The Student Room Group

Choosing a uni - Brunel/Loughborough/York/Surrey - Need advice

Hello people

This is my last year in college and next year I am planning to go into a university to study Engineering/El.Engineering, At the moment I'm looking at all the possible options

I'm quite sure that at the end of my BTEC National Diploma course I'll have around 240 UCAS points, The problem here is that for most good univestities that is not enough (Usualy they ask around 280/320p.), so I'm planning into doing a foundation year

So far my top 4 universities that Interest me are: Brunel/Loughborough/York/Surrey

I would just like to ask the people that have studied in one of those 4 universities -

-What's the overeall reputation of the university?
-What's the reputation of the Engineering courses? (Overall this is what matters the most to me)
-How good are the foundation courses?(If anyone has ever done them) do they really prepare you for the Real courses?
-How well are the courses taught/Accomd. and so on

I looked at a lot of university rankings on the web, and closely examined Both the Times rankings and the guardian rankings - So this is where my choice comes from

However If someone could give me names of the universities that for example don't have very good reputation overall, but for example have superior reputation in Engineering that would be great

I would be thankfull for any advice or information

Thanks

Some_Guy
I think you are in the wrong section. Go have a look in the engineering section under subjects. Might get more replies there.

good luck
Reply 2
lol ok then...maybe I screwed up a bit...But let's say for example anyone could give me information just general about the universities? (Let's forget about the engineering courses)
Some_Guy
lol ok then...maybe I screwed up a bit...But let's say for example anyone could give me information just general about the universities? (Let's forget about the engineering courses)

Well, of the list you have posted York is the highest "ranked" (for what its worth). I also went there and knew some folk who did electrical engineering and it was an OK for engineering.

The others, Lufbra good ranked uni and an excellent for mech eng (not sure about electrical)

Surrey, Brunel NO IDEA. To be honest have a look at places that are good rankings and that feel right to you. Also make sure you can get in with BTEC (some places may be snobby bout that).
take a look at
http://education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2005/table/0,15905,-5163894,00.html
Take the rankings with a pinch of salt, but you can put in what tariff you are likely to get, have fun and good luck

Latest

Trending

Trending