The Student Room Group

Applying to Uni

Hi,
I didnt do as well as i wanted to in my AS Levels and was planning to go for medicine but due to my grades i wont be able to do that. i will be re taking a few units and will hopefully get AAA at the end of A2. but what should I do? I will be applying to medicine in europe when the time comes but i am stuck when it comes to applying in the UK. should i apply to a different course? if so please tell me some courses related to medicine, or should I apply to medicine next year after i get my A2s. Also will applying next year mean that I will miss a year in terms of starting the course of my choice at the same time as my classmates.
Original post by ANIBHAT
Hi,
I didnt do as well as i wanted to in my AS Levels and was planning to go for medicine but due to my grades i wont be able to do that. i will be re taking a few units and will hopefully get AAA at the end of A2. but what should I do? I will be applying to medicine in europe when the time comes but i am stuck when it comes to applying in the UK. should i apply to a different course? if so please tell me some courses related to medicine, or should I apply to medicine next year after i get my A2s. Also will applying next year mean that I will miss a year in terms of starting the course of my choice at the same time as my classmates.

You didn't say what you got? That is the biggest factor in regards to whether you'd get in or not.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
You didn't say what you got? That is the biggest factor in regards to whether you'd get in or not.

i got 4Cs
Original post by ANIBHAT
i got 4Cs

You've got zero chance of starting Medicine in 2015 with your classmates. You could do your retakes, get 3 A's and apply for 2016 entry, however you'd probably need A*'s for medicine. Although going from C's to A's isn't unheard of, going from C's to A's and getting into medicine is another kettle of fish altogether.
Reply 4
You've got zero chance of starting Medicine in 2015 with your classmates. You could do your retakes, get 3 A's and apply for 2016 entry, however you'd probably need A*'s for medicine. Although going from C's to A's isn't unheard of, going from C's to A's and getting into medicine is another kettle of fish altogether.

I agree with you. I'm resitting a few exams with my A2's, im pretty sure i can get 3As at the end of my A-Levels. What are your opinions on European Universities?
Original post by ANIBHAT
I agree with you. I'm resitting a few exams with my A2's, im pretty sure i can get 3As at the end of my A-Levels. What are your opinions on European Universities?

Good idea, if you work hard consistently you can get the grades. A couple of people from my sixth-form did Medicine abroad, one in the South of France and the other somewhere else in Europe. The first student was French, so it made sense for them to return to France, and the second got ABB. So it is a possibility you could consider if you don't do brilliantly. Have a look at entry requirements online and read reviews on TSR; quite a few people from the UK go on to do Medicine in Europe. Good luck for your A2's and all the best for Medicine.
Original post by ANIBHAT

Deffo take a look at the ones in Bulgaria and Romania, it's worth a shot eh.
Reply 7
Good idea, if you work hard consistently you can get the grades. A couple of people from my sixth-form did Medicine abroad, one in the South of France and the other somewhere else in Europe. The first student was French, so it made sense for them to return to France, and the second got ABB. So it is a possibility you could consider if you don't do brilliantly. Have a look at entry requirements online and read reviews on TSR; quite a few people from the UK go on to do Medicine in Europe. Good luck for your A2's and all the best for Medicine.

thanks a lot for everything
Reply 8
Original post by WishIHadRevised
Deffo take a look at the ones in Bulgaria and Romania, it's worth a shot eh.

yeah, i know, thanks :smile:
I wouldn't start looking at international courses as your only option yet, as there are many downsides:
1. expense - no cap on fees
2.language difficulties - even if the course is in english you have to be able to communicate with the patients you see there
3. differences in the education system can make it difficult, e.g. french med schools use their end of 1st year exams to toss out most of the year, and those exams have trick questions (my french friend started med school in france then came over here cos she hated it so much)

If you can bring up your Cs to AAA by doing really well in your A2 exams and possibly resitting some AS units then you will have a chance of applying to UK unis that don't look at your AS results, there are a couple e.g. Aberdeen.
You would be in a considerably stronger position applying to a UK uni in a gap year with your A2 AAA already achieved, and most won't care about your AS results if you have your A2s.

Don't worry about doing the same thing at the same time as your friends, in the long term it doesn't matter at all; it's better to go to a UK med school after a gap year than to go straight to an international med school. Besides many school leavers take gap years for many reasons, people drop out of their first year of uni etc. Don't bother about thinking about what everyone else is doing, you need to concentrate on what is right for you and your life.
Reply 10
Original post by theresheglows
I wouldn't start looking at international courses as your only option yet, as there are many downsides:
1. expense - no cap on fees
2.language difficulties - even if the course is in english you have to be able to communicate with the patients you see there
3. differences in the education system can make it difficult, e.g. french med schools use their end of 1st year exams to toss out most of the year, and those exams have trick questions (my french friend started med school in france then came over here cos she hated it so much)

If you can bring up your Cs to AAA by doing really well in your A2 exams and possibly resitting some AS units then you will have a chance of applying to UK unis that don't look at your AS results, there are a couple e.g. Aberdeen.
You would be in a considerably stronger position applying to a UK uni in a gap year with your A2 AAA already achieved, and most won't care about your AS results if you have your A2s.

Don't worry about doing the same thing at the same time as your friends, in the long term it doesn't matter at all; it's better to go to a UK med school after a gap year than to go straight to an international med school. Besides many school leavers take gap years for many reasons, people drop out of their first year of uni etc. Don't bother about thinking about what everyone else is doing, you need to concentrate on what is right for you and your life.

+1 out of rep. This is excellent advice. Don't neglect the other aspects of your application though, and make sure you know why you underperformed at AS and fix it quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending