The Student Room Group

ELAT

Scroll to see replies

Fellow English applicants, greetings!

I'm totes stressing out too, BUT I don't think it's very likely we'll hear anything until Thursday or Friday (Friday being the deadline they have to respond by)

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything, but sit tight guys! It's gonna be fine :smile:
Original post by RebeccaTheWhovia
WAITING IS SERIOUSLY STRESSING ME OUT! I felt that the ELAT went well (only analysed A and B, though), but this has been such a stressful application!

My scanner broke as I was scanning my written work, no one that I know had a scanner, and had to submit a sub-par scanned version minutes before the deadline.

Then, I had an email about a week later to say that they didn't have all of my information...so I panicked. Sent it to them again, turned out they didn't have my disability form for my accommodation, despite the fact that I had sent it to the disability person as requested!

The icing on the cake was getting a new phone, not knowing how to completely lock it, and then leaving it on the side where my younger cousin sent a string of random letters and emoticons to the Christ Church admissions office.

This has just been an absolute nightmare!

My goodness, my full sympathies to you! ... That is quite some icing .. :redface:
Right, I just got home from college and someone from Oxford left a message on the house answerphone about "English interiew preparation" and "having a quick chat"- BUT I have had no word of this or an interview via email... Anyone else had this call (and thinks that it's a strange ploy by which to psych us out even further)? :wink:
Original post by ArtyQuell
Right, I just got home from college and someone from Oxford left a message on the house answerphone about "English interiew preparation" and "having a quick chat"- BUT I have had no word of this or an interview via email... Anyone else had this call (and thinks that it's a strange ploy by which to psych us out even further)? :wink:

Wait what no I've never heard of anything like this oh god I'm terrified now

Are you sure it was someone from Oxford itself and they weren't calling from 'Oxbridge Applications' or similar trying to sell you one of their interview prep courses?
Original post by Disco2000
Are you sure it was someone from Oxford itself and they weren't calling from 'Oxbridge Applications' or similar trying to sell you one of their interview prep courses?

Good point, I'll go and re-listen now. :smile:

Thanks for pointing that out! It was them ... damn that got my hackles up; I thought that the actual uni had mixed up my application! :P
Thanks for pointing that out! It was them ... damn that got my hackles up; I thought that the actual uni had mixed up my application! :P

You nearly made me pee myself.

I hope you're happy.
does anyone think that rejections will be sent out before invitations? or am I just being paranoid?
Reply 389

Good point, I'll go and re-listen now. :smile:

Yeah, I was surprised too to hear about the mysterious message - but of course it would be those bozos at Oxbridge Applications sticking their oar in once again. They've been clogging up my E-Mail inbox - as used bog roll might stopper a bus station toilet bowl - with their little sales patter, and frankly, I've been wishing they'd get the message and leave me alone!

No, 'thanks for the offer', but I'm not going to be paying a whopping £695 for a motley set of 4 Skype sessions with your contacts, and I don't care how good they are! Nor whatever fee they had in mind for the ELAT Preparatory Day proposed earlier, either.

I actually don't mind the Oxbridge application process itself, but what I really can't stand is these degenerate parasitical companies, Oxbridge Applications foremost amongst them, raking it in by clutching onto the process like a mouldering barnacle on a great galleon... haha. I'll just take my chances and see how it goes, if it goes at all - since of course, I'm Eng. Lit. too, and a little relieved that none of you have gotten notice on interviews (no offence meant if it's taken, the real best of luck to you all on everything): this means I'm not denied just yet. :3
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ethan_17
does anyone think that rejections will be sent out before invitations? or am I just being paranoid?

Logically I think that's incredibly unlikely, both to execute and to even conceive of if they were attempting to be even remotely fair :smile:
Original post by Shotte
Yeah, I was surprised too to hear about the mysterious message - but of course it would be those bozos at Oxbridge Applications sticking their oar in once again. They've been clogging up my E-Mail inbox - as used bog roll might stopper a bus station toilet bowl - with their little sales patter, and frankly, I've been wishing they'd get the message and leave me alone!

No, 'thanks for the offer', but I'm not going to be paying a whopping £695 for a motley set of 4 Skype sessions with your contacts, and I don't care how good they are! Nor whatever fee they had in mind for the ELAT Preparatory Day proposed earlier, either.

I actually don't mind the Oxbridge application process itself, but what I really can't stand is these degenerate parasitical companies, Oxbridge Applications foremost amongst them, raking it in by clutching onto the process like a mouldering barnacle on a great galleon... haha. I'll just take my chances and see how it goes, if it goes at all - since of course, I'm Eng. Lit. too, and a little relieved that none of you have gotten notice on interviews (no offence meant if it's taken, the real best of luck to you all on everything): this means I'm not denied just yet. :3

Your descriptive imagery is wonderful, I sincerely hope to meet you at interview :biggrin: which college have you applied to?
Reply 392
Original post by ethan_17

Original post by jonwithnoname
Logically I think that's incredibly unlikely, both to execute and to even conceive of if they were attempting to be even remotely fair :smile:

Yeah, I'd back Jon-tradiction up on that count. If anything, I do believe the invitations would be sent out before the rejections, not the other way around. Please don't use my little supposition as a reason to get worried if people start getting interview news and you haven't just yet, though!
You nearly made me pee myself.

I hope you're happy.

I sincerely apologise for that; stress is the last thing any of us want at the moment. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Your descriptive imagery is wonderful, I sincerely hope to meet you at interview :biggrin: which college have you applied to?

hahaha so jokes I agree pls be brasenose no6!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 395

Haha, thanks buddy! I have to admit that - as if it wasn't obvious enough - they've really riled me up to the point where my usual calm's gone, in favour of breaking out the rude description with both barrels!

Anyways, I applied to Mansfield. I've been around there on a few occasions, for a study day in February and over the course of the UNIQ Summer School. To me, it's just an absolutely lovely place - and it's basically the underdog of Oxford. Everyone loves an underdog - except when said underdog may well kick you to the curb! :wink:

I'm new on the forums but it'd be cool to bump into some of you guys at the interviews if we make them, for sure!
Original post by Shotte
Haha, thanks buddy! I have to admit that - as if it wasn't obvious enough - they've really riled me up to the point where my usual calm's gone, in favour of breaking out the rude description with both barrels!

Anyways, I applied to Mansfield. I've been around there on a few occasions, for a study day in February and over the course of the UNIQ Summer School. To me, it's just an absolutely lovely place - and it's basically the underdog of Oxford. Everyone loves an underdog - except when said underdog may well kick you to the curb! :wink:

I'm new on the forums but it'd be cool to bump into some of you guys at the interviews if we make them, for sure!

I've spent some time in Mansfield - last time I applied to Oxford, they were the college I was reallocated to for interview, it's lovely there :smile:

Keep calm and carry on, soldier - we shouldn't be hearing anything for a couple of days I don't think :')
Reply 397
I've spent some time in Mansfield - last time I applied to Oxford, they were the college I was reallocated to for interview, it's lovely there :smile:

Keep calm and carry on, soldier - we shouldn't be hearing anything for a couple of days I don't think :':wink:

Stay calm? Believe me, I'm going to try!

I mean, even if I get turned down - that's fair enough, I would describe myself as a bit of a patchy prospect being brutally honest. The only thing is, all this trepidation is putting me off my English and History courseworks!

You've applied before, Jon? I don't want to be presumptuous, but did you take a gap year and give it another shot? Because if so, that is dedication. If you made it to interview the first time around you've assuredly got it now. They'd be mad to turn you down, sir! c:<
Original post by Shotte

I mean, even if I get turned down - that's fair enough, I would describe myself as a bit of a patchy prospect being brutally honest. The only thing is, all this trepidation is putting me off my English and History courseworks!

sorry but do you mind me asking why you think you're a 'patchy prospect'??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 399
[QUOTE="hannahrfw;60836723"]
Original post by Shotte

sorry but do you mind me asking why you think you're a 'patchy prospect'??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a problem.

In truth, the big knock to me came in form of AS-Level results I would describe as 'pretty disappointing'. I picked my AS-Levels pretty badly, pretty arrogantly. I got totally sucked in to the idea my Dad and I made an unspoken agreement on - that "Oh yeah, can't do that, that's not a prestigious subject.".

I ended up with Eng. Lit., European History, Mathematics and Economics. It turned as a pretty eye-watering amount of work to get done, especially considering a lot of tribulations I had involving my History tutor and the fact that I far, far overestimated my mathematical capabilities.

What I really didn't count on was the fact I was letting my Economics suffer in the midst of all this, I made some really critical failures on the exam - missing out a key phrase such as 'This leads to a cost elasticity expansion' can cost you 4 marks+ in some of the worst cases, and I kept doing that.

Obligatory TL;DR: I finished AS year with ABB and a grade in Economics too poor to speak of - other than the fact it fits in with the subject title nicely!

I can only hope that Oxford think of me as an odd, er, I mean 'interesting' prospect! The rest of me is on par I suppose, and I do at least have a few things going for me that kind of transcend the AS/A-Level program, at least... EPQ, other research interests, the UNIQ.

But there's so much competition already, and I'll freely admit that it'd be a bit madcap - maybe even unfair - to spare an interview for the oddbod amidst the burgeoning crowd of top achievers... who in all likelihood, also have a lot of the beyond A-Level things to their name as well.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending