The Student Room Group

Failed my AS levels, severely depressed

Cd
(edited 9 years ago)
Moved to H&R :smile:
Ok. I am really not the best person to answer this question you are.

I take it from your post that you "failed" year 12 twice. I know the second time you say was for extenuating circumstances, but really I would recommend at this stage rethinking law or medicine. This is primarily because they are the two most competitive undergraduate degrees and often require you to have completed your A levels in one two year sitting. That does not mean give up on them! Just maybe make that decision as a graduate- expensive but you can go uni twice!

For now I recommend you focus on what you like and follow your nose. While your depressed this can be really hard to establish, but I recommend the best way is to look at what you do in your spare time. The answer may not be obvious but it will be there. For me when I was rock bottom I would put off school work by reading popular science books which were primarily Physics and watch the dancing in music videos. Identifying with this provided me with renewed focus of what was important in my life- started dance classes and when to college with a very different attitude. Let this guide A level subject choice or you will fail again.

You say you used to box? Could you not box again. I empathise entirely with sadness your mistake of being lazy will have caused. I used to swim at reagional level, but due to heart condition I fell slowly but surely behind my peers at training. Younger children did not understand and started to bully me. I quit even though I was still representing my club and county. Big mistake! I had three months off and had to go back because I missed it so much. Although going back was not easy as the bullying started again and intensified- but the decision to go was not a mistake. I enjoy the hard work out even though I can not do it at the level I could had I not quit. If I learnt anything from this is that it is about now and the best I can do now. I honestly feel whilst it may not be easy if you could go back and box to the best of your ability now it will help your mental health a lot in helping you accept your mistake move on and find a new degree of determination.

You say your really depressed. For this I have to say pay a visit to your GP. If you have done this then it is time to look at life choices to combat it. And really the first thing you need to do is address the lack of self confidence that often underpins it in a strange way. This takes time, there is no miracle. I would start by asking how you feel at college? If the answer is negative maybe drop to one or two subjects that you are really passionate about for now and find something else to do with the rest of your time. Something I think would perhaps help is find one of those charities that run a budding service with old people, where you could visit them once a day when not at college or once week if at college full time. Your visit will be the highlight of their day- and that gives you great satisfaction and a feeling of self worth a strong sense of purpose for you. I did 6 months with a disabled child at whizz kidz. I got him more active through wheelchair games and was told by his parents he is much happier but I swear I got more out of it. You can tie it in with getting fit again as I am sure there one charity that focuses on runners/walkers where you visit someone as part of your daily run. Bottom line is I can not stress the value of giving your time to help someone is for you. I also am going to spend eight weeks with CHD children from Africa next summer as this kind of work is so good for your morale. Ask yourself do you really enjoy the subjects you doing? My advice earlier will help with making sure this. And again exercise has been shown to be equally good as all the antidepressant drugs- see if you could get back into boxing at a social level it could help in so many ways even if it's just once a week. Get out there!

Sorry this is so long and a little late.
As I say I am no expert but I am talking from my experience of year 12 and very nearly failing due to 6 months ill between October and Feburay, being medically sedated with other issues that really upset me- for example the bully. These are the things that helped me turn parts of my life around.
Yr12 EECD in maths chem physics and geography
resit AABB in same subjects
Don't give up on what you hope to achieve!
Write your goal in paper and do what ever it takes to achieve it, do you want to go uni where all your friends are having a good time or do what to sit around as wasted potential.
Choice is yours.
What I did was make a plan how to succeed, i researched how to become self motivated and improve my grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending