The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2015/16 Postgraduate Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hello! Every one! I submitted my application for MSc in Psychological Research, and on 19th Jan. I got an email saying that my application was complete. Anyone also applied for this course?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by EuropeanSon20
Did not get short-listed for the WT Doctorate in Neuroscience, as expected. The program I wish to get onto is the MSc, and they're sorting out the shortlist for that soon.

How did you get on, punctuation? :smile:

Hi! do you know when will the shortlist result come out?
Original post by Qihao Huang
Hello! Every one! I submitted my application for MSc in Psychological Research, and on 19th Jan. I got an email saying that my application was complete. Anyone also applied for this course?

Good luck! For the four-year DTP in neuro it said you should hear back three weeks after the deadline. So maybe that?
One more question on the written work samples. If our essays are shorter than the required length are we expected to make them longer?
Original post by aplazzarin
One more question on the written work samples. If our essays are shorter than the required length are we expected to make them longer?

I doubt it, but I personally would think about whether there was any way in which your work could be improved! Is there anything you could add that would strengthen your arguments, or any places where you could go into more depth?
Original post by Jamstar
I doubt it, but I personally would think about whether there was any way in which your work could be improved! Is there anything you could add that would strengthen your arguments, or any places where you could go into more depth?

Yes I'll try to do that, after all it's not a great essay. It's just that I wrote it a year ago and I need to get back into it, which given the little time left it's not great.

I just wanted to know if it would be ok if it was shorter in any case.
Original post by chimichurri
Hi guys,

I'm applying for MMathPhys and I'm working on my PS. Now, I was under the impression that the tutorials system was the same for postgrad students as it is for undergrad but now I've read in a couple of places that that's not necessarily true. Really, this particular type of teaching is one of the main reasons I'm applying to Oxford. Problem is also that that point is sort of the final kicker in my PS saying why it's Oxford and not the University of Silly Walks...
You guys must know?

at least for the Maths dept I heard they do classes instead of tutorials, it's kind of the same system except classes are meant for all students across the uni, so the size of the class is rather big whereas tutorials are done per college and so smaller size.
Hi, guys, I have a question. I got an email from admissions saying my transcript is missing. I am perfectly sure I attached it and I can see it in my online app. Do you think they could have refused it for some reason? I did a translation verified by public notary, but not by my uni. And it does not have a stamp on each page, only at the end of it
Should I ask my department to stamp each page of the translated document before re-sending it? Only two days before the deadline, it makes me nervous.
Original post by YulianaRus
Hi, guys, I have a question. I got an email from admissions saying my transcript is missing. I am perfectly sure I attached it and I can see it in my online app. Do you think they could have refused it for some reason? I did a translation verified by public notary, but not by my uni. And it does not have a stamp on each page, only at the end of it
Should I ask my department to stamp each page of the translated document before re-sending it? Only two days before the deadline, it makes me nervous.

Hi you also need to upload the original transcript as well as the translated one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LadyMede
Hi you also need to upload the original transcript as well as the translated one.

Yeah, I know that, I did send them both. There is just nothing I can do about the original transcript, apparently. And it does have all the signatures and stamps. So my guess is that they probably did not like the translation
Reply 790
Yeah, I know that, I did send them both. There is just nothing I can do about the original transcript, apparently. And it does have all the signatures and stamps. So my guess is that they probably did not like the translation

My transcripts have a stamp on each page. Can you have another one?
Original post by Josb
My transcripts have a stamp on each page. Can you have another one?

Will try tmr to go to my Department and ask them to stamp the translation
Original post by chimichurri
Hi guys,

I'm applying for MMathPhys and I'm working on my PS. Now, I was under the impression that the tutorials system was the same for postgrad students as it is for undergrad but now I've read in a couple of places that that's not necessarily true. Really, this particular type of teaching is one of the main reasons I'm applying to Oxford. Problem is also that that point is sort of the final kicker in my PS saying why it's Oxford and not the University of Silly Walks...
You guys must know?

The tutorial system is not the same.

With undergraduates, your tutor is likely to be someone in your college, who meets you every week, with you handing them one essay.

For postgraduates, it's a lot more flexible. You don't necessarily have someone in your college as your supervisor, you're entitled to at least 10 hours of tutorials for the entire year, depends on your course, you may be able to send them one or two formative pieces but you're only really doing your dissertation with them.
Received an email today requesting an interview for the NDM Prize Studentship on the 29th.. Terrified! Have to prep a 5 min presentation on research/career to date and then field questions for 15min.. Anyone else applied for Dphil Clin Med?

Hopefully still early days to hear back from DPhil Oncology and Infection, Immunology Translational med

I think making a direct call to the admissions will be helpful.
Original post by punctuation
I've got an interview next Friday, nervous! Hope you get on well with the msc shortlist, sorry to hear you didn't get shortlisted. :/

Congratulations :smile:

I hope you get in.

And don't be sorry, I applied to the Doctorate instead of the MSc by accident, but didn't change it because I knew I would be automatically considered for the MSc anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Qihao Huang
Hi! do you know when will the shortlist result come out?

They are carrying it out on the 29th. I should expect an email very shortly after that date.
I applied to MSc Biodiversity Conservation and Management by the last week of November 2014 and I received an email saying "unable to make you an offer of a place at this stage. We will however re-evaluate your application against other candidates who apply through the next available application deadline on 23rd January 2015."

What should I do? Do people get accepted after being re-evaluated?

I've received an offer for MSc Environment and Development from London School of Economics, King's College London, University of Edinburgh, Bristol, Sheffield, Leeds.

I am an international applicant.

Any suggestions?
Original post by itsAbhijeet
I applied to MSc Biodiversity Conservation and Management by the last week of November 2014 and I received an email saying "unable to make you an offer of a place at this stage. We will however re-evaluate your application against other candidates who apply through the next available application deadline on 23rd January 2015."

What should I do? Do people get accepted after being re-evaluated?

I've received an offer for MSc Environment and Development from London School of Economics, King's College London, University of Edinburgh, Bristol, Sheffield, Leeds.

I am an international applicant.

Any suggestions?

Guess you should just wait it out, and prepare for the best/worst! At the very least, it shows that you weren't so terrible that they threw you out immediately. Good luck!
Original post by iceflyier
Guess you should just wait it out, and prepare for the best/worst! At the very least, it shows that you weren't so terrible that they threw you out immediately. Good luck!

Should I consider LSE or KCL, after not being offered a place at Oxford?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending