The Student Room Group

can I apply to more uni's after the 15th october if I apply to oxbridge?

hi
Would it be possible to apply to just oxbridge by 15th october and then apply to the other four, say around november time?

thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Monkey246
hi
Would it be possible to apply to just oxbridge by 15th october and then apply to the other four, say around november time?

Very much doubt it since it all goes together in one application...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Yes you can.
Yeah you can. But you'd have to pay the remaining amount before you can add more choices
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Yeah you can. But you'd have to pay the remaining amount before you can add more choices

*Made a mistake in this post, bobk is right*

Incidentally OP, if you're doing this because you've heard things about universities rejecting those they think are applying to Oxbridge, then those are nothing but rumours.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PythianLegume
I think you pay the fee regardless of how many you apply for, based on what it says here: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training/filling-in-your-application

So it's £19 for any and all applications.

Incidentally OP, if you're doing this because you've heard things about universities rejecting those they think are applying to Oxbridge, then those are nothing but rumours.

Wtf is apply 1 and apply 2?

I'm assuming they've changed things because this cycle you paid £12 (I think) for one choice and £21(I think) for more
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Wtf is apply 1 and apply 2?

I'm assuming they've changed things because this cycle you paid £12 (I think) for one choice and £21(I think) for more

How silly of me, I simply looked at the first google link, which was for teacher training. :colondollar:
Reply 7
Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

*Made a mistake in this post, bobk is right*

im not, i know addmissions tutors are (hopefully!) not so childish as to do that, its just I want some more time to think about where I want to apply :smile:
hi

I'm quite sure that's not possible as you can only send an application once. The only alternative option would be to apply much later through Adjustment. I'm not sure when Adjustment is opened. And I strongly disagree with rumours that universities suspecting an applicant has applied to Oxbridge would be less willing to give an offer - plenty of people apply early on and aren't applying for Oxbridge/Medicine etc. and statistically only 1 in 4 or 5 Oxbridge applicants receives an offer.
How silly of me, I simply looked at the first google link, which was for teacher training. :colondollar:

Yeah I checked it out and it was what I suggested before but £12 and £23 respectively :smile:

Original post by Edd Rochford
I'm quite sure that's not possible as you can only send an application once. The only alternative option would be to apply much later through Adjustment. I'm not sure when Adjustment is opened. And I strongly disagree with rumours that universities suspecting an applicant has applied to Oxbridge would be less willing to give an offer - plenty of people apply early on and aren't applying for Oxbridge/Medicine etc. and statistically only 1 in 4 or 5 Oxbridge applicants receives an offer.

It is possible. You just add another choice on track. I know because I did it, and I also changed choices on track (you have up to 7 days after sending off your application to do this). Adjustment opens late February
It's in fact better for other well reputable unis as they try and give you offers before your Oxbridge interview to lure you away from Oxbridge and go to like Imperial UCL Bristol etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi

I did this when I applied - it's definitely possible :smile:
Reply 12
hi

Hi, from the sounds of it it is possible however you should probably still try to apply early, it makes you seem more organised and enthusiastic. I applied to Durham, Bath, Warwick, Bristol and Exeter on 3rd October last year (if I remember correctly, maybe a couple of days before/after) and had offer on 15th Oct, 18th Oct, 14th Nov, 26th Nov and 5th Dec (Durham are always slower for some reason). I remember reading on one of the uni's websites that they assume the best candidates will have sent in their application by Oct-early Nov. So by all means think about it carefully- it's an important decision- but don't delay it for too long. Good luck!
Original post by amy.2209
I remember reading on one of the uni's websites that they assume the best candidates will have sent in their application by Oct-early Nov.

Can you supply more details, because depending on the precise wording that uni could be breaking the rules on equal consideration for those who apply by January 15th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
Can you supply more details, because depending on the precise wording that uni could be breaking the rules on equal consideration for those who apply by January 15th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does not follow that, just because an admissions tutor holds a belief that the better candidates present themselves before 15 October, they also believe that no good ones present themselves later, that poor ones don't also present early or that they won't give proper consideration to all candidates. Neither does such a statement of belief break any rules.
Was definitely possible three years ago when I applied. I applied to three, and then added two more later on - I was waiting to decide which course to pick depending on whether another uni gave me an offer for the course I applied for. But you can't change your application - the same one goes to all unis no matter when you add them.
Reply 16
Original post by ageshallnot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, sorry I can't remember exactly, it was an admissions talk video, possibly by either Bath or Warwick, definitely not Durham. It might still be up if you wanted to try and find it. I don't think they're technically breaking any rules, you just have to bear in mind that they DO start handing out places before 15th January. Therefore logically the chance of an applicant getting a place is lower as time goes on since each course has a set number of places. Let me know if you have any questions about the unis I applied to, I might be able to help speed up your decision making!
Original post by amy.2209
Hey, sorry I can't remember exactly, it was an admissions talk video, possibly by either Bath or Warwick, definitely not Durham. It might still be up if you wanted to try and find it. I don't think they're technically breaking any rules, you just have to bear in mind that they DO start handing out places before 15th January. Therefore logically the chance of an applicant getting a place is lower as time goes on since each course has a set number of places. Let me know if you have any questions about the unis I applied to, I might be able to help speed up your decision making!

It is possible to add choices later for the undecided and the "logic" is flawed. Admission tutors know they get a lot of good applicants early on because those are the ones who are organised and confident about their choices, so they like to give out some offers early. But they also know that there will be late applicants who will be better than some of the early applicants and that many of their early offers will be rejected so they have spaces left for good applicants later.
I just did it all at the same time, I didn't see any good reason not to. You can add choices later though, yes.
Reply 19
One of our teachers is very close to an admissions tutor in durham, and she told me it was a wise move to stagger applications to cambridge and others, as some unis do not like being '2nd best'. I mean have you seen the amount of oxbridge rejects in durham?

Didnt matter though as i didnt end up applying for durham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending