The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2015/16 Postgraduate Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by clh_hilary
St John's wanted to get rid of it altogether.

What do you mean?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Josb
What do you mean?

They didn't want to charge for accommodation but they were stopped.
Reply 382
Original post by clh_hilary
They didn't want to charge for accommodation but they were stopped.

You mean other colleges forced them to charge housing?:eek:
Original post by Josb
You mean other colleges forced them to charge housing?:eek:

I'm not sure if it's other colleges or the university. But it's either or both.
what to do if my referees didn't receive any email?
Original post by gallivanter
what to do if my referees didn't receive any email?

If you log into your account there should be a button to resend the email. You don't have long...
Original post by punctuation
If you log into your account there should be a button to resend the email. You don't have long...

thanks. my deadline is 23rd.
THERE WAS A TYPO IN MY STATEMENT. kill me.
Original post by blue1211823
THERE WAS A TYPO IN MY STATEMENT. kill me.

I'm sure they won't notice! :tongue: And if so, not a huge deal. Was it obvious?
I wouldn't be too bothered, as long as you didn't apply for an MSt in English.
Original post by EuropeanSon20
I wouldn't be too bothered, as long as you didn't apply for an MSt in English.

Is your deadline today? If not, call the graduate office and ask if they can upload the amended version manually :smile:

i cannot find any button. :s
Original post by gallivanter
i cannot find any button. :s

Oh. Sorry I might have confused this with another application form or the old one..

I would call them asap to ask, also send an email.
Original post by EuropeanSon20
No it is not. I was told by the admissions staff, and it's sort of an unofficial date that they don't tell anyone (unless they're panicking on the other end of the phone)

At least in the philosophy faculty, they're officially allowed not to consider the application if the references didn't all arrive by 12pm.

This is according to the graduate philosophy admissions person I spoke to on the phone half an hour ago. (She also said they usually do consider late applications in practice - they just have to be of sufficient quality.)

(On the other hand she also urged me to find another referee in the next fifteen minutes. God knows really.)
Perhaps it depends on the department/faculty, but it didn't sound like that with the person I was talking to. It sounded University-wide.

How on earth can you find another referee in 15 minutes? :s-smilie:
One of my referees had an issue with uploading his reference at the last minute for one of three applications - I called admissions and she was kind enough to copy the one that did upload correctly to the outstanding one. They're very relaxed and helpful! She said it's really not an issue because if references are submitted very very soon they can still be attached before grad admissions goes through all of the applications and determines whether they are complete or not and sends them to the departments for assessment. SO MUCH RELIEF AT SUBMITTING. sheesh.
Original post by Maestosa
At least in the philosophy faculty, they're officially allowed not to consider the application if the references didn't all arrive by 12pm.

This is according to the graduate philosophy admissions person I spoke to on the phone half an hour ago. (She also said they usually do consider late applications in practice - they just have to be of sufficient quality.)

(On the other hand she also urged me to find another referee in the next fifteen minutes. God knows really.)

Oh dear. Good luck. Are you applying to Bristol too (from your sig)? Which one? I used to do psychology and philosophy as a first year undergrad, the philosophy dept is really good :smile:

EDIT: Also don't worry about not having done 100% philosophy, I'm sure you'll be fine. I've seen philosophy postgrads without any philosophy background, so there's that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh dear. Good luck. Are you applying to Bristol too (from your sig)? Which one? I used to do psychology and philosophy as a first year undergrad, the philosophy dept is really good :smile:

Good to hear. One of my referees was a lecturer there, so I'm hoping that will help. I want to apply for the MA in philosophy.

EDIT: Also don't worry about not having done 100% philosophy, I'm sure you'll be fine. I've seen philosophy postgrads without any philosophy background, so there's that.

Yes, it varies by university, from those that will accept you without a philosophy degree if you are just 'interested', to those that specify the number of hours you need to have spent formally studying it. Oxford seems to be somewhere in the middle.
I've been expressly told by a couple admissions people NOT to leave it blank, but perhaps more for reasons of getting into a not-bad one. If you leave it blank they might just chuck you in one no one else wants. As for funding, I'm not sure if it helps or not.. I think it doesn't to the extent that you're better off targeting an unpopular college that has funding than not specifying anything. They will probably reallocate you to a different college anyway.

apologies if unintelligible.. I've had one hour of sleep

Hi there! I'm very new to all this... I'm applying for the MSc in Environmental Governance and I am unsure about college preference... To be honest I think I would be chuffed to get into any college, they all look pretty amazing!
I think my application is okay academic wise, and as others have said, I'll need funding through scholarships which is one reason I thought leaving it open was a good idea... Any advice gratefully received! :smile: x
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maestosa
Good to hear. One of my referees was a lecturer there, so I'm hoping that will help. I want to apply for the MA in philosophy.

Yes, it varies by university, from those that will accept you without a philosophy degree if you are just 'interested', to those that specify the number of hours you need to have spent formally studying it. Oxford seems to be somewhere in the middle.

Oh nice, good luck :smile:

Original post by jennyferdods
Hi there! I'm very new to all this... I have applied for the MSc in Nature Society and Environmental Governance... and I left my college preference blank... and now I'm panicking!! To be honest in my naivety I think thought I would be chuffed to get into any college, they all look pretty amazing! Have I made a big mistake!?
I think my application is okay academic wise... first class undergrad, gunning for a distinction in my current political research masters,work experience in research and getting an undergrad essay published in the coming year etc etc, but now I'm worried I'll end up in this pool!
As others have said, I'll need funding through scholarships which is another reason I thought leaving it open was a good idea... Is it worth trying to amend the form??
Any advice gratefully received! :smile: x

No, no. Don't worry about it, it was just an offhand comment, no big deal. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending