The Student Room Group

My new teacher for A2 seems to think I'm stupid!

I've got a new teacher for A2 Physics after my AS teacher left. He seems alright except I got the feeling he thinks I'm really stupid or something! Every 10 mins he kept saying 'Do you understand?' or 'Are you keeping up?'.

I got an A at AS and he knows that.. and the other people in my class got.. two of us got As, one B, one C and one E - and he wasn't asking any of the others.

It just got soooo annoying by the end of the lesson!

MissSurfer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why do you care what your teacher thinks? It's more likely he's talking to the class than just you...
:dito: Go and get a good grade for A2, and then it won't matter.

Checking you understand is part of his job.
Reply 3

I think the teacher is asking you just to make sure you understand what the hell he is teaching you. God knows, he has a PhD in Physics, he is teaching/making sure you understand what he is talking about.
My Politics teacher used to treat me like I was thick, so I just played up to it and acted really stupid around her and told her I couldn't read once. But her face was priceless when I got an A at AS haha.
Reply 5
Well no, he wasn't talking to the whole class because he was using my name.

I'm not really bothered what he thinks it's just getting annoying!

Oh well.. I guess he'll soon find out more what I'm like in the next few lessons (I'm not saying I'm that clever.. just not stupid!).
Reply 6
So what if you're stupid? He's probably just looking for some witty banter, which you aren't providing...
Reply 7
He probably doesn't think you're stupid. He knows you're top of the class and it looks good on him if at the end of A2 you get an overall A, think of it as him nurturing your talents. He obviously believes that you are going to do best in the class and so he doesn't want to let you down. Plus it looks bad on him, if with the last teacher you managed to get an A, and because of his teaching you get a lesser grade. :biggrin:
Reply 8
just don't listen to what he thinks of you.
Reply 9
I had a pants teacher for French at A2 and if you start giving a damn about what he thinks then it can really knock you back so just keep working at your own level and if he asks if you're keeping up just think of something clever to respond with.. I was gonna give an example but my mind seems to be blank :|
That does sound very annoying, especially as you're either top or second in the class! I don't think there's much you can do about it though except try not to let it bothers you. At the end of the day, your A at AS shows how good you are at the subject, not what he thinks.
Reply 11
You were probably just sitting by the front?
Reply 12
It could be that he knows you're intelligent and is trying to wind you up a bit. Maybe he thinks you'll give him a witty reply.
It's hard being a new teacher.. and you can't really patronise a slower student the same you can an intelligent one, because the slower one is likely to burst into tears.
Reply 13
Mr_Deeds
He probably doesn't think you're stupid. He knows you're top of the class and it looks good on him if at the end of A2 you get an overall A, think of it as him nurturing your talents. He obviously believes that you are going to do best in the class and so he doesn't want to let you down. Plus it looks bad on him, if with the last teacher you managed to get an A, and because of his teaching you get a lesser grade. :biggrin:

This is probably the best explanation.. thanks!
Reply 14
When i moved to college for A2 i had the same thing... in the nd I actually just told the teacher in question that i was keeping up fine and she could see that when we gave in the first essay homework... i also pointed out my UMS marks to her and she never asked if i was understanding again lol.
Bloody hell I don't like teachers who act like that... my A2 Economics and Business teachers did that to me. I'm not bothered about what the teachers think, but what other students think, since it's a big class, feels embarrassing. They always pick on me when asking questions. One instance we were watching a video relevant to our topic - globalisation. After we watched the video the teacher asked me what it was about, and was saying it starts with a letter 'G', I mean wtf, that is just screwed up.

The thing is I'm like you, got A at AS, then it started changing at A2, even though 1 out of 2 teachers was new.

M-M
I'm sorry to hear about that MissSurfer :frown: that must suck! I guess that as he's new he's probably just trying to make sure he's not running away with himself. Maybe he's using you as a 'measuring stick' as you got an A, so that you can give him feedback on whether he's going at an acceptable pace or not or something like that. Hopefully he'll get the message though after a couple of weeks, that you really don't need him to keep asking.

Mustard-man OMG that sucks as well....beginning with 'G' hah! Maybe be was trying to be witty or something?! Teachers can be very odd...
Do any of you have an internal complaints system at college where you can lodge an anonymous complaint if it starts to really bother you? That might help
Reply 18
I like it when teachers do that; I dont like asking questions infront of the class when its something simple and I cant get my head around it.

Its his first day teaching you, weither or not you got an A doesnt matter, I know people who have gotten As at AS and Es at A2s. He wants to make sure you are taking in everything he is saying, it doesnt mean he thinks you are stupid or thick, infact its probably the opposite if he is paying a bit more attention to you.

In my film studies class, there was only 5 of us and my teacher for A2 knew I was graspings things well and really understood what he was talking about, probably more so than the rest of the class, but he would always ask me if I understood; I took it as if he wants to make sure since I'm the one that is interested in the subject. I asked him once and he said basically what I've told you.
Bit of over reaction here methinks :s-smilie:

You say youve just started A2 and he is a new teacher. He doesn't know you and your abilities as well as your old teacher, so I would guess he is assessing you as well as the class as to your abilities...better than having a teacher who doesn't give a **** eh. He could also feel it is complex work your doing and he wants to make perfectly clear that you understand before building up more detailed explanations or theories on that initial understanding.

Latest

Trending

Trending