The Student Room Group

How to secure a job in a different region

Hi there,

I am sure the question may sound odd, but I am sure it happens to many people.
I want, for personal reasons, move from my current occupation near London to Glasgow.
Now, the problem is, I really do not want to go there without having secured a job first.
Now, I would really really love not to have to start over again from scratch (as in, waitressing or working in a supermarket), as after many years of struggling I have secured my first office job, in sales, only six months ago (I am an EU citizen, moved to UK one year ago).

There are, of course, many obstacles:
- employers may bin my application as soon as they see where I currently live
- not all employers are keen on skype/phone interviews (I am okay to travel there once, but as you might imagine I cannot possibly take every time days off from work, my residual allowance is slim already)
- I do not know anyone there that could help.

What would you suggest?
Thanks very much in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Have you registered with recruitment agencies in Glasgow or approached companies that have an office in the city and would have sales roles?

People relocate all the time, so your CV won't be binned just because of your address, especially if the covering letter with it explains that you want to relocate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That I will definitely do, even though I am not completely sure recruitment agencies will be effective.

Other options? I hope you're right on the bin thing.
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
No other options apart from the usual job hunting techniques everyone has to go through. I would do some thorough research of the type of companies in the region and start looking at their vacancies.

Why do you think the agencies won't work?

Set up an account on Reed and upload your CV and details on there too, including your location preferences. A lot of companies use that for direct resourcing, and agencies use it to gather CVs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, your feedback will be quite helpful. One last question, if I may, please bear with me.

Would you have any suggestion with regard to the motivation of my relocation? Do I have to include it in my letter? If not, I will definitely be asked in further steps, what should I say?

Problem is, I can't say the truth, as it would be perceived as quite silly if not worse. I am moving with my girlfriend as I might go to uni there (I have secured a place, but am not sure of attending. Of course this aspect won't be disclosed) and she might as well (she'll be applying, hopefully she'll get in).
Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
No you don't have to disclose it on an application.

If you get to interview then you can just say your partner is relocating due to a new opportunity and you are looking to join them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully they won't be too inquisitive.

Thanks a lot for the help.
Reply 4
Mind why Glasgow OP?
Reply 5
Original post by kka25
Mind why Glasgow OP?

Well, I might go studying there so I wanted to move in advance. There is no special reason, I have left my homeland, so, I have no clear idea of where I want to be in the future..
Reply 6
Original post by Harvey008
Well, I might go studying there so I wanted to move in advance. There is no special reason, I have left my homeland, so, I have no clear idea of where I want to be in the future..

I love Scotland, hence that's why I asked :wink:

And I understand the difficulty of finding jobs and doing PG studies as well : /
Reply 7
Original post by kka25
I love Scotland, hence that's why I asked :wink:

And I understand the difficulty of finding jobs and doing PG studies as well : /

Well, I am fairly sure I will love Scotland too. (Avid whisky drinker, love castles and natural scenery)
What are you going to study there? Or, what are you studying? Or, what did you study? Whereabouts in Scotland? :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Harvey008
Well, I am fairly sure I will love Scotland too. (Avid whisky drinker, love castles and natural scenery)
What are you going to study there? Or, what are you studying? Or, what did you study? Whereabouts in Scotland? :biggrin:

I looooooove those Scotish castles! :biggrin: You can't beat the natural scenery in Scotland.

Well, technically if I did have the fund to do another PG study, I'd do something else other than what I've done.

Edinburgh is awesome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending