The Student Room Group

How important is mentioning work experience in a personal statement?

Hi everyone! I'm hoping to apply to study Biochemistry at university. I did work experience this summer at a pharmacy, but I'm having difficulty relating it to how this has made me want to study Biochemistry. To be honest I didn't enjoy it at all.

I was wondering, how important/liked is it to have had work experience? I have done it, but it seems to be ruining the 'flow' of my statement. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

Also, I'm hoping to apply to:
- York
- Birmingham
- St Andrews
- Edinburgh
- Leicester
Original post by Peaches and Cream
BUMP! Please, I'm so stuck, really need some help :cry2:

Work experience is valuable for vocational degrees such as medicine or teaching. It isn't important for academic subjects, although if you have any, then reflecting on relevant topics is fine. Please don't bump a thread after only 9 minutes.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Work experience is valuable for vocational degrees such as medicine or teaching. It isn't important for academic subjects, although if you have any, then reflecting on relevant topics is fine. Please don't bump a thread after only 9 minutes.

Thank you. Would you recommend talking about it or not? I'm having a really hard time making a decision on this!
Reply 3
Hi everyone! I'm hoping to apply to study Biochemistry at university. I did work experience this summer at a pharmacy, but I'm having difficulty relating it to how this has made me want to study Biochemistry. To be honest I didn't enjoy it at all.

I was wondering, how important/liked is it to have had work experience? I have done it, but it seems to be ruining the 'flow' of my statement. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

Also, I'm hoping to apply to:
- York
- Birmingham
- St Andrews
- Edinburgh
- Leicester

Hey, I ment'oned work experience in my personal statement that did not relate to my degree or aspirations at all. But it is how you word it that matters.
I sent you a message i hope it help you :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you. Would you recommend talking about it or not? I'm having a really hard time making a decision on this!

If you can't say anything relevant and positive about it, leave it out and focus on the aspects of the course that interest you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending