The Student Room Group

IT Tech Support - Getting My Foot In The Door?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by thegalacticone
Ok I'll go ahead and apply for some HNDs as well as apply for the IT Access course.

Sent from my HTC One

I did an Access course - Computing diploma at 24 and because I didn't have any higher qualifications than GCSE's and I was 24 and younger when I enrolled the course fee was waived, all I had to do was pay "admin" fee's for enrolling. That was last year and I turned 25 during course and it didn't affect the fee being paid for as it goes by your age when you enrol, although I knew I was going into further education(Uni) anyway I had saved up for the course cost which was a nice surprise.
Original post by thegalacticone
Hi guys, I am in a pretty bad position to say the least but would absolutely love some advice since I have no one else to turn. My current position is this:

I am 24 years old.
Left school with no GCSE's (I can't remember exactly but I got a bunch of D, E and F grades)
Left College In 2009 with a Pass in BTEC IT Practitioners Level 2 and a Double Distinction in Music Technology Level 3
Worked In Retail from 2008 up to 2011
Worked part time throughout 2011-2013 for a small company fixing PC's and maintaining a small network (7 PC's) for a charity
Have been unemployed for a year and dealing with the loss of a family member

I would love to work in IT Tech Support but have no idea how I should go about it. I have looked into doing a Level 2 and then a Level 3 apprenticeship but all the Level 2 apprenticeships I have seen here (http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/) require you to have 5 GCSE's A-C

Option 2 is to go college for 2 years and do a Level 3 course and then possibly head into a Level 3 Apprenticeship or into University but for starters I can't afford the course and this option means I'd be out of University at the age of 29. It also means I'd be penniless for the next 5 years give or take

Option 3 is to possibly resit Maths and English GCSE over the year whilst doing a job in retail and then start on my Apprenticeship push? I should have done Option 2 all those years back in 2009 but I was absolutely foolish, a mistake that I have lived with since. Any help or tips as to what I should do would be most welcome.

I would say go for Option 2 but here the catch, instead of going college for 2 years. You can do it in 1 year, yes, I mean 1 year. Through Access to Higher education which is fast track level 3 qualification design for mature students who are 19 plus. Who haven't been in education for awhile and is known to being rigorous at times. Many universities expect it and yeah it means you be out of pocket at times and will end up finishing when you are in your late 20's however doing a degree is an investment. If you study a highly technical degree like Computer science or Computing and gain a placement or do internships and get a good grade (2.1+) then it will be worth the wait and time and effort. It will help you develop your career opportunities.
Original post by Vibenation
I would say go for Option 2 but here the catch, instead of going college for 2 years. You can do it in 1 year, yes, I mean 1 year. Through Access to Higher education which is fast track level 3 qualification design for mature students who are 19 plus. Who haven't been in education for awhile and is known to being rigorous at times. Many universities expect it and yeah it means you be out of pocket at times and will end up finishing when you are in your late 20's however doing a degree is an investment. If you study a highly technical degree like Computer science or Computing and gain a placement or do internships and get a good grade (2.1+) then it will be worth the wait and time and effort. It will help you develop your career opportunities.

Yeah I have applied for Access to HE in IT which starts in two weeks if I am accepted (interviews don't begin until 3rd/4th September. I have also applied to a bunch of Level 3 apprenticeships, many of which give training in Comptia and Microsoft certifications

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending