The Student Room Group

ELAT

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phoebus Apollo
Hi I did the Cat and I thought it went awful :frown: there's a thread for CAT here but I'm the only one who's written on it so far : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3698781

thank you!
Could I remind everyone not to share any specific information about the exams until 5pm on the 5th November. I have already had to remove several posts with a worrying amount of information in them so please be careful about what you're writing. Thank you.

Generic comments like "I found that exam difficult" are fine, anything whatsoever that refers to specific questions is not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Could I remind everyone not to share any specific information about the exams until 5pm on the 5th November. I have already had to remove several posts with a worrying amount of information in them so please be careful about what you're writing. Thank you.

Generic comments like "I found that exam difficult" are fine, anything whatsoever that refers to specific questions is not.

I'm so sorry, I didn't know ! No worries though :smile:
I didn't find it difficult but ran out of time :frown:, I had such a good plan as well 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
Can someone quickly tell me how many words the written essay must be? Is it 2000 or 1500?
For the one you submit they say under 2000 words.
i found the ELAT pretty challenging, didn't find many places to use critical terminology, have no idea how important that is though
I have felt much the same, and the link that was posted earlier with vocabulary was helpful, but freaked me out as I've not heard most of them before! What do you consider critical terminology?

Original post by ethan_17
i found the ELAT pretty challenging, didn't find many places to use critical terminology, have no idea how important that is though
How much did everyone write? I felt like I didn't write enough and my structure was terrible :frown:
Original post by tamara98
I'm so sorry, I didn't know ! No worries though :smile:

Hey! I know we can't say specifics until tomorrow, but how'd it go? Good, bad, great? I am currently messaging from my phone at the moment on the train home, so my replies may be sparse. ;-)
Original post by wonderland16
How much did everyone write? I felt like I didn't write enough and my structure was terrible :frown:

Three pages and a 5-6 rubbish conclusion as I literally had a minute. My structure was an introduction and three big paragraphs "first,second,third" nothing crazy.
I used the first and last extracts (being as vague as possible) and I wrote about 7 pages in an hour, but my writing is pretty big so that's probably the same as 4 pages for normal hand writing. I found timing okay, made a decent plan, intro and conclusion and managed to include all aspects of form/structure/syntax/Lang I could manage, but my main regret is that I feel I chose the two easiest texts! My analysis felt too simple, I don't think I went deep enough. I feel like I just made observations that were on the surface. But other than that I'm quite pleased :smile: only time will tell now.

For someone who asked me which college in Durham I applied to, I made the open application for Durham as well I think (I literally made hardly any research into any of the unis I applied to bar Oxford - if i don't get into Oxford I'm probably going to apply to medicine next year!)
Reply 192
I used extract b and c, and I think I wrote 4-5 pages? I kind of felt my analysis was simple too, and wasn't sure if I had developed an argument... I probably neglected structure and form too, lmao. Hope everyone is feeling good after it!!
Original post by piano8myhomework
I used the first and last extracts (being as vague as possible) and I wrote about 7 pages in an hour, but my writing is pretty big so that's probably the same as 4 pages for normal hand writing. I found timing okay, made a decent plan, intro and conclusion and managed to include all aspects of form/structure/syntax/Lang I could manage, but my main regret is that I feel I chose the two easiest texts! My analysis felt too simple, I don't think I went deep enough. I feel like I just made observations that were on the surface. But other than that I'm quite pleased :smile: only time will tell now.

For someone who asked me which college in Durham I applied to, I made the open application for Durham as well I think (I literally made hardly any research into any of the unis I applied to bar Oxford - if i don't get into Oxford I'm probably going to apply to medicine next year!)

Easiest texts ? I wanted to pick the first text but I found the vocabulary too dense ! :biggrin:
I have no idea how people managed with the last text, it didn't speak to me at all.
Also, how come you're applying for English literature and planning to study Medicine as well ? That's odd !

Original post by ¿Why?
I used extract b and c, and I think I wrote 4-5 pages? I kind of felt my analysis was simple too, and wasn't sure if I had developed an argument... I probably neglected structure and form too, lmao. Hope everyone is feeling good after it!!

I picked these two texts as well and mentioned text F in my third paragraph. I really enjoyed extract B !
Original post by piano8myhomework
I used the first and last extracts (being as vague as possible) and I wrote about 7 pages in an hour, but my writing is pretty big so that's probably the same as 4 pages for normal hand writing. I found timing okay, made a decent plan, intro and conclusion and managed to include all aspects of form/structure/syntax/Lang I could manage, but my main regret is that I feel I chose the two easiest texts! My analysis felt too simple, I don't think I went deep enough. I feel like I just made observations that were on the surface. But other than that I'm quite pleased :smile: only time will tell now.For someone who asked me which college in Durham I applied to, I made the open application for Durham as well I think (I literally made hardly any research into any of the unis I applied to bar Oxford - if i don't get into Oxford I'm probably going to apply to medicine next year!)
I compared those to extracts too! I felt that really planning out my response really helped, and I understand what you meant about how these two texts felt quite simple, but I think the fact that these two texts were so contrasting in terms of structure and language meant that it wasn't the simplest choice to make. I felt like it was a lot easier to go into really specific language analysis in the first extract though. But I think it went alright, my only concern is that it wasn't as sophisticated as some of the other peoples writing is, as I was used to having a really strict style of writing essays however only recently have I learnt to expand and have a freer way of writing my essays.
Reply 195
Easiest texts ? I wanted to pick the first text but I found the vocabulary too dense ! :biggrin:
I have no idea how people managed with the last text, it didn't speak to me at all.
Also, how come you're applying for English literature and planning to study Medicine as well ? That's odd !

I picked these two texts as well and mentioned text F in my third paragraph. I really enjoyed extract B !

B was my favourite!! C took me a little while to get into the swing of things - I just hope I did them both justice 😧 I just didn't want to fall into the trap of having so much to say that none of it is detailed or relevant 😞
Original post by ¿Why?
B was my favourite!! C took me a little while to get into the swing of things - I just hope I did them both justice 😧 I just didn't want to fall into the trap of having so much to say that none of it is detailed or relevant 😞

I talked way more about text B as text C was easier to summarise. Hopefully we all did well.
Reply 197
I talked way more about text B as text C was easier to summarise. Hopefully we all did well.

Yes, let's hope so!!! Best of luck to everyone 😊
Such a long wait now :frown:
Reply 199
Did they give you time updates in your testing room?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending