The Student Room Group

2400 on the SAT, which study guides do I need?

I am making it my priority to get a 2400 on the SAT.

Currently averaging 760 on the Math sections without any prior SAT prep. Confident of getting this up - and going through the Gruber 2013 guide and past SAT papers.

CR average is 700, w/o prep atm.

Not tried any writing sections.

I want to take the exam in January, and would prefer to take it before the changes come into effect.

I know that only 0.025 as an average of test takers get a perfect score, but I need to be in the best possible position to enhance my chances.

May take the ACT in sept next year, as will have summer to prep over it.

So for anyone that got a perfect score or got close to it, which books should I get to try and get the 2400?

Need to order the books today, as I want to really get along with heavy prep.

And finally is from now till January enough time? I have been doing 4 hours at least for the last week, but this will drop due to A Levels, ECs etc.

I could allocate perhaps 2 hours a day, increasing as I get closer to the exam.

Thanks!
Reply 1
My advice right now is try a full length SAT test. Complete all sections. Then do the same with the ACT. You should be sure which one you want to continue with, as officially doing both is a waste of time.

2 hours per day is gratuitous. An SAT/ACT section plus marking and correcting per day is the absolute maximum you should be doing, or by the time you reach January you will want to stab somebody in the throat.

You may want to do the subject tests in October next year, so that you have AS knowledge plus summer prep to study for it.

Books, I liked the Barron's books for the subject tests and the testmaker's own books for the actual ACT/SAT prep.

Finally, your priority should not be getting a 2400/36. It should be making sure your actual grades are on point, as well as your ECs and essays/recommendations, as these are often weighted equally or heavier than test scores.
Reply 2
I recommend these books. Through a ton of research they seem like the best books. Bear in mind that I am currently using these books myself and have no proof of how efficient they are in helping one achieve a high score.

Writing Section: The Ultimate Guide to SAT Grammar - Erica L.Meltzer
Critical Reading Section: The Insider's Complete Guide to SAT Vocabulary: The Essential 500 Words - Lary Krieger
Maths Section: the Maths sections of the Grubers book and Dr Chung's SAT Math (the latter is great for people like you and I who are achieving 700+ on practice tests without any studying)

Then supplement your study with the College Board Blue Book as well as the Barrons SAT Guide.

Hope I helped! Happy studying :smile:
For the SAT, I recommend The Online SAT Course. They've got lots of practice questions, plus nine full-length tests with answer explanations.

For the ACT, definitely get the official "red" book. Barron's is good for Math & Science, and Princeton Review is good for English & Reading.
Original post by feyy

Finally, your priority should not be getting a 2400/36. It should be making sure your actual grades are on point, as well as your ECs and essays/recommendations, as these are often weighted equally or heavier than test scores.

This. Plenty of perfect scorers are rejected at the top unis. Once you break 700 in all sections, the top unis will look at your ECs to see how you stand out from other applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by feyy

Yes, this. If you get at least 700 in each section, it won't really matter what your overall score is. The other parts of your application are more important, in the end. So, don't knock yourself out trying to get 2400. Won't matter in the end.
Actually I took the SAT and broke 700 in all sections ok CR was 690... but there is definitely a difference between someone getting a 2200 and someone getting a 2400. Its worth improving. The difference between a 2370 and a 2400 is negligible but any difference over 100 points is definitely real.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending