The Student Room Group

Do I need a grade B in English Language to get into top Universities?

Heyy,

So today I received my GCSE results and i was impressed with my results apart from one.

I received 4 A*s in Maths, Additional Science, Further Additional Science and Religious Studies.

I also received 5 A's in Humanities, History, Core Science, Pshychology and Spanish.

And 2 B's in English Literature and Photography.

And a Distinction* in Business BTEC.
And a C in English Language. (Lol)

Overall I did 13 GCSE's.

I chose to do 4 A-Levels. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, (did not want to do anything to do with English, hahaa)

Sooo... I want to study maths, engineering or something similar in a relatively good uni but what I've heard is that you need at least a grade B in English language to even get in regardless of what your A level results are.

My teachers are appealing for my English language results to try and get me onto a B and if that does not work out, I will most likely retake in November but I do not want to waste my time doing retakes

Can someone please reply and provide me with some advice and answer the question in the title with maybe a little detail.

Thank you,
(edited 9 years ago)
Most of the top uni's require a B in English language but some make an exception if you get a very good grade in a different essay subject (which you will not be doing) so it might be best to retake.
Reply 2
Original post by Alex Doran
Most of the top uni's require a B in English language but some make an exception if you get a very good grade in a different essay subject (which you will not be doing) so it might be best to retake.

Does the GCSE A grade in History, Humanities or even the A* in R.E allow them to make an exception? Since they are kind off essay based subjects.
Original post by Jelly150
Does the GCSE A grade in History, Humanities or even the A* in R.E allow them to make an exception? Since they are kind off essay based subjects.

It probably has to be an essay based subject at AS level to count against the C in English, if you can retake the you probably should if you want to go to a top university.

Original post by Alex Doran
It probably has to be an essay based subject at AS level to count against the C in English, if you can retake the you probably should if you want to go to a top university.

You need to resit GCSE English. Another GCSE or an essay based AS-level cannot make up for it; GCSE English is a standardised benchmark across universities. International students have to get a certain percentage in their compulsory, university entrance GCSE-style English exams to get in, and another subject can't compensate for that. It's not about whether you can write an essay, it's about if you have got the grade in the proficiency of the technicalities of the language you will be writing university essays with, no matter what grade you've got in another essay subject.

If you apply without the minimum GCSE grade, your application will just be rejected by the computer server and nobody at the top universities will look at it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Heyy,

So today I received my GCSE results and i was impressed with my results apart from one.

I received 4 A*s in Maths, Additional Science, Further Additional Science and Religious Studies.

I also received 5 A's in Humanities, History, Core Science, Pshychology and Spanish.

And 2 B's in English Literature and Photography.

And a Distinction* in Business BTEC.
And a C in English Language. (Lol)

Overall I did 13 GCSE's.

I chose to do 4 A-Levels. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, (did not want to do anything to do with English, hahaa)

Sooo... I want to study maths, engineering or something similar in a relatively good uni but what I've heard is that you need at least a grade B in English language to even get in regardless of what your A level results are.

My teachers are appealing for my English language results to try and get me onto a B and if that does not work out, I will most likely retake in November but I do not want to waste my time doing retakes

Can someone please reply and provide me with some advice and answer the question in the title with maybe a little detail.

Thank you,
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
Original post by German123
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it

Top universities will automatically reject people who do not meet the computer algorithm for the right standard of GCSE grades. The computers will be set to automatically reject anyone with lower than a B grade at GCSE English at the universities which ask for a B grade; a real person won't look at these applications. They can afford to be as picky as they like.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest