The Student Room Group

Any Point applying post results?

Hoping to tap into the font of collective, experiential wisdom here.

My A level results I received this August were better than anticipated, matching -in quantity - those of all of my friends who received Oxbridge offers. I got A* maths A* physics A further maths and A Chemistry(3 ums off an A* in chemistry). I currently hold an offer from UCL for Physics which was AAA with a pass in further maths. However I was wandering if anybody here could tell me if it'd be worth applying to Cambridge natsci with these results. I've got 100 ums in both M1 and M2 edexcel maths which, to be honest, were both pretty easy units but they are physics related so I thought they may help give a picture of my abilities in this subject.
I'm aware that in order to do this, I would have to reject my UCL offer but I'm ok with that, and am purely interested in the likelihood of getting into Cambridge with these results.

Thanks, in advance, for your help
Reply 1
The question is: do you actually prefer the Cambridge course over the UCL one, or are you looking to reapply (a) to see whether you'd get in and/or (b) to have a shot at attending Cambridge purely for the prestige of it? If you actually prefer the course, maybe you could think about reapplying, but if it's just for the name or for the sake of curiosity/bragging rights, it's not worth the effort.
Definitely prefer the Cambridge course, I'd be lying if I said the prestige wasn't a contributing factor but the flexibility of the natsci course and its general higher standard of quality is much more attractive to me.
What are people's opinions on reapplying whilst having to resit a module or two? Can it be done? (Sorry to gatecrash)

@OP; How bad do you want it? If you aren't nuts about Cambridge, and are content with what you have then you might want to think about whether it's worth the hassle. However, if it's something you really want to do and is in your interests, then I'd say go for it. Work hard and make sure you do as good as you can at interviews.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by LowBathWater
Hoping to tap into the font of collective, experiential wisdom here.

My A level results I received this August were better than anticipated, matching -in quantity - those of all of my friends who received Oxbridge offers. I got A* maths A* physics A further maths and A Chemistry(3 ums off an A* in chemistry). I currently hold an offer from UCL for Physics which was AAA with a pass in further maths. However I was wandering if anybody here could tell me if it'd be worth applying to Cambridge natsci with these results. I've got 100 ums in both M1 and M2 edexcel maths which, to be honest, were both pretty easy units but they are physics related so I thought they may help give a picture of my abilities in this subject.
I'm aware that in order to do this, I would have to reject my UCL offer but I'm ok with that, and am purely interested in the likelihood of getting into Cambridge with these results.

Thanks, in advance, for your help

They are very good results but they are below the average for a NatSci entrant who usually scores 3A*+. Generally they advise that you need 3A* to be a competitive post-Q applicant for NatSci. It's not impossible to get an offer but you should be aware it is a high risk strategy. Whilst Cambridge has a high reputation to be honest once you are in the job market a good degree from UCL, especially if you get a first, is highly regarded. I don't personally think it is worth the risk.
Reply 5
Original post by TheFuture001
What are people's opinions on reapplying whilst having to resit a module or two? Can it be done? (Sorry to gatecrash)

@OP; How bad do you want it? If you aren't nuts about Cambridge, and are content with what you have then you might want to think about whether it's worth the hassle. However, if it's something you really want to do and is in your interests, then I'd say go for it. Work hard and make sure you do as good as you can at interviews.

See below. If you are applying for Arts post-Q you need 2A*+ to be competitive, for sciences & Economics 3A*+. When they rank you across the field they don't include retakes so they will look at your first results. They do note obvious rogues & outliers but you shouldn't assume that reaching a performance of A*AA on a second attempt is always regarded the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending