The Student Room Group

Urgent need: lengthy poems

I urgently need suggestions for poems which i could transform into a short story for my coursework as i have to have a fully formed idea by next week. If you know of any, preferably with a specific storyline i would be very grateful, also it would be preferred if the poem was from an earlier era but right now i can't afford to be fussy. Thanks in advance for any poems you suggest.
Reply 1
Charge of the Light Brigade by Tennyson.
Reply 2
The Lady of Shalott, also by Tennyson.
You could also try The Prelude by Wordsworth.

I can't think of any others right now, but if I do I'll add them.

Don't worry, there's loads out there! Just get hold of a good poetry book and you'll see a dozen.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Ywiss
You could also try The Prelude by Wordsworth.

An ambitious choice :smile:

Rime of the Ancient Mariner would make a good short story, but as said, there are lots of possibilities. Enjoy.
Reply 4
Maud by Tennyson, Paradise Lost by Milton (which I did for my text transformation coursework and got full marks! Let me know if you want to know anything). I will try to think of some others. What sort of short story did you want to write?
Reply 5
wilbur
An ambitious choice :smile:

Haha, yes, I suppose :biggrin:
The lion and albert by mariott edgar.

Very simple but a great storyline. Depends on what age range you were writing the story for, although it could be great for kids, or written in a humorous way for adults.
Reply 7
rape of the lock?

it can't be too old though, as due to the tradition of aurality, the majority of early poems are stories anyway.
Reply 8
What about poems by Alexander Pope, such as Epistle to a Lady?
Reply 9
Dante's The Inferno
Anne Carson's Autobiography of Red (although it is a "novel in verse")

I would strongly advise against using The Prelude as it is very dense and difficult to work with, but if you're up to the challenge, it is definately something that will make you think.
There's always Chaucer...
Agh! spare me Chaucer :biggrin:
Reply 12
Thanks for all of the suggestions, i will check them out now.
Reply 13
Aaargh still lost, getting beyond desperate now. Please help!!
What kind of help do you want? What is the trouble?
Reply 15
i think the coleridge mentioned is good- ancient mariner is a good poem.
Reply 16
The Waste Land...good luck with that...
Reply 17
My Last Duchess....Robert Browning
my last duchess isn't that long, although there is a lot you could do with it (but you might not have enough to say in the commentary)
Reply 19
Definately Rime of the Aincient Mariner. A good story, not too long, plenty of scope for your own spin on it, it has loads going for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending