The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My maths textbooks had politically correct names, like Ahmed and Ashif. Like that is gonna make the text book look more modern or something.
Reply 2
Zebedee
My maths textbooks had politically correct names, like Ahmed and Ashif. Like that is gonna make the text book look more modern or something.

Yeh it's absolutely incredible isn't. What's wrong with the good old 'Bill', 'Arthur', 'James' names? Why make the names complicated and not from our shores? :mad: Makes my blood boil.
Reply 3
Well it is pc gone mad, i can't believe anyone seriously complained about it. ... that would be pathetic.
Zebedee

This was something i noticed even when i was very young and didn't know what the hell PC was! Every maths related story involves either Nazim, Raj, Sunita or Jemal.
I remember someone in my maths class put their hand up, after reading 5 exercises in which everyone was called Tyrone or Jamaal, complaining that the textbook did not make clear the simple fact that black people can't add up... makes me smile to this day.
Reply 6
ForeverIsMyName
I remember someone in my maths class put their hand up, after reading 5 exercises in which everyone was called Tyrone or Jamaal, complaining that the textbook did not make clear the simple fact that black people can't add up... makes me smile to this day.

I surprized he wasn't permanently excluded.
Reply 7
I'm studying for some crappy but mandatory qualification at work at the mo...I don't think I've come across a standard name like Steve once, all the hypothetical situations are played out by Mohammed, Sunshine (*edit: actually in a geography book...someplace anyways) and a chinese name I can never pronounce.

They seem to have got an entirely black cast for the pictures in it too...because of course, if 90% of people in all pictures aren't black, the publication is racist :rolleyes:.
Zebedee
Well it is pc gone mad, i can't believe anyone seriously complained about it. ... that would be pathetic.

I have to say i agree with you.
But worse examples abound in A level Economics. The entire market failure module reads like a New Labour manifesto...
Parts are true, but the vast majority...
Reply 9
Oh my god, for ****'S SAKE! Get a life you sad pathetic fools. Who gives the SLIGHTEST **** that the names in our text books have changed. Jesus Christ! You really are a sad lot aren't you? There are far more important aspects of "politicial correctness" to consider than the fact that text books have changed e.g. positive discrimination, the balance between free speech and preserving a cordial society, dealing effectively with social issues that are swept under the rug for fear of "offending" or losing voters. Political correctness is not a modern phenomenon: just read Shakespeare's plays, or admire the art in Rome, and you will see it is nothing new. Whenever PC comes up here it is always in a parochially frivolous context... :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Giliwoo
Oh my god, for ****S SAKE! Get a life you sad pathetic fools. Who gives the SLIGHTEST **** that the names in our text books have changed. Jesus Christ! You really are a sad lot aren't you? There are far more important aspects of "politicial correctness" to consider than the fact that text books have changed. Political correctness is not a modern phenomenon: just read Shakespeare's plays, or admire the art in Rome, and you will see it is nothing new. God

We were joking mostly. I think it is you who needs to 'get a life'. Look at all that pointless type...:rolleyes:.
No Tehjonny, that painfully sad, gut-wrenching thing is that most of you weren't joking at all. There has actually been a thread about the use of non-English names, and it had quite a few responses. Utter patheticness in its extreme. You are all a bunch of very sad, angry, bitter people if you actually give a horned and winged **** about the names of people on a maths test. When i do a maths test, i don't scrupulously analyse the amount of non-English names and then test them against the real population ratio. I tend to just anser the questions. GET LIVES!
Reply 12
We're not the ones that are sad, the people that decided to change the names from normal english ones to strange PC names are the ones that are sad.

I find it funny because its multiculturalism at its most transparent:biggrin:

I would laugh, but then it actually is a small part of a serious problem.
Zebedee
We're not the ones that are sad, the people that decided to change the names from normal english ones to strange PC names are the ones that are sad.

I find it funny because its multiculturalism at its most transparent:biggrin:

I would laugh, but then it actually is a small part of a serious problem.

"strange pc names"? How the hell is mohammed a strange pc name? Its just a name that isn't english. I know you find it hard to cope with anything non-british, but come one. Names too?
Reply 14
I don't mind what names are used, but it doesn't stop me noticing a blatant bit of multiculturalist propaganda.

They usually read, John, Ashif and Sahira were thinking about probability... etc

They must think kids are stupid if they don't think they realise the true purpose of changing the names. As 11 year olds we could all see it.
Reply 15
People, people, chill out.

Nobody is really saying that everyone in maths textbooks has a non-British name. I think people were exaggerating for comic effect a little bit, which I entirely agree with because I am of the generation that saw the change happen, and it is funny simply because of the fact that nobody actually cares what the people are called, and yet somebody did make the change.

Anyway, so what do people think about my suggestion for a GCSE chemistry question:

"Given that the structure of a Boeing 747 cabin fails at 200psi internal pressure, calculate the mass of soluable explosive Abdul needs to successfully martyr himself.

"BONUS: A sniffer dog needs at least 50ppm of explosive scent to positively identify it. How many Jihad brothers must Abdul recruit in order to smuggle the explosive through Heathrow security?"
Reply 16
It stole my job. It took my money. It raped my wife. It closed down my local chippy and replaced it with a Curry House. It cancelled Christmas in my town. It changed the lyrics to my favourite nursery rhyme. It took my dignity and threw it out of the window and it's never coming back.
Giliwoo
Oh my god, for ****'S SAKE! Get a life you sad pathetic fools. Who gives the SLIGHTEST **** that the names in our text books have changed. Jesus Christ! You really are a sad lot aren't you? There are far more important aspects of "politicial correctness" to consider than the fact that text books have changed e.g. positive discrimination, the balance between free speech and preserving a cordial society, dealing effectively with social issues that are swept under the rug for fear of "offending" or losing voters. Political correctness is not a modern phenomenon: just read Shakespeare's plays, or admire the art in Rome, and you will see it is nothing new. Whenever PC comes up here it is always in a parochially frivolous context... :rolleyes:

:fuhrer:
Reply 18
Anyway, so what do people think about my suggestion for a GCSE chemistry question:

"Given that the structure of a Boeing 747 cabin fails at 200psi internal pressure, calculate the mass of soluable explosive Abdul needs to successfully martyr himself.

"BONUS: A sniffer dog needs at least 50ppm of explosive scent to positively identify it. How many Jihad brothers must Abdul recruit in order to smuggle the explosive through Heathrow security?"

:laugh: that's pretty funny
Laika
It stole my job. It took my money. It raped my wife. It closed down my local chippy and replaced it with a Curry House. It cancelled Christmas in my town. It changed the lyrics to my favourite nursery rhyme. It took my dignity and threw it out of the window and it's never coming back.

i ahve to say the changing of baa baa black sheep was something that really made me gawp at the stupidity of it

Latest

Trending

Trending