The Student Room Group

Want to drop Biology but I can't

I'm at the beginning of AS and I hate one of my subjects- Biology. Words cannot describe my hatred for the subject. I mean I disliked it at GCSE but at A-Level it's just pure hatred. I talked to the person in charge of dropping subjects on Monday and he said that it was a bit late but that it would be possible for me to swap it for Economics, which is what I wanted to do. However I talked to my mum and she straight up refused. Made a few passive aggressive comments about how I'm ruining my life etc. and how I won't be able to do medicine. So it didn't happen and today was the deadline so I'm now stuck with Biology. And to make matters worse, my mum has signed me up for a ton if medical courses and work experience for medicine and I DON'T EVEN WANT TO BE A DOCTOR.
Any tips on how I can cope with Biology this year? I have 0 motivation to learn any of the syllabus because I just don't care :/ Need to change my attitude towards it because I'm stuck with it now

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thechemistress
X

Golgi apparatus ftw. Also ask me about stuff.

But seriously we're in a levels now- you should have control over your own future. Maybe organise some work experience by yourself, do it with a friend?
Original post by Lokiofasgard
Golgi apparatus ftw. Also ask me about stuff.

But seriously we're in a levels now- you should have control over your own future. Maybe organise some work experience by yourself, do it with a friend?

Haha, your love for the Golgi is rather amusing :lol: Will do. I shall come running to you with any troubles I have xD

I should, yeah. But my mum seems to think she can dictate what I can and can't do -_-
I need to find some work experience opportunities first, and I'm not exactly sure where to look :tongue:
Haha, your love for the Golgi is rather amusing :lol: Will do. I shall come running to you with any troubles I have xD

I should, yeah. But my mum seems to think she can dictate what I can and can't do -_-
I need to find some work experience opportunities first, and I'm not exactly sure where to look :tongue:

But it's SO COOL.

If I find any work exp things I'll tell you. I know last year they were running something at the rutherford appleton laboratory, plus there's always careers fair to get contacts from.
Original post by Lokiofasgard
But it's SO COOL.

If I find any work exp things I'll tell you. I know last year they were running something at the rutherford appleton laboratory, plus there's always careers fair to get contacts from.

As cool as an organelle can be :tongue:

Thaaanks :biggrin: Also, we have a careers fair?
Tell her straight up that if you don't get to do Econ, that you will drop out.

If you are Asian, strong aware that this could cause problems srs.
Reply 6
You could stop turning up to Bio lessons and instead just go to Econ (if they're on at the same time) and see what happens
I'm at the beginning of AS and I hate one of my subjects- Biology. Words cannot describe my hatred for the subject. I mean I disliked it at GCSE but at A-Level it's just pure hatred. I talked to the person in charge of dropping subjects on Monday and he said that it was a bit late but that it would be possible for me to swap it for Economics, which is what I wanted to do. However I talked to my mum and she straight up refused. Made a few passive aggressive comments about how I'm ruining my life etc. and how I won't be able to do medicine. So it didn't happen and today was the deadline so I'm now stuck with Biology. And to make matters worse, my mum has signed me up for a ton if medical courses and work experience for medicine and I DON'T EVEN WANT TO BE A DOCTOR.
Any tips on how I can cope with Biology this year? I have 0 motivation to learn any of the syllabus because I just don't care :/ Need to change my attitude towards it because I'm stuck with it now

wow I wish my mum would do that for me... had to arrange my work experience all by myself...
(edited 9 years ago)
As cool as an organelle can be :tongue:

Thaaanks :biggrin: Also, we have a careers fair?

It's in february. I think.
Original post by zyzz u mirin?
Tell her straight up that if you don't get to do Econ, that you will drop out.

If you are Asian, strong aware that this could cause problems srs.

It's too late for me to do Econ anyways :/

Original post by Asciant
You could stop turning up to Bio lessons and instead just go to Econ (if they're on at the same time) and see what happens

Haha, I'm not rebellious enough for that xD

Original post by happysmile
wow I wish my mum would do that for me... had to arrange my work experience all by myself...

Have my work experience, I don't ****ing want it anyways :angry:

Have my work experience, I don't ****ing want it anyways :angry:

lol I anticipated that response :tongue: how could she have arranged work experience for you though, don't students have to apply themselves?
Simply put, it's a waste of time you being in Biology lessons if you don't like the subject. You won't be motivated to put the work in, to revise, and ultimately to succeed.

Have you explained your predicament to the person in charge of changing subjects? They may still allow you to switch if you missed the deadline because of your mother's refusal, and delays stemming from that. Your sixth form should allow you to change regardless of what your parent says anyway, after all you are in further education now.
Original post by happysmile
lol I anticipated that response :tongue: how could she have arranged work experience for you though, don't students have to apply themselves?

Apologises for the swearing, I'm just slightly annoyed xD
Yes, normally. So I applied for my first work experience placement myself and wrote the application and all that. But after that, she was the one who got in contact with various uncles/family friends/organisations and then told me who to email asking for work experience and sorted out dates etc. as well as finding all of these medicine related courses and applying for those
Reply 13
Many med school don''t require Biology even though it's more useful than chemistry -.-

If you can't handle biology, it's not too late to change it's only been 2-3 weeks since you started.
Original post by loperdoper
Simply put, it's a waste of time you being in Biology lessons if you don't like the subject. You won't be motivated to put the work in, to revise, and ultimately to succeed.

Have you explained your predicament to the person in charge of changing subjects? They may still allow you to switch if you missed the deadline because of your mother's refusal, and delays stemming from that. Your sixth form should allow you to change regardless of what your parent says anyway, after all you are in further education now.

Exactly. I want to do subjects that I like, and at the moment I'm loving chemistry, maths and further maths. Physics is fun too. it's just biology that's a huge weight on my shoulders :/

That's true actually, I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks :smile:
Lol unlucky.

Tbf it's an easy A if that helps.
Original post by kkboyk
Many med school don''t require Biology even though it's more useful than chemistry -.-

If you can't handle biology, it's not too late to change it's only been 2-3 weeks since you started.

Biology? Do you mean more useful to medicine or more useful in general? :tongue:

Too late by my school's definition. I'd have too much to catch up on apparently

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lol unlucky.

Tbf it's an easy A if that helps.

Doesn't seem too easy. Learning all the different terms etc. is going to take forever :/
Biology A level isn't easy. Medicine isn't easy. If you don't like Biology, most likely you will not do well at it. If you don't do well at it, you probably not get into a good proffession nevermind medicine (which is probably the most competitive of courses). It's still not too late to change courses. I did one month in and it didn't impede on my learning at all, in fact I ended up getting an A in the subject I ended up switching too. Tell your mum that it's getting you down and your not doing well at Biology because you're not interested in biology or medicine. Tell her that if you want to be successful in whatever it is you choose to do, that she should support your decisions in what you want to do. If she forces you to do something you don't want to do, the reality is you won't do well and you will end up going to a mediocre university at best and will end up being just average...or worse.
Exactly. I want to do subjects that I like, and at the moment I'm loving chemistry, maths and further maths. Physics is fun too. it's just biology that's a huge weight on my shoulders :/

That's true actually, I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks :smile:

You've got a strong set of four there even without the switch - engineering is a respected, well-paid career choice for physics/maths students.

Talk to the person again or, if you can find their email, email them tonight, your only one day passed the deadline so there is no real reason why they shouldn't let you change. Explain your situation, they don't want people to take subjects that they don't like or were forced into.
Alternatively you can always drop biology and focus on your other subjects for now, picking up Economics at AS in your second year., they let you drop subjects as late as you like as long as you weren't actually entered for the exam.
They are your A levels and it is your choice what you take not you mum's. Tell her straight and if she won't listen just ignore her, I know its not nice, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Organise some work experience in a field you actually enjoy to prove to her your serious.
If you carry on with biology try linking what you learn into the subjects you enjoy or find an area of biology that you find interesting and focus on what you learn with regards to that. Try and work as hard as you do in your other lessons and don't treat it as a subject you are stuck with, but a chance to find something new, or an opportunity to prove to yourself that you can do it.
You can drop it once you've finished the AS and take up Economics at AS in your second year, treat this as your end goal and you might find biology easier to bear.
Hope it helps. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest