The Student Room Group

ELAT

Scroll to see replies

43, A*AB, rejection from Somerville
Original post by mythofsisyphus
45 with an offer at St Hugh's. I feel like someone has made a horrible mistake.

I got 40 and an offer from Mansfield, but I got mitigating circumstances for my ELAT and my A level grades already exceed the entry requirements :')
I see- if you don't mind sharing, what are your a level grades?
44, rejection from exeter :/
Original post by Ulysses98
I see- if you don't mind sharing, what are your a level grades?

A*AA (also an A in General Studies) with an A at AS, and 7A* 4A at GCSE :smile:
Original post by jonwithnoname
A*AA (also an A in General Studies) with an A at AS, and 7A* 4A at GCSE :smile:

I have 3A* at a levels 😁 but still rejected
46, rejection from Somerville :frown: at least i understand why now!!
I have 3A* at a levels 😁 but still rejected

Jesus :redface: how good did you feel your written work/interview(s) were?
53, and a rejection :/ I think that goes to show that the interview is really the make or break moment, as I was so nervous and screwed them up a little bit haha
Original post by jonwithnoname
Jesus :redface: how good did you feel your written work/interview(s) were?

Interviews were horrid, written work was pretty okay. But it's all over now- all the best of luck to you Jon, I'm glad such a kind and helpful person got in. Will you send us some Oxford news when you are there perhaps?
Original post by Ashbash5
53, and a rejection :/ I think that goes to show that the interview is really the make or break moment, as I was so nervous and screwed them up a little bit haha

How were your a levels?
So confused as to what Oxford want. Imagine working hard for this your whole life (not me but anyone in general) and then being rejected on a basis that other candidates were better. This may seem fair if they had better grades, ELAT scores, written work, etc but if they don't...how can it just come down to the interview? Many intelligent people aren't able to articulate themselves or what they mean very well or have anxiety and don't make it through. Yet equally, interviewing someone with below average grades gives false hope and they may not get through despite a good interview. Many of my friends have felt a bit let down as they applied with flawless grades, working hard their entire life yet are not "Oxford material". Interesting.
Original post by AngelicAmazing
So confused as to what Oxford want. Imagine working hard for this your whole life (not me but anyone in general) and then being rejected on a basis that other candidates were better. This may seem fair if they had better grades, ELAT scores, written work, etc but if they don't...how can it just come down to the interview? Many intelligent people aren't able to articulate themselves or what they mean very well or have anxiety and don't make it through. Yet equally, interviewing someone with below average grades gives false hope and they may not get through despite a good interview. Many of my friends have felt a bit let down as they applied with flawless grades, working hard their entire life yet are not "Oxford material". Interesting.

How did you do?
How did you do?

I got rejected but I'm not too fussed tbh, my grades and stuff are a bit average (43 on ELAT with 0 practice and A*AB predictions) but my friends who are very clever got rejected and it just doesn't look good
I got rejected but I'm not too fussed tbh, my grades and stuff are a bit average (43 on ELAT with 0 practice and A*AB predictions) but my friends who are very clever got rejected and it just doesn't look good

I guess they are just looking for something more than technical knowledge and hard work- I got rejected too with 3A* and 51 :frown: oh well
How were your a levels?

I am redoing one of them because I got AAB, but I did have extenuating circumstances so it shouldn't have been too much of a negative 😁 honestly I know it was the interviews that nailed the coffin, I was just too scared to think properly lol
I guess they are just looking for something more than technical knowledge and hard work- I got rejected too with 3A* and 51 :frown: oh well

Oh wow, I'm really sorry that's amazing! They don't deserve you at all!
Oh wow, I'm really sorry that's amazing! They don't deserve you at all!

Haha thank you for saying that :smile: where are you guys headed to then?
Haha thank you for saying that :smile: where are you guys headed to then?

I intend to go to Exeter and my friend is going to King's College London - you?
Original post by Ashbash5
I am redoing one of them because I got AAB, but I did have extenuating circumstances so it shouldn't have been too much of a negative 😁 honestly I know it was the interviews that nailed the coffin, I was just too scared to think properly lol

Ugh me too ! I imagined them crossing my name off with every word I spoke... ah well sometimes I console myself with the fact that JK Rowling didn't get to the interview stage 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending