim dominated areas, and call for cartoons oftheir prophet to be banned because they are offended!

They can ask for sharia law, but they will never be given it. I say that we live in another country, so follow the rules. And I dont exactly understand your last paragraph, what exactly are you trying to prove?
Reply 62
Im still waiting for criticism......:smile:
ZERO-DESI
Im sorry, did I miss anything? :smile:

Yeah, quite a bit. Me and some other members of this forum regular deal with posts like this. Never mind.

ZERO-DESI
I speak for the original religion of Islam, I dont go around threatening people with a sword and saying convert in the name of Islam. I get your sort of comments all the time, but I take it on the chin. Because I know that I condemn them.

What makes your interpretation more valid than theirs? They've probably read more of the Quran than you and spent more time studying it, yet you claim that they are wrong, and they will claim the same thing about you. Saying something like "They don't speak for real Islam" means nothing, at all.

ZERO-DESI
Pardon Me? I dont think you understand what Im trying to say. SO MANY PEOPLE ARE READING INTO TO IT INCORRECTLY? Im afraid that statement is wrong. Al-Qaeda are the only people who are reading into it wrong. Your local muslim could be a terrorist, but he could be a regular? The vast majority of people around the world reject the ideas of the fanatics! Jeez, youre making it sound like a disgusting religion? Howabout I relate to the christian crusades in history? The barbaris acts and murders that were said in the name of christianity just to reclaim some land in the middle east?? If the world took that stance, Im afraid we would be set in another dark ages.

Al Queda isn't the only militant Islamic group killing hundreds of innocent people you know? They do it all the time, and there is a much bigger proportion of militant groups killing people in Islam than in any other mainstream religion. I wonder why that is....

And yes, the crusades were part of militant Christianity, but that was 800 years ago. Islam is still killing innocents to this present day.

ZERO-DESI
Noticeable lack? I speak for myself and my religion. What else do you want me to do? Go tell it to the tom dick and harry (that are muslim) down the road. Muslims of the world? Guilty? Dont talk rubbish, you blaming all muslims for september 11? :confused: You blaming all muslims for the bombing of the S.S. Cole? :confused: You blaming all Muslims for the bali bombing in indonesia?:confused: You blaming the muslims of the world for the bombing of an embassy in africa? :confused: You blaming the MUSLIMS OF THE GODAMN WORLD for what the extremeist minorites do in their spare time? How narrow minded of you!

What gives you the authority to speak for Islam? Oh right, you don't have any. As a religion/cult/group etc etc you are responsible for what your members do, you are lumped in with them. Yes, there are moderate Muslims, but at the moment they seem to be in a minority, and if they DO condemn the attacks on innocent people, they aren't very good at vocalising it.

ZERO-DESI
Im afraid that is the point.

Yes it is, where is the condemnation when Muslims kill each other, and lets get this straight, Muslims kill more of each other than Jews, Christian's and Atheists have over the past 50 years. No condemnation.

ZERO-DESI
They can ask for sharia law, but they will never be given it. I say that we live in another country, so follow the rules. And I dont exactly understand your last paragraph, what exactly are you trying to prove?

I'm trying to prove that major Islamic organsations are guilty of double standards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFXD_GUY6y8

This demonstrates my point rather well.
Reply 65
Ah Ok......I see where you are coming from....You trying to tell me that i am wrong? In following my religion? And I agree with you, many islamic groups ARE guilty of double standards. But it looks like you are bent on the idea that Islam is a terrorists religion, okay, every one to their own opinion, I respect that. But tell me, wat other millitant islamic organisation other than al-qaeda are there? Prove it! I dont think there are....
I dont wish to discuss this topic anymore, with people who think that Islam is a bad religion, because, in fact, those sort of comments offend me.
And yor point, "what gives me the authority to speak for Islam?" OMG...well....Im a muslim, so I have a say in it....duh!
No, and btw, we are not responsible....if so, then youre responsible for the crusades that happend 800 years ago? :smile:
Anyway, to end on a lighter note, this heated argument stays in THIS thread, and I wont, and I hope you wont judge me outside of this thread?
Reply 66
tehjonny
Whats wrong with issuing threats unless we all convert...you work it out, I don't think you need to be told.

Christians don't, as a rule, go around threatening people with physical harm unless they themselves become Christians.

you christians spend 2 much money to lure poor,so called "pagans " to embrace your faith and how much is that better from the threat of al-queda?
your prophet hugs a lamb before the masses and after the masses depart he kills it and eats it. you ppl sell poisoned bread.
praveen_34
you christians spend 2 much money to lure poor,so called "pagans " to embrace your faith and how much is that better from the threat of al-queda?
your prophet hugs a lamb before the masses and after the masses depart he kills it and eats it. you ppl sell poisoned bread.

I'm sorry, but are you mental?
Reply 68
ForeverIsMyName
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFXD_GUY6y8

This demonstrates my point rather well.

A very interesting video, but let me show you my own now! :smile:

http://www.sydneymuslimyouth.com/visual.html
Now click the link in the download section saying "ever wonder" with the kid on it...

Thanks....
Reply 69
Do you see my point now? :smile:
Reply 70
gas_panic!

LOL....
Reply 71
Oh yeh, and btw, you and your people dael with posts like this regualrly eh? So posting "crap" by your standards is a sin? Youre making it sound like my post is full of sh*t....

Its a forum, a place to discuss...lol...no-one HAS to agree...
Reply 73
LOL JACk.....you really lighted up the mood now!

heheh
Reply 74
gas_panic!

were not most of african tribesmen converted to christianity by the missionaries?what is their fate today?are they not dying?
praveen_34
were not most of african tribesmen converted to christianity by the missionaries?what is their fate today?are they not dying?

I've no idea why... but idiots make me feel better about myself. Is that immoral?
ZERO-DESI
Ah Ok......I see where you are coming from....You trying to tell me that i am wrong? In following my religion?

No, I'm trying to tell you that your religion isn't peaceful.

ZERO-DESI
And I agree with you, many islamic groups ARE guilty of double standards. But it looks like you are bent on the idea that Islam is a terrorists religion, okay, every one to their own opinion, I respect that. But tell me, wat other millitant islamic organisation other than al-qaeda are there? Prove it! I dont think there are....

Hezbollah, The Muslim Brotherhood, Islamic Jihad?

ZERO-DESI
And yor point, "what gives me the authority to speak for Islam?" OMG...well....Im a muslim, so I have a say in it....duh!

So are they, yet you're saying they do not have the authority to represent Islam; I'm saying neither of you do, but you're both Muslims. Groups should be judged by their actions, and all parts of the group are somewhat responsible for the immoral actions. If they do not wish to be held responsible, they need to make it clear that they will not tolerate extremisim, and actively condemn Islamic extremism. The Islamic communities are especially guilty of remaining silent on attrocities commited by other Muslims.

ZERO-DESI
No, and btw, we are not responsible....if so, then youre responsible for the crusades that happend 800 years ago? :smile:

800 years ago...

Now...

Big difference.

Besides which, I'm an atheist.

ZERO-DESI
Anyway, to end on a lighter note, this heated argument stays in THIS thread, and I wont, and I hope you wont judge me outside of this thread?

Well my first contact of you is this, so this may stick in my mind, and affect my viewing of you if I see some of your opinions on situations that Muslims frequently comment on, for example, the Middle East crisis. A Muslim commenting on the situation with Israel/Lebanon often displays significant bias...

As one of the TSR polls pointed out, the vast majority or christians, atheists and jews thought that Nasrallah, leader of Hezbollah was a terrorist (The percentage was around 80-85%), whilst only 20% of Muslims believed he was, despite the fact that his group target predominantly civilian targets.
ForeverIsMyName
Yes, there are moderate Muslims, but at the moment they seem to be in a minority, and if they DO condemn the attacks on innocent people, they aren't very good at vocalising it.

lol, i'm sorry this is frankly farcical and really does a grave discredit to an otherwise reasonably sustained argument. You really should put down your copy of The Daily Mail and take a look at the wider world around you; that said even the Daily Mail occasionally back-up there assertions with the occasional fact or figure. I note with some despair such glaring ignorance from someone who would no-doubt flatter himself with the labels 'educated' and 'wordly'.

I wonder if i may ask by dint of what reasoning, source and logic you have arrived at such a laughable conclusion? May i perhaps direct your attention to the millions of muslims living peacefully in countries like indonesia, turkey, iran and saudia arabia. At the mention of those last two countries i imagine a knowing smirk will pass across your lips as you recall, perhaps with a hint of indignation, all the univocal alarmist propaganda you have been fed over the years by your western media. Having had the experience of living in both of these countries i would like to inform you, though i strongly suspected your bigoted ego would find it difficult to digest, that the 'majority' are indeed law-abiding, god-feeling 'moderates', the frankly disgusting name you westerners give to any professed muslim bereft of a cloak, beard and hook.

To understand a religion you have to understand the people and culture which gave rise to. The message of these cultures was never one of hostility. Over the years, and under western influence, cracks began to appear in these cultures and the agression you see today, shown by extremist fringe groups, was made manifest.

You asked why the lack of condemnation, perhaps you failed to hear the united condemnation expressed by the heads of every arab state after the 9/11 attacks? Or did your media not relay this message to you?

I don't want to pontificate i just feel it such a shame that people like you, who have access to such a plethora of resources, fail to make the smallest effort possible before launching into a diatribe against a religion you barely even know.
Reply 78
ForeverIsMyName

Maybe I've been trapped in a parallel reality for the past few years, but it seems to me that, everytime Osama so much as wipes his nose, a man can't walk for fear of moderate muslim groups condemning these immoral and unIslamic activities and pointing out most Muslims in the West are complete pacifists who wouldn't hurt a fly. Of course they might follow this with some nonsense about how America should probably try not to kill any children when they are taking out dictators for harming their subjects, or at least once they are in charge, but to claim there is a "noticeable lack" of condemnation seems absurd. What exactly do you want Muslim leaders to do that they aren't doing?

ZERO-DESI

I speak for the original religion of Islam.

I'm awfully sorry, but I appear to have misread your name, see it looked to me like "Zero-Desi" but on close inspection of your post I realise it must be "Prophet Mohammed". Eyes must be going in my old age, eh?

ZERO-DESI

Not sure what you mean by the last sentence but, yeah, it should be obvious to anyone with even the most tentative grasp of history that people will interpret religions to mean whatever they damn well please.
On which note: it is perfectly possible, when dealing with a body of teachings and scripture as varied and contradictory as those of Islam or Christianity, to form multiple interpretations which are equally "correct" or "valid", which is probably worth remembering for both sides of this argument. Certainly the violent fundamentalists do not represent the whole of Islam, but they represent a side of Islam, and to deny it's validity simply because it makes you look bad reduces your credibility.
In any case it is not particularly relevent, the moderate interpretation of Islam is the more moral approach, which is of vastly greater importance than at what period in his life a sixth century shaman would have agreed with it.

ZERO-DESI
Oh yeh, and btw, you and your people dael with posts like this regualrly eh? So posting "crap" by your standards is a sin? Youre making it sound like my post is full of sh*t....

I doubt FiM believes in "sin", being an atheist. Semantics aside, nowhere did he claim that holding moronic opinions was immoral. Really I'm almost convinced he's edited his post, half of what you say is responding to points he hasn't made.

ForeverIsMyName

What makes your interpretation more valid than theirs? They've probably read more of the Quran than you and spent more time studying it, yet you claim that they are wrong, and they will claim the same thing about you. Saying something like "They don't speak for real Islam" means nothing, at all.

Indeed, the "real Islam" (or "real Christianity", which gets bandied about whenever Fred Phelps/The Crusades/Jack Chick/etc are brought up) tends to mean "whoever agrees with me". I suppose the fact that certain people use such morons as an excuse to bash their religion might have something to do with it, but I doubt, if such voices were removed, the moderates would stick to purely moral condemnation. Heavens forbid that any true believer be guilty of sin, after all.

ForeverIsMyName
Al Queda isn't the only militant Islamic group killing hundreds of innocent people you know? They do it all the time, and there is a much bigger proportion of militant groups killing people in Islam than in any other mainstream religion. I wonder why that is....

Funnily enough most of the militant Christian groups tend to be clustered in Africa, South America, etc (think of the Lord's Resistance Army, then tell me again how Al-Qaeda's activities reflect badly on Islam) you know, poor places with lots of social unrest- like, say, The Middle East. Obviously, this is just a coincidence though.

ForeverIsMyName
And yes, the crusades were part of militant Christianity, but that was 800 years ago. Islam is still killing innocents to this present day.

You start, but you don't finish. What do you think happened in those 800 years exactly, did the different sides find the "true" nature of their religion, or did their fortunes reverse?

ForeverIsMyName
What gives you the authority to speak for Islam? Oh right, you don't have any. As a religion/cult/group etc etc you are responsible for what your members do, you are lumped in with them. Yes, there are moderate Muslims, but at the moment they seem to be in a minority, and if they DO condemn the attacks on innocent people, they aren't very good at vocalising it.

Nonsense- Germans aren't responsible for the Holocaust, Jews aren't responsible for the crucifixion, Brits aren't responsible for...well...where do I start. For what it's worth, Moderate Christians are in the minority too but you wouldn't know it because nobody gives a damn what goes on in Africa.

ForeverIsMyName
Yes it is, where is the condemnation when Muslims kill each other, and lets get this straight, Muslims kill more of each other than Jews, Christian's and Atheists have over the past 50 years. No condemnation.

Heh, I keep imagining you repeatedly re-writing this part as you remember some great atrocity: "past 500- no wait crap, Reformation- past 100 - damn Holocaust- past 50 years". However, you seem to have forgotten about Stalin's purges (although, one could argue, that since he was not doing that as an atheist it does not count)

praveen_34

Well, missionaries tend to do vital charity work in between threatening eternal damnation, and Al-Qaeda kidnap and murder charity worker's because of their nationality...Not really seeing the connection here. If you're referring to the early Christians who were rather more brutal in their methods, well...yes that's kind of what we're trying to say, Al Qaeda have a Dark Ages mentality. Glad we could agree

praveen_34

I have no idea what you are talking about here, but I'd like to remind you that the only non-muslims holding a sustained discussion on this thread are either Atheists, and we tend, as a rule, to be rather suspicious of prophets. If you're being metaphorical, please stick to less fanciful, more understandable comparisons and, for the love of space, use proper spelling and grammar when doing so. Your words lose all their poetry when you spell people "ppl".

praveen_34

Oh of course, Christianity is obviously the source of their problems, thank you for showing me the light praveen. Silly fool that I am, I had followed common sense and the overwhelming opinion of historical authorities that Africa's problems stemmed from centuries of colonial opression, but now I can see the truth, if they'd stuck with Chiuta, they'd be fine as rain.

Edit:
prince of persia
Having had the experience of living in both of these countries i would like to inform you, though i strongly suspected your bigoted ego would find it difficult to digest, that the 'majority' are indeed law-abiding, god-feeling 'moderates', the frankly disgusting name you westerners give to any professed muslim bereft of a cloak, beard and hook.

This is such an amusing put-down, in such a great post, I feel troubled attacking it, but, surely now, you must have seen Christians in the West happily using the word "moderate", in reference to themselves, as a synonym for "doesn't think gays should be burnt at stake while the women cook us one where they belong" and "can read a biology text book without exploding from Cognitive Dissonance". You're really reading too much into that phrase, it has varying levels of strength depending on context, and just because it's used to mean "not a complete moron" should not be used to imply that the belief set in question is two steps from foaming-at-the-mouth insanity, unless Western Christians are even more neurotic than all those Catholic jokes make out.
prince of persia
lol, i'm sorry this is frankly farcical and really does a grave discredit to an otherwise reasonably sustained argument. You really should put down your copy of The Daily Mail and take a look at the wider world around you; that said even the Daily Mail occasionally back-up there assertions with the occasional fact or figure. I note with some despair such glaring ignorance from someone who would no-doubt flatter himself with the labels 'educated' and 'wordly'.

Don't read the Daily Mail, not ever.

prince of persia
I wonder if i may ask by dint of what reasoning, source and logic you have arrived at such a laughable conclusion? May i perhaps direct your attention to the millions of muslims living peacefully in countries like indonesia, turkey, iran and saudia arabia. At the mention of those last two countries i imagine a knowing smirk will pass across your lips as you recall, perhaps with a hint of indignation, all the univocal alarmist propaganda you have been fed over the years by your western media. Having had the experience of living in both of these countries i would like to inform you, though i strongly suspected your bigoted ego would find it difficult to digest, that the 'majority' are indeed law-abiding, god-feeling 'moderates', the frankly disgusting name you westerners give to any professed muslim bereft of a cloak, beard and hook.

Iran wants to wipe Israel off the map, and Saudi Arabia has a terrible human rights record. And stop with the insults, please. It's embarassing.

prince of persia
To understand a religion you have to understand the people and culture which gave rise to. The message of these cultures was never one of hostility. Over the years, and under western influence, cracks began to appear in these cultures and the agression you see today, shown by extremist fringe groups, was made manifest.

Again, so the Muslim's kill each other because of the West; The West MADE them kill each other?

prince of persia
You asked why the lack of condemnation, perhaps you failed to hear the united condemnation expressed by the heads of every arab state after the 9/11 attacks? Or did your media not relay this message to you?

I'm not talking about heads of state, I'm talking about Muslims generally, a very large minority of whom support terrorism and have engaged in acts of terrorism.

But hey...

"We will not accept in [Saudi Arabia] even a single soldier who will attack Muslims or Arabs."

The Saudi crown prince, giving his reasons for not letting America use air bases within Saudi Arabia for the war on terror.

The Iranian president of the time condemned the attacks, this much is true, but the modern one does not.

prince of persia
I don't want to pontificate i just feel it such a shame that people like you, who have access to such a plethora of resources, fail to make the smallest effort possible before launching into a diatribe against a religion you barely even know.

I don't need to know it to see it's effects.

Latest

Trending

Trending