The Student Room Group

King's College London GEM (A102) Applicants 2015

Anyone else applying for 2015 entry? Figured it would be cool to make a thread where we can all discuss

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey. Im now considering applying as dont think I did well in GAMSAT so relying on my UKCAT to hopefully get me some interviews
Is there any chance you could tell me what degree you have? I'm doing a maths degree currently and thinking about GEM entry. Also what work experience did you get? Thanks mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by JoshBedford
Is there any chance you could tell me what degree you have? I'm doing a maths degree currently and thinking about GEM entry. Also what work experience did you get? Thanks mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a MEng in Mechanical and Electrical engineering. Been working in the industry for 8 years now but decided its to time to change and medicine is what I want to do.

Work experience - couple of months volunteering with the Riding for the Disabled, active Red Cross First Aider and currently volunteer with the Alzheimer's society at their singing for the brain groups. Have only done 3 days showing at the local hospital.
Reply 4
Original post by nug
Hey. Im now considering applying as dont think I did well in GAMSAT so relying on my UKCAT to hopefully get me some interviews

You never know, don't panic until you have a reason to :wink:
But glad to see other people that are interested in applying to King's also

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by JoshBedford

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got a BSc in biomedical science and I'm currently doing an MSc in neuroscience.
Got over a year's experience at a hospice and have done shadowing including spending time in the OR... Remember it's quality and not necessarily quantity as you're more than likely not going to be able to mention everything you've done when it comes to writing your personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by nug
I have a MEng in Mechanical and Electrical engineering. Been working in the industry for 8 years now but decided its to time to change and medicine is what I want to do.

Work experience - couple of months volunteering with the Riding for the Disabled, active Red Cross First Aider and currently volunteer with the Alzheimer's society at their singing for the brain groups. Have only done 3 days showing at the local hospital.

Do you mind me asking why the career change? I know a few engineers who have switched to medicine and each story behind their decision to switch is an interesting one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Applying as well. I'm a reapplicant but didn't apply to King's last year so this is all new to me :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by santi_92
Do you mind me asking why the career change? I know a few engineers who have switched to medicine and each story behind their decision to switch is an interesting one

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've always been interested in medicine but at 17/18 yrs old, I was really shy and didn’t feel mature enough to pursue a career in it. So I opted for engineering, the home for the socially inept! :-P

However as I have grown up (I’m now 31) I have become more secure in myself and confident so have decided to finally give it a go. I have a very strong interest in orthopedics so I believe a lot of the skills I have picked being an engineer would be highly applicable to becoming a doctor in this field.

How about yourself, why medicine now?
Thank you for your openness, it's great to see what others are doing! If you don't mind my asking, what other schools have you applied to?
Reply 10
Original post by nug
I've always been interested in medicine but at 17/18 yrs old, I was really shy and didn’t feel mature enough to pursue a career in it. So I opted for engineering, the home for the socially inept! :-P

However as I have grown up (I’m now 31) I have become more secure in myself and confident so have decided to finally give it a go. I have a very strong interest in orthopedics so I believe a lot of the skills I have picked being an engineer would be highly applicable to becoming a doctor in this field.

How about yourself, why medicine now?

Your story is great. Thanks for responding as I know not everyone likes to divulge that information. Having all the experience you have will definitely be a huge advantage for you in medicine. When you say orthopaedics do you mean surgery? I'm extremely interested in cardiothoracic surgery and neurosurgery.

Mine is nowhere near as interesting as yours. I have always been focused on medicine, however medical research also spoke to me. That combined with the fact that I would like to end up practising in the US, I never even thought about applying for medicine after my alevels. The plan was always biomedical science (pre-med) followed by med school, then a phd. Or a combined MD-Phd degree if I can afford it! I'm honestly really glad I did biomed because that's made me more determined to also pursue research, and it also convinced me to pursue the masters degree that I'm doing now. I actually got into med school abroad but KCL offered me a place on their masters so I took it and I'm really glad I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know when the uni's let everyone know if they have been chosen for interview? I got an email from King's saying my application had been received (same one every applicant gets) but that they would try and let people know within 4-6 weeks. Just wanted to know as currently on a secondment in Sydney, and if successful I'll be cutting my placement short! haha
Hi All,

I'm applying for A102 for 2015 entry :smile:

my background:

2.i in Classics from Oxford,

AAA at A Level 1st time around (before A*) but no science

Studied for Chemistry A Level this year and got an A*.

UKCAT average 815 and SJT Band 1

Work Exp: 1 week shadowing in a hospital and active St John Ambulance First Aider.

How's everyone getting on with their PS?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by JenniB22
Hi All,

I'm applying for A102 for 2015 entry :smile:

my background:

2.i in Classics from Oxford,

AAA at A Level 1st time around (before A*) but no science

Studied for Chemistry A Level this year and got an A*.

UKCAT average 815 and SJT Band 1

Work Exp: 1 week shadowing in a hospital and active St John Ambulance First Aider.

How's everyone getting on with their PS?

PS? Don't you mean Satan's letter? :wink:

I'm at the butchering stage; literally cutting away whole paragraphs to meet the character/line limit. How is yours coming along?
Original post by santi_92
PS? Don't you mean Satan's letter? :wink:

I'm at the butchering stage; literally cutting away whole paragraphs to meet the character/line limit. How is yours coming along?

Satan's Letter is totally accurate. I've just finished doing the same, now trying to figure out the best order of my paragraphs and sentences, which is giving me a headache!
Reply 15
Ahh, my paragraphs are in order, it's just the headache of cutting it down. What stays and what goes?!

Satan's Letter is totally accurate. I've just finished doing the same, now trying to figure out the best order of my paragraphs and sentences, which is giving me a headache!
Just sent off my UCAS.....and now we wait! Anyone else sent theirs? If so do we get an acknowledgement from KCL?
Reply 17
Just sent off my UCAS.....and now we wait! Anyone else sent theirs? If so do we get an acknowledgement from KCL?

Yup.

Last year I received acknowledgment from KCL within two weeks (re-applicant). They give you access to their application portal thingymajig.
Original post by skyhook
Yup.

Last year I received acknowledgment from KCL within two weeks (re-applicant). They give you access to their application portal thingymajig.

Ah cool, thanks :smile: Do they use the portal whatsit in addition to or instead of emails/track?
Reply 19
Ah cool, thanks :smile: Do they use the portal whatsit in addition to or instead of emails/track?

In addition to track, but you'll hear things first on the portal. And it's meant to generate an email every time something changes on the portal.

Quick Reply