The Student Room Group

ELAT

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrasenoseLitGeek
Jesus are very fun. You'll have a blast! :biggrin:

You know its about quality right?

I had read about 3 books and some poetry outside of A level: I just spoke about it all passionately.

Brilliant, I'm very excited now. :biggrin: Do you know how many people are interviewed per place at each college for English? I'd love just a general idea of the competitiveness.
Original post by simbasdragon
Brilliant, I'm very excited now. :biggrin: Do you know how many people are interviewed per place at each college for English? I'd love just a general idea of the competitiveness.

It's really variable, but it was something like 8:1 at my college the year I applied. Some colleges have more interviewees per place, some have less. Try not to think too much about it though!

Obviously you have to consider that pooling evens the whole average out.

Last year 1100 people applied to read English. Approximately 670 were invited to interview.

Around 230 accepted an offer.

Around 200-220 would have then made the grades.

That's an overall chance of 1:5 (ish)

At the interview stage it's obviously better.

Most colleges interview around three times the number of places.

So assume a 1 in 3 chance.

Obviously this is only based on the numerical evidence I have from past interviews.

Does that help?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by *pitseleh*
It's really variable, but it was something like 8:1 at my college the year I applied. Some colleges have more interviewees per place, some have less. Try not to think too much about it though!

Was this for English??

Edit: I've had a think and I know why (probably). Corpus, for example, will interview for other colleges despite its tiny allocation. This had the adverse effect of making the interview appear more competitive than it is.

It's a mechanism to allow everyone to get their two interviews.

That's a really interesting point overall. I'd never considered the implications of distributing the candidate pool like that!

Thanks Pitseleh!
(edited 8 years ago)

And I'm glad you're pumped about it!

That's the way you should be :biggrin:

Nervous. But excited.
Original post by BrasenoseLitGeek
Was this for English??

Edit: I've had a think and I know why (probably). Corpus, for example, will interview for other colleges despite its tiny allocation. This had the adverse effect of making the interview appear more competitive than it is.

It's a mechanism to allow everyone to get their two interviews.

That's a really interesting point overall. I'd never considered the implications of distributing the candidate pool like that!

Thanks Pitseleh!

Yep, it was for English. :smile: There were only 3 places at my college, so even a reasonable-sounding number of interviewees (25 or so) still made for a high applicants-to-places ratio.
Original post by z1ggystardust
I'm waiting for Wadham too - do you think we'll hear tonight?

Original post by maella
I hope so! I feel like i'm wasting time atm because I can't commit to revising for an interview I may not have, but if I do get one I could have spent longer revising :frown:

Have you guys heard anything from yet? Today's got to be the day surely
Reply 687
I've still heard nothing from Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AMS123
I've still heard nothing from Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile

same here :/
Original post by ethan_17
same here :/

you might want to try emailing them
Original post by Ulysses98
you might want to try emailing them

I just called them and they said that all successful and unsuccessful applicants were emailed last week, but i haven't received any email or mail
Reply 691
That's so odd! I definitely haven't had anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just called them and they said that all successful and unsuccessful applicants were emailed last week, but i haven't received any email or mail

maybe in your junk folder?
Reply 693
Anyone heard from Wadham yet?
Original post by Ulysses98
maybe in your junk folder?

yeah they told me to check that too, i've been checking everything, nothing there
yeah they told me to check that too, i've been checking everything, nothing there

Can't they just tell you on the phone then? So weird
Original post by judithc
Anyone heard from Wadham yet?

No 😩, should we email them?
Original post by studdybuddy101
Can't they just tell you on the phone then? So weird

the woman said that there's only so much that they're allowed to say on the phone. I agree, it's very weird
Reply 698
I emailed and apparently successful candidates were emailed last week, unsuccessful ones will be getting a letter in the post.....👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AMS123
I emailed and apparently successful candidates were emailed last week, unsuccessful ones will be getting a letter in the post.....👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking......maybe we've been reallocated?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending