The Student Room Group

I have never had a boyfriend. But why?

Baisically I am 16 years old (female) and I have never had a boyfriend. I am not ugly or anything as I have had people tell me that I am pretty.:rolleyes: But I just don't know how to get one. I often feel jealous when my friends talk about their boyfriends etc. I have even never kissed one in my life:eek: I want to know how it feels like to have someone to hold and kiss etc. What can I do about it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this may sound cliche... but just wait and you'll meet someone! and even when you do meet a guy you like, just be normal around him and see where it goes! dont worry about meeting someone- you will! :smile:
Your only 16, there is no need to worry about getting a boyfriend yet, just enjoy going out and living your life.
Reply 3
Boyfriends really arn't a must have :smile: Just wait. go out and meet people, talk to them and be a nice person. Never appear desperate though.
Reply 4
you have nothing to worry about, it will just happen
Because you're 16, probably. It's not really that old despite what it might feel like in comparison to some of your friends.
Reply 6
Anonymous
Baisically I am 16 years old (female) and I have never had a boyfriend. I am not ugly or anything as I have had people tell me that I am pretty.:rolleyes: But I just don't know how to get one. I often feel jealous when my friends talk about their boyfriends etc. I have even never kissed one in my life:eek: I want to know how it feels like to have someone to hold and kiss etc. What can I do about it?

Your only 16!
Reply 7
xyz2k6
Your only 16!

But there is a lot of peer pressure!:frown:
Reply 8
Is there actuall;y any guy that you like. If not then there really is no need to get a boyfriend. Some girls only want boyfriends to prove they are pretty. Thats why so many of them show off and talk incessanlty about their boyfriends.
dont worry im in the situation but im two years older :frown:: you get used to it after a while :'(
Anonymous

But that's the wrong reason to want a relationship, just 'cause your friends have them. :mad:

Chances are you'll end up in a relationship and not really appreciate it. 16 is a bit young, even if it doesn't feel it to you. There are people in their 20s and 30s who find themselves with serious partners and think 'Oh my gosh, this is too much...'

I didn't end up with a boyfriend until I was late 16, and I'm by no means ugly, unintelligent or unremarkable. I'm glad I waited though, meant that I had fewer horrible experiences with young guys wanting to pressure me into sex (just cause that'd be what all their friends were doing, sound familiar? :rolleyes: ) or similar... I remember feeling so frustrated and so sad because it felt like nobody wanted me or that I was completely unattractive to the opposite sex. Believe it or not, I know how you feel. AND I went to an all girls Catholic convent school, so it wasn't exactly easy for me!

From somebody who's experienced what you're going through, and who's also seen a lot of their friends jump into 'relationships' early on and regret it, just give it time. It's nothing to do with you. The guys your age aren't really interested in proper relationships, even if they pretend they are. You need to hold out a bit longer and find someone who you LIKE and RESPECT as a person, not just as a potential boyfriend.

And the old adage is true: it's quality not quantity. Your friends may have had X amount of ok boyfriends, but you could find someone next week who's infinitely more amazing and better suited to you. Inevitably, that means more...

Chin up :smile:
Anonymous

Just because everyone else is going out and getting hooked up don't mean you have to, don't let anyone tell you what to do, be yourself.
Reply 12
OMG you're 16. When your 25 and you saying that then do something about it.
Navajo
OMG you're 16. When your 25 and you saying that then do something about it.

i know what youre ssaying, but i know girls who started dating whne theywere 10 :p: sure it was only touching hands whatever but i mena to be 18 or 16 in the ops case, it really makes you have little self confidence as you feel ignored by the gender youre trying in vain to attract!
Anonymous

Well I am 20 and I have not been in a relationship yet. Primarily because I am having trouble meeting someone that I connect with 'mentally' and am also attracted too. Hard finding both.

If I were to give into peer pressure and expectations, I would probably be in a relationship with any old person at this moment. Is it worth it, being tied down? Probably not. As I would be far from content, and would probably cheat on her when someone I actually 'connect with' mentally and like physically comes along.

Your still young. Don't let peer pressure dictate your life.
Please stop posting the same threads over and over. There are MANY people in your situation, there are a few 23 year olds i know from uni who have never had a girlfriend and they are not complete mingers. There is a thread like this every day, so please stop wasting our time, and use the search function.
xyz2k6
Well I am 20 and I have not been in a relationship yet. Primarily because I am having trouble meeting someone that I connect with 'mentally' and am also attracted too. Hard finding both.

If I were to give into peer pressure and expectations, I would probably be in a relationship with any old person at this moment. Is it worth it, being tied down? Probably not. As I would be far from content, and would probably cheat on her when someone I actually 'connect with' mentally and like physically comes along.

Your still young. Don't let peer pressure dictate your life.

but do you really think its peer pressure, she says it is, buti dont think it is. Shes curious, and wants to experience things that other people around her already have. People arent forcing her to be in a relationship, and iquote: she wants to know what it feels like to have someone to hold and kiss etc.. thats sounds like curiosity to me :wink:

hi by the way :p:
Anonymous
Please stop posting the same threads over and over. There are MANY people in your situation, there are a few 23 year olds i know from uni who have never had a girlfriend and they are not complete mingers. There is a thread like this every day, so please stop wasting our time, and use the search function.

:p: short and sweet :wink:
Reply 18
Anonymous

Peer pressure is a horrible thing. Yes, everyone around you may seem to be paired up, but half of them probably don't even know what it means to be in a relationship beyond kissing and being physical. I can relate to the whole 'I want someone' thing, but it's best for when the time is right: then it is much more likely to be a positive experience. And you've said yourself you get compliments: so you can rest assured it isn't anything wrong with you, it's just about waiting and enjoying life in the meantime. :smile:
Reply 19
im 19 nd tho ive had chances, nd always seem to (apparently) have some1 fancy me,while others tell me im good looking, ive never had a proper girlfriend yet. Ive also not properly kissed some1 yet (lol been kissed by random drunk people i havent known for more than 5 minutes tho, but nothing special). just never clicked with someone personality wise, and when i have its been impossible for anything to happen for whatever reason

ill meet some1 when i meet some1, if u look too hard, youll miss whats right in front of you
your only 16, be paitient my friend and your time will come

Latest

Trending

Trending