The Student Room Group

Writing this in a personal statement

I've seen quite a few personal statements now and a lot of them talk about grade 8 in instrument X or going to another country with a charity or representing the school in lacrosee... I don't have anything like that.
I come from a fairly low-income background, I only live with my mum who lost her job years back, no one in my family has been to university and I haven't had nearly as many opportunities as those in good state schools or private schools.

I hate using it as an excuse, but would it be good to mention that despite being in this situation, I'm still determined to study the course? The main drive behind me working so hard is the fact that I'm disadvantaged compared to others so it means a lot for me to go to university and do what I'm really interested in.

The thing is, I don't know if universities really take this into account.. especially Oxbridge. I had a look at some statistics and it all seems to favour those who aren't in my situation. It just feels hopeless sometimes.

Any advice? :frown:
Original post by Remedium
I've seen quite a few personal statements now and a lot of them talk about grade 8 in instrument X or going to another country with a charity or representing the school in lacrosee... I don't have anything like that.
I come from a fairly low-income background, I only live with my mum who lost her job years back, no one in my family has been to university and I haven't had nearly as many opportunities as those in good state schools or private schools.

I hate using it as an excuse, but would it be good to mention that despite being in this situation, I'm still determined to study the course? The main drive behind me working so hard is the fact that I'm disadvantaged compared to others so it means a lot for me to go to university and do what I'm really interested in.

The thing is, I don't know if universities really take this into account.. especially Oxbridge. I had a look at some statistics and it all seems to favour those who aren't in my situation. It just feels hopeless sometimes.

This would be a great idea.
Also, for Oxbridge especially, there are outreach schemes for people just like you! If you are from a deprived area/postcode, they will know this, and your results are contextualised depending on your school.

So just end your ps with something about how none of your family have been to university and therefore you would relish the challenge of a degree or something :smile: I'm in a similar position to you by the way

What subject you applying for ?
Reply 2
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
Also, for Oxbridge especially, there are outreach schemes for people just like you! If you are from a deprived area/postcode, they will know this, and your results are contextualised depending on your school.

So just end your ps with something about how none of your family have been to university and therefore you would relish the challenge of a degree or something :smile: I'm in a similar position to you by the way

I really want to do medicine which makes it worse :frown:
It's a profession which is dominated by those with a family history of higher education, good opportunities etc. > http://www.gmc-uk.org/publications/23538.asp

I live in a pretty deprived area (searched my postcode - 6% in country I think) so hopefully that counts I guess..
I really want to do medicine which makes it worse :frown:
It's a profession which is dominated by those with a family history of higher education, good opportunities etc. > http://www.gmc-uk.org/publications/23538.asp

I live in a pretty deprived area (searched my postcode - 6% in country I think) so hopefully that counts I guess..

That sucks. But what matters for medicine is work experience, and unfortunately its a matter of who you know, in terms of contacts and getting experience.

But universities should take your position into account! If you're clever enough that is. Good luck, I hope you manage to get some experience! Volunteering in a care home is a good place to start, they always need extra hands! :smile:
Maybe you could do a little bit of work exp in a charity shop that will look good or like mentoring at your school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Cambridge certainly don't contextualise your results, they said as much at one of the open days I went to. Something about in not being a good predictor for higher education success

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trouty97
Cambridge certainly don't contextualise your results, they said as much at one of the open days I went to. Something about in not being a good predictor for higher education success

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_4.html

EXAMPLE: if you're from Brighton college and got 10A*s this will not look as impressive as someone from an inner city state school with maybe 8A*s. Cambridge, as do other unis, have to take into account that some schools are better than other in terms of teaching, class sizes and stuff. So OBVIOUSLY your post code, your school - everything - is taken into account.

Out of interest which college told you that?
Reply 7
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_4.html

EXAMPLE: if you're from Brighton college and got 10A*s this will not look as impressive as someone from an inner city state school with maybe 8A*s. Cambridge, as do other unis, have to take into account that some schools are better than other in terms of teaching, class sizes and stuff. So OBVIOUSLY your post code, your school - everything - is taken into account.

Out of interest which college told you that?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410197692.261108.jpg
If you can read that, third question from the bottom. This is the sheet that Trinity gave me on the open day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410197692.261108.jpg
If you can read that, third question from the bottom. This is the sheet that Trinity gave me on the open day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well no offence to Trinity but that seems like a horribly bigoted view to have. surely they have to take into account contextual factors such as school and housing?
most colleges have a 'flag system' to make it a bit more fair..
I guess that's why trinity has a reputation for being full of rahs than
Reply 9
well no offence to Trinity but that seems like a horribly bigoted view to have. surely they have to take into account contextual factors such as school and housing?
most colleges have a 'flag system' to make it a bit more fair..
I guess that's why trinity has a reputation for being full of rahs than

Yeah, but, to be fair, if you're that good a student, surely you will succeed no matter where you are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, but, to be fair, if you're that good a student, surely you will succeed no matter where you are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do sort of agree but I do also think that other factors can affect it. For example, when I was doing my gcses, I didn't have a computer in my house, my desk was in the living room and all my classes had 40 people in them. Compare that with someone at a private school and you can see why they contextualise results and stuff.
Reply 11
I do sort of agree but I do also think that other factors can affect it. For example, when I was doing my gcses, I didn't have a computer in my house, my desk was in the living room and all my classes had 40 people in them. Compare that with someone at a private school and you can see why they contextualise results and stuff.

Fair enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This sort of thing isn't supposed to go on your personal statement. Instead, the person writing your reference should mention it in the reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending