Reply 580
Original post by Slowbro93
And how long were you on the course?

Only in the first year.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Josb
Another question would be: is it easier to get teaching opportunities in a college with undergrads?

I don't think so.
Original post by Josb
Only in the first year.

Then I think you can avoid mentioning it, have you submitted your app already?
Reply 583
Original post by Slowbro93
X

Thx, not yet!
Reply 584
Original post by clh_hilary
I don't think so.

Don't you have more chance to tutor undergrads if there are some in your college?
Original post by admissionshost
You'll need an advisor at the college applied for who can't be your supervisor. My advice would be to ask a supervisor if he or she thinks a match is available. However, as stated earlier, not everyone wishes to be at the same college as a supervisor.

I don't know how it works in other colleges, but at Kellogg, they just assign you one weeks after Michaelmas started, and they don't guarantee anyone from your field (also mine turns to out to from the same department).

I don't know what you're looking for in a 'good match', but if you're talking about being in the same field, I don't think that matters much at all.
Original post by Josb
Don't you have more chance to tutor undergrads if there are some in your college?

I think it's irrelevant since you'd get them from your department, not your college, I believe. And you can very well have tutorials with them in your or their college anyway.
Original post by llacerta
Whilst I'm rarely keen to include Durham's college system in comparisons like this (call me a snob, haha :biggrin: ), I am very impressed by Cambridge's website! This is exactly what Oxford needs. Fingers crossed they do actually make a webpage like this sometime in the (near) future!

Well, Durham really controls their colleges nowadays so really no comparisons.
Original post by Josb
Do references have to upload the referee form with the recommendation letter?
www.graduate.ox.ac.uk/refereeform
:confused:

I've never seen this.
Reply 589
I think it's irrelevant since you'd get them from your department, not your college, I believe. And you can very well have tutorials with them in your or their college anyway.

Ok then.

Well, Durham really controls their colleges nowadays so really no comparisons.

In the application, you still have to state a college preference, and as colleges are in charge of accommodation, it's very useful to know the situation for each of them. This is why a summary page for accommodation is so important.
Otherwise, there is no teaching or research of any kind in the colleges, so yes, it has nothing to do with Oxbridge.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Josb
In the application, you still have to state a college preference, and as colleges are in charge of accommodation, it's very useful to know the situation for each of them. This is why a summary page for accommodation is so important.
Otherwise, there is not teaching or research of any kind in the colleges, so yes, it has nothing to do with Oxbridge.

Administration-wise it's a lot more difficult for Oxbridge to do anything because they will need to collect (not up-to-date) information individually from each college.
Reply 591
Administration-wise it's a lot more difficult for Oxbridge to do anything because they will need to collect (not up-to-date) information individually from each college.

Yes, they will start from scratch in the first year. And as llacerta said, some colleges will probably be reluctant to give all the information.
Original post by Josb
I didn't bother to apply because I have no intention of coming back to my country, so I won't "act as an ambassador there". :rolleyes:
The questions asked look very "American"; they love to say how much they are great and going to save the world in their applications. Apparently most of the recipients are precisely from the USA, they are gifted for that BS.

If you look at Rhodes scholars' profiles, you'll spot a similar pattern.

I mean, loads of them have done impressive things, yet it is, at least at times, portrayed in a different light, so it sounds a bit overboasting to my Central European ear. However, if I was willing to play this game and could write about my achievements in the same way, only God knows where I would be now.
Reply 593
Hello all,

I hope I'm posting in the right place... first time.
I applied for PhD in epidemiology. I was wondering - does anyone know how best to prep for an interview (in hope I'll be invited to one)?
Also, I was wondering regarding how long of a notice I should expect to recieve. I understood interviews will be held in a very short while and was wondering - could I get just a few day's heads up?
Reply 594
Original post by Ivanka
If you look at Rhodes scholars' profiles, you'll spot a similar pattern.

I mean, loads of them have done impressive things, yet it is, at least at times, portrayed in a different light, so it sounds a bit overboasting to my Central European ear. However, if I was willing to play this game and could write about my achievements in the same way, only God knows where I would be now.

Americans also have loads of opportunities as soon as they go to high school, with all the college societies thing. The civil society is amazingly active, with plenty of charities offering a immense range of volunteer positions. They even have funding for gap years. It's relatively easy to build a CV from nothing in the USA.
I didn't have any of that in France.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Americans also have loads of opportunities as soon as they go to high school, with all the college societies thing. The civil society is amazingly active, with plenty of charities offering a immense range of volunteer positions. They even have funding for gap years. It's relatively easy to build a CV from nothing in the USA.
I didn't have any of that in France.

No college societies.....?
Original post by ncosta
Hello all,

I hope I'm posting in the right place... first time.
I applied for PhD in epidemiology. I was wondering - does anyone know how best to prep for an interview (in hope I'll be invited to one)?
Also, I was wondering regarding how long of a notice I should expect to recieve. I understood interviews will be held in a very short while and was wondering - could I get just a few day's heads up?

I got an email eight days before my interview saying I would have one, and only five days before the interview saying when it was going to be. Hopefully that's not always the case but just sharing my experience!

For preparing for the interview... make sure you have a good knowledge of your subject and you're able to talk about it if they ask. Make sure you're prepared to answer questions about your research proposal (if you wrote one), as well as your past research experiences. And also think about answers to standard questions like "why do you want to do a PhD?". Good luck!
Reply 597
Original post by punctuation
No college societies.....?

Nope, it was pretty dead.:frown:
Hey, just got rejected from MSc Migration Studies last night. I am a Warwick PPEist sitting on 69% if anyone is interested but competition for places is tough.
Original post by Deep456
Hey, just got rejected from MSc Migration Studies last night. I am a Warwick PPEist sitting on 69% if anyone is interested but competition for places is tough.

Sorry to hear that :frown: Did they say why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending