The Student Room Group

BOYS - what do you think of a hot girl with a shaved head?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karmacrunch
14 year old... You should go to bed. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

People in glass houses...
Original post by furbybrain
Thats your opinion.

You cant tell me whether I personally have found these responses interesting or not though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it is not. It is a fact that a) physical attraction is not rational (because it does not employ rational inferences) and b) physical attraction (like all our behaviour) is shaped by natural selection and other evolutionary factors neither of which are rational.

I never mentioned anything about whether or not you found the responses interesting. I merely pointed out that any response you get here will be a mere rationalisation of a set of processes that are not readily under your control. If you want answers (and not rationalisations), you would be served reading scientific papers and books on the subject.
Original post by Juichiro
No, it is not. It is a fact that a) physical attraction is not rational (because it does not employ rational inferences) and b) physical attraction (like all our behaviour) is shaped by natural selection and other evolutionary factors neither of which are rational.

I never mentioned anything about whether or not you found the responses interesting. I merely pointed out that any response you get here will be a mere rationalisation of a set of processes that are not readily under your control. If you want answers (and not rationalisations), you would be served reading scientific papers and books on the subject.

It clearly turns out that physical attraction is very rational since many guys can clearly put their hand up and say:

"I don't find her attractive BECAUSE she has no hair".

Additionally, why is this irritating you so much? I'm not saying its better not to have hair. In fact I'm not saying anything. I'm just interested in peoples (not journals) opinions on the matter, not an argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends how well they pull it off. Some women still look good with shorter hair but generally it'd be a no

Posted from TSR Mobile
It clearly turns out that physical attraction is very rational since many guys can clearly put their hand up and say:

"I don't find her attractive BECAUSE she has no hair".

Additionally, why is this irritating you so much? I'm not saying its better not to have hair. In fact I'm not saying anything. I'm just interested in peoples (not journals) opinions on the matter, not an argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. "I don't find her attractive BECAUSE she has no hair" is still a rationalisation because the person has not provided a rational argument for why he is not attracted to lack of hair.

The convo would go along the following lines:
Furby: Why don't you find me attractive?
Boy: I don't find you attractive because you have no hair?
Furby: Why don't you find lack of hair attractive?
Boy: Because I don't. -> Circular logic

See? The boy cannot explain on rational grounds why he is not attracted to hairless heads. That is why I said that it is not rational.

P.S. It does not irritate me at all (why would you think that?). I find you and the thread amusing. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I view long hair as an attractive sign of femininity.

So no.
Original post by Juichiro
No. "I don't find her attractive BECAUSE she has no hair" is still a rationalisation because the person has not provided a rational argument for why he is not attracted to lack of hair.

The convo would go along the following lines:
Furby: Why don't you find me attractive?
Boy: I don't find her attractive because she has no hair?
Furby: Why don't you find lack of hair attractive?
Boy: Because I don't. -> Circular logic

See? The boy cannot explain on rational grounds why he is not attracted to hairless heads. That is why I said that it is not rational.

P.S. It does not irritate me at all (why would you think that?). I find you and the thread amusing. :smile:

Yes, the point is trying to get past the circular logic and think about the topic in general. There is no right or wrong answer. And people have provided fascinating responses on here about their opinions.. which was the whole point. Why don't you go and read them?

Secondly, the thread is not about me. I don't have a shaved head.

And you do seem to be getting your knickers into quite a twist... :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
If we're going completely on appearance then I'm not sure. Depends mostly on what she's like.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
As unbelievably hot as she is with no hair, she'd still look better with it imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

DON'T WORRY PEEPS Eva IS A DUDE Called EVAN she told me Secretly:colone:
Original post by incognito.j2
DON'T WORRY PEEPS Eva IS A DUDE Called EVAN she told me Secretly:colone:

Bitch, just cause I didn't give you my instagram :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'll take that as a compliment :tongue:The "B" word seems to suit my style.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just Post A Pic Eva/Evan And I'll Leave You Alone I Promise:colondollar:
But that would just be a preconceived stereotype of "feminine"...

What do you think of guys with great long hair and beards? Not "masculine"? I have found long haired men very attractive in the past seeming more manly if anything..

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a preconceived stereotype. Biologically, and particularly for European/South Asian/East Asian women, baldness is a male physical characteristic as it is primarily caused by androgens (male hormones such as testosterone). When a woman is bald or balding, we are genetically programmed to view it as an underlying hormone imbalance - and hence it is, objectively, less attractive.

It is the same thing as saying that facial hair on a woman is not unattractive and is a 'preconceived stereotype'. Facial hair is also stimulated by an excess of underlying testosterone. It is an objective indicator of poor hormonal balance in the body.

For another example pertaining to men, if they have breasts - a condition called gynecomostasia - would you be attracted to them? I doubt it. The condition is caused by an excess estrogen to testosterone ratio. Women are biologically programmed to not view that as attractive.

Hope that answers your question if you are genuinely interested in 'why' as opposed to 'but you guys are sooooooo shallow'.

320px-Gynecomastia_001.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Short hair, yes. Fully shaved head, no.
Original post by ClickItBack
It's not a preconceived stereotype. Biologically, and particularly for European/South Asian/East Asian women, baldness is a male physical characteristic as it is primarily caused by androgens (male hormones such as testosterone). When a woman is bald or balding, we are genetically programmed to view it as an underlying hormone imbalance - and hence it is, objectively, less attractive.

It is the same thing as saying that facial hair on a woman is not unattractive and is a 'preconceived stereotype'. Facial hair is also stimulated by an excess of underlying testosterone. It is an objective indicator of poor hormonal balance in the body.

For another example pertaining to men, if they have breasts - a condition called gynecomostasia - would you be attracted to them? I doubt it. The condition is caused by an excess estrogen to testosterone ratio. Women are biologically programmed to not view that as attractive.

Hope that answers your question if you are genuinely interested in 'why' as opposed to 'but you guys are sooooooo shallow'.

320px-Gynecomastia_001.jpg

Yeah thats a really good answer, so lack of hair sort of indicates testosterone... (even if its nothing to do with actual hormones) That makes sense.

Im sorry I didn't mean to have a go or get preachy, I just got a bit annoyed earlier because some people started to turn the discussion into a personal attack.. *sigh* :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah thats a really good answer, so lack of hair sort if indicates testosterone... (even if its nothing to do with actual hormones) That makes sense.

Im sorry I didn't mean to have a go or get preachy, I just got a bit annoyed earlier because some people started to turn the discussion into a personal attack.. *sigh* :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also could explain why hair is percieved as a sign of fertility?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No such thing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Also could explain why hair is percieved as a sign of fertility?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For women, I've answered that question already. Hair loss is primarily mediated by the presence of androgens (i.e. testosterone) in the body.

"30% of normal male testosterone level, the approximate level in females, is not enough to induce androgenic alopecia; 60%, closer to the amount found in elderly men, is sufficient."

Hormonal imbalance of that nature, as far as I'm aware, tends to have accompanying reduced fertility.

For men, the picture is more complicated. I'm not actually an expert on hair loss, but what I understand is that male baldness can be either due to high testosterone (combined with a genetic predisposition for that testosterone to affect scalp hair) - an attractive feature for women, and a sign of fertility - or can also be associated with metabolic sydrome and insulin resistance - obviously not an attractive feature. Also as with all sexually dimorphic characteristics there is a limit to what is attractive - e.g. muscles on a man are attractive, but typically not if taken to the point where the guy looks like one of those freaky bodybuilders.
(edited 9 years ago)
If she's hot. she's still hot..
Although I can't remember ever seeing one. I imagine it'd be a bit weird at first after all it is rare.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest