The Student Room Group

I wear the Jilbaab and still get ogled at..

Scroll to see replies

maybe don't focus on it? ignore them, why stay at home more often just because a few pervy men are giving you the look? i also think people don't realise, no matter what you wear.. creepy-ish guys will stare regardless. normal guys may take a glance or two but nothing obvious.
Original post by Anonymous
Anon please
So I get ogled at by many muslim men, they flirtatiously look at me like I`m some piece of meat :mad: Some of them have even stalked me, this one guy tried to squeeze my knee while I was sitting on the bus :confused: I feel like what I`m wearing is not enough, so I try to stay at home as much as possible.. Like.. what is there to see, I`m not showing any flesh or anything and I just look very average..
One glance is fine...
but ogling, tongue hanging out, falling out of the car to get a better look is just ridiculous!!!
For those of you that don`t know a "jilbaab" is an overhead abaya, which basically covers everything from head to toe. It`s a one piece garment...

Just a rant, not exactly asking any questions :s-smilie:

Perhaps you should move out of Rotherham
Original post by Mick.w
I wear the ogle and still get jilbaabed at

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL

0p you iz a tr0ll. Get a lyfe
What's a Jill Bob?
Original post by Secretnerd123
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL

0p you iz a tr0ll. Get a lyfe

Hi, can you tell me what a JillBob is :frown:
Original post by Blackshadow
Hi, can you tell me what a JillBob is :frown:

Its a cloak that was designed by a man named Bob and his wife named Jill. Its very popular ya know
Its a cloak that was designed by a man named Bob and his wife named Jill. Its very popular ya know

Kinky.
Original post by Blackshadow
Kinky.

Kinky? I was thinking more harry potter invisible cloak-esque

Anwho i shouldnt be making fun of the jilbaab. Its amazing and i may start wearing one in the future :smile:
Kinky? I was thinking more harry potter invisible cloak-esque

Anwho i shouldnt be making fun of the jilbaab. Its amazing and i may start wearing one in the future :smile:

Me too :smile: Love jill bobs :smile:
Whether you get ogled/touched is nothing to do with what you're wearing. Sexual harassment in public areas is actually more common in conservative countries than in ones where women dress in little clothing. It's about the attitudes of the men and what they think that they can get away with. My advice would be not to wear the jilbab if you are only doing it to stop men from looking at you, as it is not worth the effort.

I hope you enjoy a high-fibre diet.
Original post by SophiaLDN
I bet you anon is actually a guy.. :troll2:

HAHAHA and you look like a man :rolleyes:remember me sophia the one you said should fail his test 8 times REMEMBER?:mad:
(edited 9 years ago)
You must be a real beauty then. Imagine what all them men would be doing if you didn't have the jilbab. Snatch you right of the streets and into the shady world of modelling.:eek:
Hhmn sounds a bit fishy if you ask me. No one who I know that wears the jilbab, myself included, puts up with this. Very weird indeed.
Go out with a mahram, that would be the best solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
quite near that area

1) Wear sunglassess
2) Move out ASAP. Southall is a cesspit :lol:
I`m really not exaggerating, it has all happened to me:frown:
You're going to say people are trying to poke you with their wangs through the cloth next :colonhash:

Maybe you should dress normally. Wearing it around people of such a different culture is going to draw attention, which I believe the garment was designed to avoid. It's kind of counter-intuitive. So I'd suggest going out wearing normal clothes, to see if anything different happens - if you're really getting the attention you're claiming you are, I'm sure God won't mind you seeing if there's a difference.
Original post by Mick.w
I wear the ogle and still get jilbaabed at

lol'd.
Gotta love them Jill Bobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread has been posted too many times. It's definitely a troll I've read something similar to this before.. 😑

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Anon please
So I get ogled at by many muslim men, they flirtatiously look at me like I`m some piece of meat :mad: Some of them have even stalked me, this one guy tried to squeeze my knee while I was sitting on the bus :confused: I feel like what I`m wearing is not enough, so I try to stay at home as much as possible.. Like.. what is there to see, I`m not showing any flesh or anything and I just look very average..
One glance is fine...
but ogling, tongue hanging out, falling out of the car to get a better look is just ridiculous!!!
For those of you that don`t know a "jilbaab" is an overhead abaya, which basically covers everything from head to toe. It`s a one piece garment...

Just a rant, not exactly asking any questions :s-smilie:

A lot of people here are going to think you're trolling/exaggerating. IGNORE them. This is just an uncommon situation to be in, but it DOES happen (I speak from experience).

I used to absolutely HATE being ogled at (and seemed to get it way too much and also more than other girls) so I used to take drastic measures. I started wearing Turkish kaftans, I went completely crazy and became paranoid. And then I realised none of it was completely eradicating the problem.

My conclusion was this:

(1) Men will still stare. Not as many as before since you're covering up but some still will. Covering up will reduce the number of men that will stare but won't stop it happening entirely.

(2) The thing that's confusing you right now is "why are Muslim men staring when I've covered up all my assets and there is no longer anything there for them to stare at?" For the real creeps and perverts, wearing a jilbaab will simply mark you out as 'Muslim meat' for a Muslim man to stare at. A jilbaab is still a very powerful tool to reduce the number of men that stare, so I admire you for wearing it and you shouldn't stop. But for some men, all it means is "I'm a Muslim woman". You're "one of them" so they start staring because you seem accessible.

I used to wear Hijaab (albeit incorrectly and not the way Islam tells you to) and what I found was that it didn't reduce the number of men that stared at me. All it did was change the type of men doing the staring. When I didn't wear it, I was getting wolf-whistles, smiles, even winks from mainly white British men. When I wore it, I was getting the same reaction but from Eastern Muslim men -- presumably because I was marking myself out as Muslim. Hijaab would have worked better for me if I hadn't been doing it for the wrong reasons -- I was doing it for fashion so the look was hot rather than modest (small coloured hijaabs, tight clothes). But it made me realise that there is a slight, unwanted side effect from trying to cover in Islamic dress that in no way overrides its usefulness but can be bothersome at times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending