The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2015/16 Postgraduate Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi- I am from UK, and yet I had opted for a Skype interview due to some personal reasons. Even i was in a dilemma just like you, thinking that maybe not going in person is going to convey a lack of commitment on my part. But i am happy to tell you that it made no difference at all. My application has been accepted :yes:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by brightsim
Hey,

So far I thought "Overseas" was rather referring to the US/AUS/..., but from what I have learned today (got my exact interview date & time), being from an EU-state, I also just have a Skype interview.

The "problem" is, that I have already booked flights, accommodation etc. Doing a Skype interview would allow me to prepare for 3 additional days, would save me several 100€s (I am not exactly broke but that's about how much I am making in 1 1/2 months at the moment, being only part-time employed while writing applications).

Going there in person would maybe show a little additional commitment.

What's your take on this. Are there many EU-applicants going there?

Hi- I am from UK, and yet I had opted for a Skype interview due to some personal reasons. Even i was in a dilemma just like you, thinking that maybe not going in person is going to convey a lack of commitment on my part. But i am happy to tell you that it made no difference at all. My application has been accepted :yes:
I got an offer from Oxford (Applied Linguistics) and from Cambridge (Mphil in Education in Second Language Education). I haven't decided where to go. I got an offer from Queens', Cambridge, but rejected Worcester, Oxford, still waiting for college. I know the Cambridge course focuses on research whereas Oxford on lectures. I'm attracted to both courses, but haven't made up my mind. Any advice?
Thank you guys! It just feels horrible given I had already booked most of the trip (because the proclaimed first potential interview day was getting very close). Money is a bit of a limiting factor right now and the decision between cancellation fees (pretty over the top) and paying the entire trip as a bit of a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea :biggrin:

Anyway, since not only money but also time is a limiting factor the rational choice is the Skype interview. Your posts just made the decision a bit easier :smile:
Original post by bshq
Hey I just attended a Skype interview day before yesterday and yesterday I received an informal mail stating that I have been accepted to a DPhil study in the Clinical Neurosciences department at Oxford. I am now quite worried about funding as I am an international student. I was told that I will get my offer letter ( along with every other details) next week. Can someone please tell me usually around what date the Claredon fund is allocated and what are my chances of getting it? :frown:

I have a Clarendon Scholarship. I think most people hear around early to mid April. I can't say anything about your personal chances, but I can tell you that Clarendon takes about 150 new people every year, and all from very different fields.
Reply 1185
Original post by shushushushu
I got an offer from Oxford (Applied Linguistics) and from Cambridge (Mphil in Education in Second Language Education). I haven't decided where to go. I got an offer from Queens', Cambridge, but rejected Worcester, Oxford, still waiting for college. I know the Cambridge course focuses on research whereas Oxford on lectures. I'm attracted to both courses, but haven't made up my mind. Any advice?

What I've seen of Queens', Cam is nice -- I've done some work with some of their special collections and they seem like a cool outfit.

But to be honest, I'd recommend mostly basing your decision on which course you feel suits you best, since in the long term is going to be more important than your college, and it sounds like those are two quite different courses. If you can't decide on that, perhaps you could try talking it over with any academic mentors you have?
Reply 1186
Original post by Historiadora
I have a Clarendon Scholarship. I think most people hear around early to mid April. I can't say anything about your personal chances, but I can tell you that Clarendon takes about 150 new people every year, and all from very different fields.

Several college scholarships are given in conjunction with the Clarendon fund. Do you know if they are counted in the 150 Clarendon scholarships? and which body decides its attribution (colleges or Clarendon)?
Original post by Josb
Several college scholarships are given in conjunction with the Clarendon fund. Do you know if they are counted in the 150 Clarendon scholarships? and which body decides its attribution (colleges or Clarendon)?

They are counted within that, yeah. As far as I understand it, Clarendon administrators work in conjunction with the college in order to place people where they would prefer to be or where the scholarships on offer best suit them. My own award is in conjunction with a college scholarship from the college I applied to. I know the Clarendon people and the people in college talked about awarding it to me because I had an informal offer (from my college) many weeks before I had a formal one & since my college offers two scholarships in conjunction with Clarendon, for a while it wasn't clear which one I would get or whether I would get one at all.

I'm not sure how it works for other people, but I definitely had an offer from Clarendon first. They let me know that I had the award, and that there was a possibility that it would be a joint award, but that regardless of whether I got one of the partnership scholarships I was still guaranteed the full amount. They only got back to me weeks later with the exact breakdown of my funding.

Does that make sense?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1188
They are counted within that, yeah. As far as I understand it, Clarendon administrators work in conjunction with the college in order to place people where they would prefer to be or where the scholarships on offer best suit them. My own award is in conjunction with a college scholarship from the college I applied to. I know the Clarendon people and the people in college talked about awarding it to me because I had an informal offer (from my college) many weeks before I had a formal one & since my college offers two scholarships in conjunction with Clarendon, for a while it wasn't clear which one I would get or whether I would get one at all.

I'm not sure how it works for other people, but I definitely had an offer from Clarendon first. They let me know that I had the award, and that there was a possibility that it would be a joint award, but that regardless of whether I got one of the partnership scholarships I was still guaranteed the full amount. They only got back to me weeks later with the exact breakdown of my funding.

Does that make sense?

Yes thanks. So the Clarendon scholarships are in fact given by the colleges? or is there a general pool?

When did you receive your informal offer?
Original post by Josb
Yes thanks. So the Clarendon scholarships are in fact given by the colleges? or is there a general pool?

When did you receive your informal offer?

Nope, I would think the opposite. I had my informal offer from the college (in Mid-April) weeks after I had my formal one from Clarendon (early April). The college probably didn't look at my application for scholarship purposes until after, or so I would guess.

I think Clarendon has every reason to be the primary decision maker as far as this goes. Most of the college partnership awards do not even cover living expenses. Clarendon funds the bulk of it. Plus, I think as one of the university-wide scholarships they probably get the selected & ranked applicants from the departments at an earlier stage than colleges would. I mean, obviously I didn't get it, but I was interviewed (by my faculty) in mid-February last year for an Ertegun scholarship also, so I know at that point they were already well into the process of departmental ranking.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1190
Nope, I would think the opposite. I had my informal offer from the college (in Mid-April) weeks after I had my formal one from Clarendon (early April). The college probably didn't look at my application for scholarship purposes until after, or so I would guess.

I think Clarendon has every reason to be the primary decision maker as far as this goes. Most of the college partnership awards do not even cover living expenses. Clarendon funds the bulk of it. Plus, I think as one of the university-wide scholarships they probably get the selected & ranked applicants from the departments at an earlier stage than colleges would. I mean, obviously I didn't get it, but I was interviewed (by my faculty) in mid-February last year for an Ertegun scholarship also, so I know at that point they were already well into the process of departmental ranking.

Mmm, I don't like that, several college awards are closely related to my situation, so I would have hoped that they were the first to make the decision in the process. :s-smilie:
Anyway, my "targeted" scholarship is given in conjunction with the AHRC, so do you think it's the same system? In that case, the college would give the "bulk" of it.
Original post by brightsim
Hey,

So far I thought "Overseas" was rather referring to the US/AUS/..., but from what I have learned today (got my exact interview date & time), being from an EU-state, I also just have a Skype interview.

The "problem" is, that I have already booked flights, accommodation etc. Doing a Skype interview would allow me to prepare for 3 additional days, would save me several 100€s (I am not exactly broke but that's about how much I am making in 1 1/2 months at the moment, being only part-time employed while writing applications).

Going there in person would maybe show a little additional commitment.

What's your take on this. Are there many EU-applicants going there?

I really don't think it'll matter.

I'm doing ALSLA.

I just screened through Cambridge's page and I think the two courses are very similar. I cannot see how Cambridge's more research-focused except that they seem to have a lesser workload overall, with around only half of the modular output load required; Oxford's also has a handful of catered research workshops and they have asked us to also take on the quantitative research module. There's also the optional module to get on to get an additional certificate in English language teaching.

And speaking of research, Oxford outperformed Cambridge big time in the field of education. 65% of all research output were graded 4, 27% 3; Cambridge's 54% 4s and 24% 3s. Oxford obtained better scores in all categories with the most notable advantage in research environment - 100% 4 versus Cambridge's 87.5%. This is despite Oxford putting more staff members into the review (Oxford puts every researcher into it, don't know if Cambridge does that).

In terms of employment, Oxford's has a 100% employment rate whilst Cambridge's has 5.3% unemployed and looking; Oxford also has a lower acceptance rate, with c18% compared to Cambridge's 35.1%. Though on these two I could only find older and all-routes data from Cambridge.

It may also be important to note that the titles of the course alone determine your future as well. From my experience, many job advertisements specifically ask for a master's in applied linguistics but not the other one; other universities may like the sound of an 'MPhil' better, though if they look into it, they'll know Oxford doesn't offer MPhils, and if they are that superficial, they are equally likely to assume an MPhil to be a failed PhD.
Original post by QHF
What I've seen of Queens', Cam is nice -- I've done some work with some of their special collections and they seem like a cool outfit.

But to be honest, I'd recommend mostly basing your decision on which course you feel suits you best, since in the long term is going to be more important than your college, and it sounds like those are two quite different courses. If you can't decide on that, perhaps you could try talking it over with any academic mentors you have?

Thank you for your advice! :smile:
Original post by clh_hilary
I'm doing ALSLA.

I just screened through Cambridge's page and I think the two courses are very similar. I cannot see how Cambridge's more research-focused except that they seem to have a lesser workload overall, with around only half of the modular output load required; Oxford's also has a handful of catered research workshops and they have asked us to also take on the quantitative research module. There's also the optional module to get on to get an additional certificate in English language teaching.

And speaking of research, Oxford outperformed Cambridge big time in the field of education. 65% of all research output were graded 4, 27% 3; Cambridge's 54% 4s and 24% 3s. Oxford obtained better scores in all categories with the most notable advantage in research environment - 100% 4 versus Cambridge's 87.5%. This is despite Oxford putting more staff members into the review (Oxford puts every researcher into it, don't know if Cambridge does that).

In terms of employment, Oxford's has a 100% employment rate whilst Cambridge's has 5.3% unemployed and looking; Oxford also has a lower acceptance rate, with c18% compared to Cambridge's 35.1%. Though on these two I could only find older and all-routes data from Cambridge.

It may also be important to note that the titles of the course alone determine your future as well. From my experience, many job advertisements specifically ask for a master's in applied linguistics but not the other one; other universities may like the sound of an 'MPhil' better, though if they look into it, they'll know Oxford doesn't offer MPhils, and if they are that superficial, they are equally likely to assume an MPhil to be a failed PhD.

Thank you for your advice.
I'm glad I've found someone who's doing ALSLA. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few questions.

I'm still waiting for college. I'm wondering about what percentage of your course mates are allocated to Kellogg? It seems that this course is strongly connected to Kellogg. Do you think if someone's rejected by the first choice college, he/she is likely to be offered by Kellogg or other graduate colleges?

Also, I'd like to know how demanding the course is, and how much you're satisfied with your course.

Thanks!
Reply 1195

Does that make sense?

Could you say if you applied for a DPhil position? And in what subject and department? Also are you an overseas student? So you are saying that Clarendon is sends an informal e-mail informing that student that he/she got accepted for full funding?
Reply 1196
Original post by somethingabby
The offer is for the NDM studentship which covers all university and college fees and includes a stipend, which was specified in the offer letter from the department. So.. yes? The application for DPhil Clinical Medicine is a little different because instead of just the Dphil application most people apply for the studentship as it's fully funded.

Hope that answers your question! Seems like we are lucky in science, funding in Arts almost seems equally if not more difficult than securing the position :frown:

How were you informed that you got accepted for full funding? were you sent an informal e-mail by the department/funding body along with an offer to be placed in the program?
Thank you for your advice.
I'm glad I've found someone who's doing ALSLA. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few questions.

I'm still waiting for college. I'm wondering about what percentage of your course mates are allocated to Kellogg? It seems that this course is strongly connected to Kellogg. Do you think if someone's rejected by the first choice college, he/she is likely to be offered by Kellogg or other graduate colleges?

Also, I'd like to know how demanding the course is, and how much you're satisfied with your course.

Thanks!

Off the top of my head, I can give you these statistics: 21 students are enrolled on to the course this cohort, with also 3 other part-timers and 1 full-timer from last year (she just did Michaelmas last year).

Out of the ones I can remember:
1 is at Hertford College
1 is at St Anne's College
1 is at Regent's Park College
1 is at St Hilda's College
1 is at Jesus College
2 is at St Catherine's College
9 is at Kellogg College (me included)
At least 2-3 Lady Margaret Hall

I don't remember the rest. The course does have a strong connection to Kellogg, for its course director (Prof Victoria Murphy) is at Kellogg, along with another lecturer, Dr Robert Vanderplank, the Head of Language Centre.

Nationality and ethnicity:
5 white British
3 non-white British
2 Hong Kong Chinese
1 Hong Kong non-Chinese
1 Singaporean Chinese
1 Japanese
1 German
2 white Dutch
1 Turkish
1 French
1 black Latin American
1 Taiwanese
3 mainland Chinese
1 Polish
1 Irish
1 Arab

At least 16 of them studied in the UK prior to joining ALSLA.

Languages represented: English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Dutch, Turkish, Russian, Arabic, Spanish, Swedish, Finnish, Italian, Polish, Irish, German, French, and some other minority languages.

1 already with a doctorate, at least 4-6 other ones already have a master's degree, and some other ones with other postgraduate qualifications (eg a PGCE). I was told in the past there was a professor even on the course.

2 have been university lecturers, 1 other one has been teaching at Oxford, another 1 working for OUP.

Universities studied include University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, University of Edinburgh, University of Hong Kong, University of Durham, University of London (SOAS, Royal Holloway, IoE), University of Nottingham, Oxford Brookes University, National Taiwan Normal University, etc.

There are 17 planned spaces with 109 applications last year, 32 offers (29%), and 21 acceptances (19%).

I'd say this is the department's 'flagship' taught course, especially when you consider the fact that the Director of Education along with two other professors, the Head of Language Centre, and the Manager of EMI Oxford all taught on it, with also the Director of Graduate Studies teaching on the statistics module. We also have Prof Paul Meara with us this year on two workshops.

Students also seem to perform very well on the dissertations. The highest marked dissertations have been from our course, with marks beyond 80.

In terms of the research output from the respective departments, the competition to the courses, the career prospects, the teachers' quality, the further studies prospects, students' performance, expectations on students, and course content, ALSLA outperformed the respective course at Cambridge.

The course consists of eight assessed modules (each with a 2500-word summative take-home examination), two non-assessed modules (each with 2 3000-word formative assignments), research workshops, and a dissertation. As mentioned, there is an optional module with a certificate in English language teaching for you. There are formative assessments throughout. Regarding only the summative assignments, this means you write c10000 words per term compared to 6000 for Cambridge.

The only thing your Cambridge offer seems to potentially have over Oxford's is that you'd be going to a traditional college. But not only does it not mean you'd be leaving on-site (graduates in mixed colleges are likely to be placed off-site), but also may not be an actual appeal as around 40% of all ALSLA students still go to a traditional college.

There are many benefits of being with Kellogg as well:
1. It's close to the department.
2. It is the largest graduate college and second-largest mixed college (behind St Catz), meaning there is a huge amount of established alumni for you to connect with.
3. It has a very diverse student population, in terms of disciplines, departments, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexuality, wealth, and age.
4. You get some free lunches with the ALSLA group.
5. The food is considered the best among all colleges, and you get free-flow alcohol at formal dinners.
6. You can present at The Colloquium as long as you apply early enough.
7. There's a college punt.
8. You can join Christ Church College's boat club and win their race for them (their winning men's team had half of the team Kelloggian).
9. The library is 24/7.
10. No porters.
11. You get bread, pudding, tea/coffee, still water/sparkling water, fruit on top of your main dish for all your 'informal' meals. When St John's College tells you they have formal dinner every day, they mean something exactly like that.
12. It is the college for silent discos.
13. It has a ball every year.
14. In the new academic year, we will have our first University Challenge team on television.
15. A lot easier to run for committee positions and representatives even as a fresher.

Fun fact: The President's father worked with Dr Alan Turing during the war to break the code, though unfortunately his character didn't make the cut to the historically inaccurate The Imitation Game,

Fun rumour: The President's son waits on your table.

---

I realise I didn't answer your questions directly, but I don't think my personal evaluation or feeling is all that useful to you, so I've decided to give you actual data instead.
Original post by MPauly
I just read online that applicants will be contacted one week before interviews commence... so it seems we will not be contacted about this program until next week! Good luck! I'll keep you posted if I hear anything else about it.:smile:

Finally received the interview invitation on Friday. Have you heard anything?
Reply 1199
Original post by clh_hilary

Fun fact: The President's father worked with Dr Alan Turing during the war to break the code, though unfortunately his character didn't make the cut to the historically inaccurate The Imitation Game,

Fun rumour: The President's son waits on your table.

Who is the president?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending