The Student Room Group

Escaping Long-Term Unemployment

I would welcome any comments from people who have been in a similar position/words of encouragement/suggestions.

I've posted here before and got trolling comments pointing out I took a useless degree. Please no comments like that. As I've said below I regret taking a degree but what is done is done.

Degree Success

I graduated with a First in Politics from a top 20 university and a reference describing me as “easily in the 10 ten students in the year group academically”. Had a brilliant time but by final year I felt I had outgrown the trappings of student life didn’t want a Masters and couldn’t afford one anyway.

Following that I did an internship for an MP which was useful for the CV but was a bit limited in terms of the responsibilities I was given.

So far so good? But after that I really struggled to get anything.

Signing On

After struggling to get anything for a number of months I swallowed my pride and signed on. My local job centre is in a pretty working class town. They said I spoke “posh” and it was clear that middle-class uni graduates were not their usual clientèle. I signed on next to someone with an obvious drug dependency and was threatened with a “sanction” of my benefits if I didn’t sign up to something called Universal Jobs Match.

I went from being a confident positive university graduate to someone whose self-esteem had been trampled on and the consequence was that my interview performance was being impaired as I was so desperate to sign off. Eventually I signed off realising that UKJCP were hindering rather than helping my job search.

Volunteering

To pick myself up I started volunteering with a local charity shop. The other volunteers my age are someone repeating their GCSE English and Maths and someone with moderate SEN on a Seetec welfare-to-work programme. Decent people but I can’t help but think ‘how on earth have I ended up here?’.

With a First from a Russell Group university and straight A grades at A-level/GCSE I stick out like a sore thumb. It was initially useful in terms of getting me back into a routine but I’ve been there too long and have needed to move on for some time. It is a world away from graduate level employment and frankly a bit of a dead end after a while.

I am particularly keen to move on given that their head office at Angel rejected me without even offering me an interview for a temp role.

Impact of unemployment

I know a sob story gets you nowhere but the impact of what has become long-term unemployment is not pretty in terms of loss of friendships and my own sense of self-worth. I’m frankly embarrassed about my situation and my social media pages have all been closed for the past six months so I don’t have to field embarrassing questions about what I’m currently up to.

It is pathetic but I miss going for a beer of a Friday night in London like I did when working in Parliament. Beyond the obvious financial consequences of not having a job it is also pretty isolating.

Interviews

I’ve had a few interviews for public affairs roles. I’ve been bombarding W4MP the jobs board for politics type roles but very little is coming back and I am starting to think maybe that is just too difficult to break into. “Lack of experience” is coming up again and again whether that is the real reason for rejection or just their way of fobbing me of. I was recently rejected for a minimum wage internship and this is having already done one internship before and gained a first!

More internships?

Being honest with myself the idea of being a perpetual intern isn’t that appealing and there is a part of me that would prefer the “stability” of some minimum wage retail job in Debenhams or Marks and Sparks as opposed to being a here-today-gone-tomorrow intern again worrying about where I’ll be in six months. There is something infantilising about internships after a certain age I want to finish learning to drive something impossible when you don’t know whether you will be earning 3 months down the line.

Perhaps I was just an arrogant graduate but there was a time when I would have considered minimum wage retail roles as not what I spent 20k on a degree for. Now I would be delighted with one seeing I’m essentially doing the same thing but for free at the moment.
I deeply regret getting my degree but you can’t turn back the clock. The “overqualified” tag is a problem I didn’t work during my degree so removing my degree leaves a three year CV gap something even worse in employer’s eyes than the degree itself.

Conclusion

In some sense this is a typical tale of student with perfect academic record who has had trouble adjusting to the real world. I was initially gob-smacked realising that a degree meant so little in the real world. :biggrin:

Inexperienced when applying to graduate level jobs. Overqualified when lowering my sights.

In any case long term unemployment covered up with travel and voluntary work makes all employers more risk averse.

The economy is starting to improve and excuses about the recession become less easy to maintain.

I feel like I'm hitting my head against a brick wall. :mad:

Scroll to see replies

I'm sorry to hear that :frown: :hugs: Do you mind if I ask what uni you went to?

Where have you applied for the sort of jobs that often require a degree, btw? Just Politics, or other areas too? Have you tried literally every grad scheme/firm that doesn't care so much what you've done so long as it's rigorous etc.? What were your extracurriculars like?
How long have you been unemployed for?

Are you picky about what career you want to go into as many grad schemes are opening now and I would definitely suggest applying to those! With an internship under your belt, you've got a very good chance of getting in.

I would also suggest reconsidering not applying for internships. Although there is the uncertainty of not knowing whether you will have a job at the end of it or not, its a great way of getting some paid experience and will only enhance your cv!
Have you thought about applying for jobs in big cities, I'm sure they can give you a relocation package. I know it's frustrating, I'd love to have a first and ended up with second.
In a supporting statement write about team work at university and how you plan and prioritise work. For politics jobs discuss about current affairs and your opinions, never give up hope,
Ask about shadowing local council, you could apply for office work, there's politics in offices.
Listen, right now is the most important time of the year - all the best jobs are opening up their applications - you need to be applying constantly to these jobs and graduate schemes NOW because it will get harder as the year progresses. Graduate schemes often look less for experience and more for ability and transferable skills.

I was in a similar position because I decided I did not believe in, and was not going to do a lengthy unpaid internship. However, I am finally starting a role in a great company where they value intelligence and aptitude over experience. You will find employment if you make sure your CV is good, you get good at interviews, and you get good at writing cover letters.

Apply for the jobs you want and display your passion, and you will eventually get hired. Don't just indiscriminately fire off applications.

You have an internship and you have a first class degree from a top 20 uni, as well as having done charity work - you are employable and you will get hired eventually as long as you can cope with the application process.
Original post by Arsenalforlifee
I'm sorry to hear that :hugs: Do you mind if I ask what uni you went to?

I suppose there is a danger of someone working out who I am on here but what the heck - I went to Nottingham. Brilliant three years.

Where have you applied for the sort of jobs that often require a degree, btw? Just Politics, or other areas too? Have you tried literally every grad scheme/firm that doesn't care so much what you've done so long as it's rigorous etc.?

I have largely focused on jobs requiring a degree/politics as I feel that with a first in politics and working for an MP that is where my CV would have the most luck. But I've come to the conclusion that it is just too hard to get into that kind of thing. There is only so long you can send CVs into the black hole.

I'm now applying anywhere largely retail as that is where my other experience is paid and voluntary. However, I can understand why it is rational for Primark not to employ a graduate who is an obvious flight risk.

I've tended to avoid the hoop-jumping graduate schemes. For instance Cancer Research's one doesn't close till Jan 2015 and you find out if you're on in May 2015. I need to be in work first to start going for things like that.

What were your extracurriculars like?

I was on my JCR running events for what is - according to Wikipedia - the biggest student hall in England in terms of student numbers - hall balls, trips, elections etc. Best thing I did at university as it was brilliant in terms of making friends and settling into university life. I've outgrown student politics but I look back on it all very fondly.
Original post by starburst92
How long have you been unemployed for?

9 months :-( 6 of them I’ve been volunteering for which is important as you are perceived as a “worker” by some and perceptions are everything in a job search. Before that I went travelling. My internship with the MP was straight out of uni a couple of years ago now.

Original post by starburst92

Are you picky about what career you want to go into as many grad schemes are opening now and I would definitely suggest applying to those! With an internship under your belt, you've got a very good chance of getting in.

I would also suggest reconsidering not applying for internships. Although there is the uncertainty of not knowing whether you will have a job at the end of it or not, its a great way of getting some paid experience and will only enhance your cv!

I am not picky any kind of generalist graduatescheme would be brilliant. I realise now as graduate schemes open is animportant time and I’ll be firing off lots but I feel I’d stand a better chancegetting into paid employment first and using that as a stepping stone. I feelat a couple of interviews I haven’t been taken particularly seriously due to not having ajob currently. Ever heard the phrase - it is easier to get a job when you have one....

I am still applying for internships as of course they are a potential stepping stone to a real job and it is an improvement upon where I am at the moment. My point was just if I had the choice between 3 months in an MPs office again and a full time job in Argos I would take Argos. My key desire at the moment is some stability. Obviously long-term some chance of advancement would be nice.
Original post by jpowis123
Have you thought about applying for jobs in big cities, I'm sure they can give you a relocation package. I know it's frustrating, I'd love to have a first and ended up with second.
In a supporting statement write about team work at university and how you plan and prioritise work. For politics jobs discuss about current affairs and your opinions, never give up hope,
Ask about shadowing local council, you could apply for office work, there's politics in offices.

I live in Home Counties suburbia so London is pretty much the only job search area. My town in Essex has been hit very hard by the recession there is not much work around so basically commuting is the only option and actually what I want. I miss the ‘buzz’ of London. The cost of a year railcard from where I am is £2620 and £3748 if you want z1-6 as well so it works if I can get on a decent £20k-22k graduate scheme. For minimum wage travel costs would eat into so much of my salary I’d be better of trying to find something close.
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
Listen, right now is the most important time of the year - all the best jobs are opening up their applications - you need to be applying constantly to these jobs and graduate schemes NOW because it will get harder as the year progresses. Graduate schemes often look less for experience and more for ability and transferable skills.

I was in a similar position because I decided I did not believe in, and was not going to do a lengthy unpaid internship. However, I am finally starting a role in a great company where they value intelligence and aptitude over experience. You will find employment if you make sure your CV is good, you get good at interviews, and you get good at writing cover letters.

Apply for the jobs you want and display your passion, and you will eventually get hired. Don't just indiscriminately fire off applications.

Yep the next few months as grad schemes open is very important. It would mean a lot to me to be able to go out at Xmas and buy something for myself.
I have been applying for jobs I don’t have that much passion for and maybe that is coming across.
Re unpaid internships - Doing an unpaid internship would almost feel like an admission that my labour doesn’t have any value. I’d rather paid work even if the unpaid internship had some benefit long-term and that is impossible to predict anyway.

Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
You have an internship and you have a first class degree from a top 20 uni, as well as having done charity work - you are employable and you will get hired eventually as long as you can cope with the application process.

Thank you. I don’t feel unemployable. I’m clearly in a better position than many.
Welcome to the real world, if you can't get a job you need experience if you don't have experience you need a job
I know how you feel (kind of) I didn't go uni after a levels since I was sick of education and wasn't sure what to do, I didn't want to sign on, I was determined not to, but eventually my parents convinced me I had to. I totally understand what you mean about losing confidence, I can't talk to anyone about it without feeling an incredibly deep sense of shame. I'm not usually an emotional person but any mention of the job center makes me defensive and very easy to upset. I can't stand the thought of anyone I know seeing me go in there :'( It's so depressing.

I've been going for 9 months and arranged my own work placement while on it for 7 weeks which has given me something to add to my cv. Hoping to go uni next year now, just need something until then. Have you looked at civil service apprenticeships, they pay well but I'm not sure if you'd be overqualified?

Not really sure what advice to offer, but figured I'd let you know you're not alone! :smile:
Reply 11
Have you considered TEFL? With a good degree you would probably be snapped up by plenty of schools and it would get you back on your feet for a year or two. Alternatively, teaching is an option.

I realised just prior to the start of my third year that, not having worked during my degree either, I was verging on unemployable, despite having done things like a semester abroad and averaging a 2.1. This was annoying because employers no longer seem to understand or believe that working for your degree on a 9 to 5 basis - which is what I did - was actually the equivalent of work where you dedicate yourself to projects, research and teamwork in this sense. Accepting the reality of it, this is why I ended up doing the CELTA, which allowed me to springboard into a job straight out of university teaching English. It's opened up a lot of doors for me and allowed me to establish my own business, become a writer and most recently allowed me to change careers and gain entry onto a course that is fully funded and will hopefully enable me to build on the skills I've learned and do what I've become most interested in.

That is an option.

I think you do need to do a bit of self-reflection though. You say you'd outgrown student life but you shunned the opportunity to do a Masters at a point where you clearly coveted a political career of some kind. Doing an internship with an MP didn't inspire you on any level? To maybe get involved in local politics or do some research based on that? That's the kind of volunteering that would have really helped your CV and doing work in a charity shop probably wasn't appropriate for you. You could have been getting involved in all kinds of activities that a website like Do-It.org would have directed you to.

You seem directionless and completely uninspired and there has been plenty of time for you to get involved in activities but you haven't. I understand that becoming demoralised by the experience of being long-term unemployed will have been a factor but there is help that you could have sought for this. Withdrawing from your social network has possibly blinded you to the fact that many of your friends have probably been filling their lives with interesting things - probably unpaid too - and that's something you've not been doing.

You're right. Excuses about the economy are less easy to maintain because they are that: excuses. I do sympathise but blaming anyone but yourself for your current situation and looking down on people who you see as inferior will not help. Look at those people with poor educational records and SEN that you volunteered with. They were getting on with their lives using the limited skills and qualities life and education had equipped them with and taking advantage of the few opportunities that life would afford them. Why were you in a charity shop? Why not volunteering as a researcher or a canvasser and using the skills and knowledge you've been equipped with?

You have a lot of potential but if it's not being stretched that's because you're not letting it. There are opportunities out there. You've just not been looking for them. Get some direction and some goals and start working towards them. It'll be hard but nothing worth doing is easy.
Original post by cheese0110
I can't stand the thought of anyone I know seeing me go in there :'( It's so depressing.

I think it one of those things you can only understand having experienced it first hand.
Original post by giella
Alternatively, teaching is an option.

I believe I would get a 9k grant thanks to Gove due to my first. I’m wary because there is no guarantee there is an over-supply of PGCE students relative to NQT positions at least for the NC subject I would want. Politics not being a NC subject. I’d be more interested in something like School Direct/Teach First rather than a return to the lecture theatre. I’d need to get some experience in schools fist. Engaging in some of that self-reflection for a moment though having spent my life on an education conveyor belt something outside of education is desirable.

Original post by giella

I realised just prior to the start of my third year that, not having worked during my degree either, I was verging on unemployable.

I worked two years between A-levels and starting my degree so it is not as though the world of work is some foreign planet to me. My point was having not worked while at uni I can't remove my degree from the CV

Original post by giella

Doing an internship with an MP didn't inspire you on any level?

No but It confirmed my interest in a career in public affairs more generally though so it was indirectly useful. I would be brilliant in some in house public affairs role in a charity somewhere. I've just come to the conclusion that might be too difficult to break into - when you are getting turned down for minimum wage internships you have to start thinking about doing something else eventually

Original post by giella
You seem directionless and completely uninspired

Ouch. That is what happens after a while - the job search net widens and it all gets a bit scattergun.

Original post by giella
but there is help that you could have sought for this.

Medically? I don't want to discuss my medical history on a public forum even if semi anonymous. I'm a bit ground down by the job search but otherwise fit to work physically and mentally.

Original post by giella
Withdrawing from your social network has possibly blinded you to the fact that many of your friends have probably been filling their lives with interesting things - probably unpaid too - and that's something you've not been doing.

I would prefer paid work even in a non-graduate role. There is no guarantee than unpaid work - internships would lead to a paid role. Perhaps this is the wrong attitude in terms of long-term career goals but short term I'd like to be able to buy stuff.

Original post by giella
looking down on people who you see as inferior will not help.
I never said that. I don’t consider anyone “inferior” certainly not someone wishing to better themselves.

Original post by giella
but blaming anyone but yourself...

I never said that either. Clearly graduating into the worst recession since WWII into an economy with 2.5m competing for 0.5m jobs wasn’t ideal but I’ve made mistakes. I’ve come out of interviews thinking “I could have answered that differently”, I shouldn’t have been so dismissive of unpaid internships. I even consider gaining my degree a mistake given the oversupply of graduates.

Original post by giella
Why were you in a charity shop?

It helped me get back into a routine and got me my confidence back. Yeah maybe I should have chosen some unpaid internship instead. You can't live life over again. I am where I am.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
You have strong academics, what sounds like decent internship experience and can present yourself well on paper based on this thread.

Unless you act like a troll in interviews, I'm perplexed why you are struggling so much to find a position. I suspect it's because you are narrowing down your applications to highly competitive roles in politics, the majority of which undoubtedly go to friends/relations.

Widen your search to include some more general graduate schemes and you may have much more luck. I certainly don't think you should move your search from politics roles to M&S retail work!
I can relate to what you're saying - I'm also a Politics graduate from an RG university. And like you, I severely regret my choice of degree though not just for lack of employability. I have been stunned at the absurd extent to which the policy sector is competitive, it's up there with the likes of journalism and law. Following my last application I was informed that they received over 300 applicants - 300 applicants for a £20k starting job that had none of the features of the usual highly competitive jobs. It's common to see 100+ applicants on Reed and so on, but over 300? Absolutely absurd - I know that such a number would include people with a Masters or lengthy periods of internships, pep talks about 10 neat CV tricks aren't going to override that.

And this is all very well, but like you I have reservations over whether or not going down the internship route would actually be a good idea. I completed a three month internship myself and have reservations over whether or not it was worth it, I could go in some depth on this topic but I'll cut it short by saying I think you have to have a very clear cut path ahead of you to avoid spinning your wheels.

All in all, I agree with you that your best bet is to secure gainful, stable employment and take it from there. If that means grinding away and applying over a long period of time then so be it.

I'd also be very wary of thinking that the Masters route will get you out of this rut.
Reply 16
If someone told me I was directionless and uninspired I would just laugh because I know they couldn't be basing it off what they see of me. I've had a very clear direction for a long time. You say ouch though. I think the truth hurts. You are spinning and you need to pick a direction and just aim yourself in it. Think of a job or an area of work you want to head in and work out what the steps are to getting there. That's what CV building is about.

You need an income - find a job that will give you this. If it's one for which you're overqualified and doesn't necessarily use your graduate skills, fair enough. It'll maybe have other benefits to it. I did a stint at the royal mail once that was great because I started at 6 and finished at 2. Gave me a fairly good income and allowed me time in the afternoons and evenings to do volunteering and socialising. I also worked at a care home for a while on the night shift and I learned a huge amount there about the practical application of things I'm interested in, particularly mental health. Because of the flexibility I could get all my hours out of the way in two days of the week and had the opportunity to start building my business around it and doing volunteering around it. Didn't take much to get either one of those jobs but they gave me freedom and time, which I needed.

You need some practical experience in the area related to that which you want to go into. Do-it.org is a great website with thousands of volunteering opportunities available. Getting involved with the BRC is also a good idea as their volunteer training programmes are incredibly diverse. CAB is also a great place to start volunteering as well, particularly if you are interested in working in the public sector in some way. This is why I question you working in a charity shop. Doing retail equips you for just about one thing: retail. It was pretty much a waste of your time CV building wise when you could have been using that time for something that would have given you something significant to add to your CV.

You need to take some time to enjoy yourself and get a social network back. Get involved in a sports centre or anything. Take up a hobby. Anything. The expression get a life is harsh yes, but it's something you need to do if you're going to be happy.

I wasn't specifically referring to getting medical help. There are support groups and phone numbers you could have been calling that would have allowed you to reconnect with people and boost your confidence and prevent you becoming so demoralised. Often they can provide practical skills training as well.

With direction you can start filling in these blanks and achieving some goals. You lack that clearly, otherwise you would have done it some time ago.

Re: getting into teaching, put teach first out of your head for a while. The way you are right now, you wouldn't get through the application process most likely but it is something you can build towards if you're interested in it.

Your attitude is one of woe is me, I deserve better than this. A generalisation but one I've personally had to confront in several people I care about greatly. Yes, the economy was rubbish but there was always an option of work out there. I know someone who lost a graduate job in January '09, spent only 2 weeks on the dole and started scraping. He did home fundraising jobs, spent a couple of weeks trying to flog Sky television on commission only, got a job in sales, slogged that out while he built himself up again, got a job with a bank off the back of it and worked steadily at it for three years. He's now been accepted onto one of the top rated graduate schemes in the country. He accepted what his capabilities were, shouldered responsibility and got on with it. Yes, the economy was rubbish. He was willing to do anything to keep working and keep his CV in good order. He would complain he wasn't being stretched at his job and at times his job would be crippling to his esteem, but he kept going. That resilience has paid off.

Look at what your competition is doing. If they're doing it, you need to do that or better. If someone has an advantage over you, find a way to close it. Just get on with it.
I know you said you're sick of education but if you are not entirely sick then some good uni options that give high prospects, almost guaranteed, of good jobs are accelerated or normal medicine, nursing, social work, psychology conversion, or teaching as someone else said, particularly primary. Some have all fees paid for them too e.g. by the NHS or LEAs and give you training bursaries i.e. wages.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SignOnSimon
I have been stunned at the absurd extent to which the policy sector is competitive, it's up there with the likes of journalism and law.

It is very competitive isn't it. On one hand my first and internship do not seem enough. Yet some of my peers have made it into "politics" broadly defined - Fast Steam, NGDP, public affairs, consultancies etc - so it can be done. I'm certainly going to give the NGDP another go when it opens soon.

I'd also be very wary of thinking that the Masters route will get you out of this rut.
A Masters is more debt and only risks being more "overqualified" for some roles. It makes no sense to me at all. According to my personal tutor I achieved "a first with ease" and yeah I was good at passing exams but I was sick of it by the end. The idea of paying £5,000 to write more essays seems to be to be utter madness!
Reply 19
I can relate to what you're saying - I'm also a Politics graduate from an RG university. And like you, I severely regret my choice of degree though not just for lack of employability. I have been stunned at the absurd extent to which the policy sector is competitive, it's up there with the likes of journalism and law. Following my last application I was informed that they received over 300 applicants - 300 applicants for a £20k starting job that had none of the features of the usual highly competitive jobs. It's common to see 100+ applicants on Reed and so on, but over 300? Absolutely absurd - I know that such a number would include people with a Masters or lengthy periods of internships, pep talks about 10 neat CV tricks aren't going to override that.

And this is all very well, but like you I have reservations over whether or not going down the internship route would actually be a good idea. I completed a three month internship myself and have reservations over whether or not it was worth it, I could go in some depth on this topic but I'll cut it short by saying I think you have to have a very clear cut path ahead of you to avoid spinning your wheels.

All in all, I agree with you that your best bet is to secure gainful, stable employment and take it from there. If that means grinding away and applying over a long period of time then so be it.

The civil service is more like 30:1, but given people will be applying for around six different organisations, its more like 5:1.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending