The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language Advice URGENT!!!

So I got my results and I have been worried about my English language. For many university's in UK, it states you need a minimum of C in English language at GCSE. My overall grade for English Language was an (D), however I got a (C) in the actual Language Exam (Eng/Eng Language Unit 1 Tier F). So does the overall grade of (D) effect me getting into Unis, or will they simply look at the (C)?:confused::confused::confused:
Original post by Deeboss
So I got my results and I have been worried about my English language. For many university's in UK, it states you need a minimum of C in English language at GCSE. My overall grade for English Language was an (D), however I got a (C) in the actual Language Exam (Eng/Eng Language Unit 1 Tier F). So does the overall grade of (D) effect me getting into Unis, or will they simply look at the (C)?:confused::confused::confused:

They'll look at your overall grade, as your GCSE certificate will only state the grade you got overall - not the marks you received in each module.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deeboss

Yes- unfortunately almost all university's require a C or above in both English and Maths. Your GCSE certificate that the university's will see will only show your overall grade, not your individual exam grade. Your individual grade has shown your capable of meeting the requirement but unfortunately your overall D grade won't look too appealing if you are looking about applying to a good university. I think the whole coursework situation is extremely unfair and it has brought so many peoples grades down (like you). My suggestion is that you retake in November so you can secure a C grade or higher. In June 2013 I came out with a D however I retook in November and came out with a high B- just work hard for it and you'll get what you want. If that doesn't work out there is always next june for a retake! Hope I helped and good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kingaaran
They'll look at your overall grade, as your GCSE certificate will only state the grade you got overall - not the marks you received in each module.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So like if I wanted to resit is there a way I can resit the English Language Coursework, because that was what bought my overall English Language down to a (D). Regardless however my actual paper was a (C) and its not in my best interests to resit that paper.:s-smilie:
Original post by Deeboss
So like if I wanted to resit is there a way I can resit the English Language Coursework, because that was what bought my overall English Language down to a (D). Regardless however my actual paper was a (C) and its not in my best interests to resit that paper.:s-smilie:

Your best option is to try and redo your English coursework and resit the exam in November, as that is what someone at my school is doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by alex_1998
Yes- unfortunately almost all university's require a C or above in both English and Maths. Your GCSE certificate that the university's will see will only show your overall grade, not your individual exam grade. Your individual grade has shown your capable of meeting the requirement but unfortunately your overall D grade won't look too appealing if you are looking about applying to a good university. I think the whole coursework situation is extremely unfair and it has brought so many peoples grades down (like you). My suggestion is that you retake in November so you can secure a C grade or higher. In June 2013 I came out with a D however I retook in November and came out with a high B- just work hard for it and you'll get what you want. If that doesn't work out there is always next june for a retake! Hope I helped and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest