The Student Room Group

Grade D student, possible to get A*s or As in GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Azula
memorising cgp guides really helped for science :smile:)

And the app for iPhone/iPod
Original post by amelimoo
Haha do you go to a grammar by any chance? I just went to an all girls comprehensive! I think they realised we all needed a bit more motivation to do the work and the only way they could give it to us was to try and make lessons interesting and a bit stupid at times! Our school definitely cares more about us than our grades. My RS teacher sat and spoke to me before playing basketball with me when I came to her and told her I had given up on trying in her subject because I never got anywhere so what was the point, definitely worked, after that 2 hour after school chat I felt much better about myself and had lots of tips for how to improve in her subject, if she had treated my like a statistic I would have just failed!!

Yup! Miracle that I even got accepted!! So lucky!! Maybe I should move xD It's no surprise that half of my school have anxiety issues when it comes to grades, exams and all:frown:
I have faith!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: thank you!
Reply 23
And the app for iPhone/iPod

yes i had the app on my old phone :jester: it was good HAHA
Original post by Azula
memorising cgp guides really helped for science :smile:)

I shall religiously memorise them!:elefant::elefant::elefant:
Reply 25
Original post by heatherhoohoo
I shall religiously memorise them!:elefant::elefant::elefant:

good call :smile:

what exam board are your sciences??
I'm in Year 11 currently (only just started on the 28th), and heck yes you can!! If you want to get those grades just put in the effort and trust me it is achievable! Oh and NEVER aim for less than full marks.

But yeah my mini inspirational story is that in Year 9 I was at about a D grade in Science, even with working hard- so in Year 10 I decided to do a heck load more work on it and did everything I needed to do for an A* grade- and I got a lot better surprisingly quickly; began getting As in tests then A*s, and when it came to the end of year actual GCSE Exam for U1, I got an A* in the coursework, full marks in my Chemistry Exam and A*s in Biology and Physics too

I did the same kinda thing in my other subjects and I'm at B+-A* grades in those (we oddly enough only had science exams in year 10 though)

So my point is ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IF YOU'RE DETERMINED ENOUGH :biggrin: Good luck :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yup! Miracle that I even got accepted!! So lucky!! Maybe I should move xD It's no surprise that half of my school have anxiety issues when it comes to grades, exams and all:frown:

Haha! I'm actually really happy that I never got into a grammar in the end! My year had some real issues, mainly because the majority of us had parents or siblings in the forces so it could get quite emotional when they went away for long periods of time, and then there were other people like me who just had the usual family issues and general low self-esteem and no confidence etc! Our school motto was 'head, heart and hands' and I've gotta say they did well to enforce it! I mean 'head' meant study and get good grades, 'heart' meant care about others and support eachother and 'hands' meant put plans into action and get involved in extra curriculars. Worked well, we might not have the highest grades but the majority of the school are lovely people by the time they leave. I was going to move to a grammar for 6th form got a place and everything but I turned it down because as cheesy as it is my school is like the supportive family I never had! You should so move :wink:
Original post by Azula
good call :smile:

what exam board are your sciences??

OCR for bio+chem and AQA for physics :redface:
Reply 29
OCR for bio+chem and AQA for physics :redface:

i did aqa for all my sciences hehe
Haha! I'm actually really happy that I never got into a grammar in the end! My year had some real issues, mainly because the majority of us had parents or siblings in the forces so it could get quite emotional when they went away for long periods of time, and then there were other people like me who just had the usual family issues and general low self-esteem and no confidence etc! Our school motto was 'head, heart and hands' and I've gotta say they did well to enforce it! I mean 'head' meant study and get good grades, 'heart' meant care about others and support eachother and 'hands' meant put plans into action and get involved in extra curriculars. Worked well, we might not have the highest grades but the majority of the school are lovely people by the time they leave. I was going to move to a grammar for 6th form got a place and everything but I turned it down because as cheesy as it is my school is like the supportive family I never had! You should so move :wink:

I SHOULD. I REALLY SHOULD! Ahhhh you are so lucky!!!
I SHOULD. I REALLY SHOULD! Ahhhh you are so lucky!!!

Haha I know right!! I don't want to leave!!!
Original post by FatimaHere
I'm in Year 11 currently (only just started on the 28th), and heck yes you can!! If you want to get those grades just put in the effort and trust me it is achievable! Oh and NEVER aim for less than full marks.

But yeah my mini inspirational story is that in Year 9 I was at about a D grade in Science, even with working hard- so in Year 10 I decided to do a heck load more work on it and did everything I needed to do for an A* grade- and I got a lot better surprisingly quickly; began getting As in tests then A*s, and when it came to the end of year actual GCSE Exam for U1, I got an A* in the coursework, full marks in my Chemistry Exam and A*s in Biology and Physics too

I did the same kinda thing in my other subjects and I'm at B+-A* grades in those (we oddly enough only had science exams in year 10 though)

So my point is ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IF YOU'RE DETERMINED ENOUGH :biggrin: Good luck :biggrin:

Why is everyone so goddamn clever?? xD Thanks though and I'll definitely try hard. Knuckle down and give it my all!
Why is everyone so goddamn clever?? xD Thanks though and I'll definitely try hard. Knuckle down and give it my all!

Haha xD No problameo, good to hear, you can do this!
Thank you!! I feel like I am able to do this :biggrin: I SHALL KNUCKLE DOWN AND CHAIN MYSELF TO MY DESK.

Yes! I'm in my last year too and I'm going to try and work my butt off :borat:
Reply 35

hey what did you do to get an A* in physics revision wise and how did you know what to do to get such a high grade? really stuck and need help :/ thanks :smile:
Original post by zunera:)
hey what did you do to get an A* in physics revision wise and how did you know what to do to get such a high grade? really stuck and need help :/ thanks :smile:

Hello there! So sorry about the terribly late reply, but I've been really busy lately so I haven't been able to go onto TSR. :'(

Here's how I got my A*:
Revision wise-
-Revise for every test, no matter how small- and revise properly so when exam time rolls around you don't need to revise as much.

-Get specifications to do so- your teachers will have these- they just tell you exactly what you need to know for each test, and I love then for that. (the specs) xD

-Ask for help WHENEVER you need it- don't delay, it'll only make things harder! And teachers are there to teach you, after all. xD

-Use the necessary revision guide- e.g I did Edexcel and used a Collins Revision Edexcel one for core and additional science.

-Complete practice Questions: can be found in a revision guide/ workbook or, I'm sure your teacher would be able to supply you with some.

When Exam time came around:
-Revise by completing past papers repetitively, and referring to the revision guide when needed.
But as soon as you can, complete the past papers in Exam conditions- time yourself and have all equipment ready.

-Create a table so you can record what papers you've done, how many times you've done them and what scores you got.

-Always mark a paper straight after you've done it before moving onto another otherwise you may make the same mistakes twice. D: And mark harshly- best to prepare for the worst (what if you get a really mean examiner?). Also, it'll mean that you know exactly where you need to improve and how you need to, too.

Hope this helped, good luck this year!
Reply 37
Hello there! So sorry about the terribly late reply, but I've been really busy lately so I haven't been able to go onto TSR. :'(

Here's how I got my A*:
Revision wise-
-Revise for every test, no matter how small- and revise properly so when exam time rolls around you don't need to revise as much.

-Get specifications to do so- your teachers will have these- they just tell you exactly what you need to know for each test, and I love then for that. (the specs) xD

-Ask for help WHENEVER you need it- don't delay, it'll only make things harder! And teachers are there to teach you, after all. xD

-Use the necessary revision guide- e.g I did Edexcel and used a Collins Revision Edexcel one for core and additional science.

-Complete practice Questions: can be found in a revision guide/ workbook or, I'm sure your teacher would be able to supply you with some.

When Exam time came around:
-Revise by completing past papers repetitively, and referring to the revision guide when needed.
But as soon as you can, complete the past papers in Exam conditions- time yourself and have all equipment ready.

-Create a table so you can record what papers you've done, how many times you've done them and what scores you got.

-Always mark a paper straight after you've done it before moving onto another otherwise you may make the same mistakes twice. D: And mark harshly- best to prepare for the worst (what if you get a really mean examiner?). Also, it'll mean that you know exactly where you need to improve and how you need to, too.

Hope this helped, good luck this year!

this helped immensely! thankyou so much :biggrin: and goodluck to you too!:smile::biggrin::redface:
Original post by zunera:)
this helped immensely! thankyou so much :biggrin: and goodluck to you too!:smile::biggrin::redface:

Aww, I'm so glad I helped!! :smile: Thank youu! :biggrin: ^^
I went from a C/D student in year 10 to an A grade student in year 11 so it's definitely possible! Just put the work in and test yourself regularly, ask about anything you don't understand ASAP, look at markschemes and do all the past papers you can find! Good luck!

So you did past papers continuously, and did you do anything else that helped you achieve a D to an A Grade?

Quick Reply

Latest