The Student Room Group

Double science, :)

So i have phone 20 schools over the last week and have gone back and forth a million times (it feels like that many anyway) to Edexcel and AQA.
This morning i received a call from a local school who takes external candidates (the only school within 90 miles) and i am taking a double science certificate with AQA, which im reassured will be accepted as a GCSE equivalent.
Amazing news.
I am also studying single science at a college, which i hope will help me with regards to learning a few units. My question is what would fellow TSR users reccomend i use to learn the other units?? I will be taking higher.

Its 6 exams (no assessments) and will coat me £150-£200 and i have to pay in January.
I am so happy and excited i had almost lost hope. Just like everyone says perservereance is always the answer.

Thanks to everyone who guided me this route.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by vickie89uk
So i have phone 20 schools over the last week and have gone back and forth a million times (it feels like that many anyway) to Edexcel and AQA.
This morning i received a call from a local school who takes external candidates (the only school within 90 miles) and i am taking a double science certificate with AQA, which im reassured will be accepted as a GCSE equivalent.
Amazing news.
I am also studying single science at a college, which i hope will help me with regards to learning a few units. My question is what would fellow TSR users reccomend i use to learn the other units?? I will be taking higher.

Its 6 exams (no assessments) and will coat me £150-£200 and i have to pay in January.
I am so happy and excited i had almost lost hope. Just like everyone says perservereance is always the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done! From my gcse's i'd say buy the relevant text book and that's about all you need. BBC bitesize was always decent too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Amazing news.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It sounds very much like you're taking this:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/aqa-certificate/science-double-award-8404

Which is an IGCSE, so definitely equivalent to a GCSE version. Congrats!

That page I linked features a link to the specification, here:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-SCIENCE-IGCSE-DOUBLE-AWARD.PDF

This will be very useful and important to you. It contains a giant list of every single detail you need to know and have studied for the exams.
Reply 3
Yes 8404 option B i am so happy, i was so starting to worry. Huge weight of my mind now. Thank You for your help. Yes AQA said its a certificate which is equivalent and the same classification as the Edexcel IGCSE course. Time to save up my £150-£200 for the exams now which ill have in november :smile:
Original post by Ronove
It sounds very much like you're taking this:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/aqa-certificate/science-double-award-8404

Which is an IGCSE, so definitely equivalent to a GCSE version. Congrats!

That page I linked features a link to the specification, here:

This will be very useful and important to you. It contains a giant list of every single detail you need to know and have studied for the exams.

I have printed this out and filed it away in my science binder.

I am on my way. I am so thankful for this forum, without it i wouldnt have been aware that doing exams through a senior school was even a possibility for me. It's really great, for a moment i thought i would never get double science and that i would never be accepted to medical school.
I have hope now and i am going to work my butt off.

Thank you again :smile: :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by em.d_4
Well done! From my gcse's i'd say buy the relevant text book and that's about all you need. BBC bitesize was always decent too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
So having looked through the specification several times i am unsure i am reading it properly.

On page 10 of this attachment its starts to explain subject content, is the information you should know listed in the boxes. For example B1.1 a) is all thats listed under A with little red and blue flags what i need to be looking at or am i reading this wrong.
I have never had a specification before and i want to make sure i am looking at the right parts as its half self taught.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
So having looked through the specification several times i am unsure i am reading it properly.

On page 10 of this attachment its starts to explain subject content, is the information you should know listed in the boxes. For example B1.1 a) is all thats listed under A with little red and blue flags what i need to be looking at or am i reading this wrong.
I have never had a specification before and i want to make sure i am looking at the right parts as its half self taught.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

The orange and blue flags are just bullet points. You need to know everything. So, for example, in B1.1, you need to know a, b, c, d and e. If something is written in italics (eg in (e), 'Candidates should be able, when provided with appropriate information, to relate the structure of
different types of cell to their function in a tissue, an organ, or the whole organism
') it is clarifying exactly how much you need to know and how well you need to know it (and also sometimes hints at how you might be tested).
Reply 7
Original post by Ronove
The orange and blue flags are just bullet points. You need to know everything. So, for example, in B1.1, you need to know a, b, c, d and e. If something is written in italics (eg in (e), 'Candidates should be able, when provided with appropriate information, to relate the structure of
different types of cell to their function in a tissue, an organ, or the whole organism
') it is clarifying exactly how much you need to know and how well you need to know it (and also sometimes hints at how you might be tested).

Ah interesting, I will highlight those bits so I know they are hints. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending