The Student Room Group

Can you transfer to engineering from a physics course?

At university? I'm asking as both courses tend to want the same a-level subjects(maths, further maths and physics) and physics is intrinsic to engineering. I love physics a lot and would really like to study it at university, but I'm also very interested in engineering and feel as if it would be an inherently more useful degree. Do you guys know of any university courses which may allow you to do pure physics for the first year and transfer to engineering..? Or is it the case that engineering courses start off with pure physics in the first undergrad year anyway? Thanks.
Original post by tanyapotter
At university? I'm asking as both courses tend to want the same a-level subjects(maths, further maths and physics) and physics is intrinsic to engineering. I love physics a lot and would really like to study it at university, but I'm also very interested in engineering and feel as if it would be an inherently more useful degree. Do you guys know of any university courses which may allow you to do pure physics for the first year and transfer to engineering..? Or is it the case that engineering courses start off with pure physics in the first undergrad year anyway? Thanks.

Firstly, don't choose a degree based on its perceived "usefulness". What matters is how interested you are in it. Having said that, at least in terms of employment stats, engineering isn't really that superior to physics at all.

Secondly, I don't think so. Engineering has a lot of physics content - you need to decide whether you're more interested in applied physics (in which case do engineering) or theoretical/experimental physics (in which case do physics). Do you want to do physics for the sake of doing physics, or physics for the sake of making things?
Original post by Chlorophile
Firstly, don't choose a degree based on its perceived "usefulness". What matters is how interested you are in it. Having said that, at least in terms of employment stats, engineering isn't really that superior to physics at all.

Secondly, I don't think so. Engineering has a lot of physics content - you need to decide whether you're more interested in applied physics (in which case do engineering) or theoretical/experimental physics (in which case do physics). Do you want to do physics for the sake of doing physics, or physics for the sake of making things?

From about year 8 I've wanted to go into physics and was seriously considering it until my dad told me that since I'm taking all the relevant a-levels, I might as well go into engineering (he's an engineer himself and never shuts up about how great and rewarding it is). Since considering engineering, I've won the Arkwright scholarship, done relevant work experience, been accepted onto the EES and have a much better understanding of what it entails and frankly, it sounds like an amazing thing to study at uni! Yet that doesn't mean that my dream of doing astrophysics, particle physics or cosmology has died down so I'm really torn. When physics first comes to mind, I primarily think of research and development, reading about string theory, the Higgs Boson etc. - less so than making computers or cars. So that must be a warning sign that I may not enjoy engineering at uni as much as physics. But I really don't know which one to choose. I'm really stuck.

From about year 8 I've wanted to go into physics and was seriously considering it until my dad told me that since I'm taking all the relevant a-levels, I might as well go into engineering (he's an engineer himself and never shuts up about how great and rewarding it is). Since considering engineering, I've won the Arkwright scholarship, done relevant work experience, been accepted onto the EES and have a much better understanding of what it entails and frankly, it sounds like an amazing thing to study at uni! Yet that doesn't mean that my dream of doing astrophysics, particle physics or cosmology has died down so I'm really torn. When physics first comes to mind, I primarily think of research and development, reading about string theory, the Higgs Boson etc. - less so than making computers or cars. So that must be a warning sign that I may not enjoy engineering at uni as much as physics. But I really don't know which one to choose. I'm really stuck.

The EES will definitely help you decide, if you put effort into making the most of it. The EES was a really great opportunity for me, but it also made me realise that I don't want to be an engineer! Both degrees are excellent and leave lots of options open but you will need to decide by the end of this year (plenty of time though!) whether you're more interested in an applied course or experimental/theoretical course. I would say though, that it's probably easier to go into engineering with a physics degree than to go into academia with an engineering degree.
Dundee do a combined Engineering and Physics course (can't link because I'm on my phone, sorry!). And there are "Engineering Physics" courses offered by multiple universities - perhaps that is an option? I don't know all that much about engineering, so I can't comment on course quality.
Also, perhaps, can you do a postgrad or conversion course for engineering after a physics degree?
The EES will definitely help you decide, if you put effort into making the most of it. The EES was a really great opportunity for me, but it also made me realise that I don't want to be an engineer! Both degrees are excellent and leave lots of options open but you will need to decide by the end of this year (plenty of time though!) whether you're more interested in an applied course or experimental/theoretical course. I would say though, that it's probably easier to go into engineering with a physics degree than to go into academia with an engineering degree.

i'm sure it'll be a great experience! if you don't mind me asking, what made you decide you don't want to be an engineer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm sure it'll be a great experience! if you don't mind me asking, what made you decide you don't want to be an engineer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I realised that I don't want to work for a company. I'm interested in working for the sake of developing humanity's understanding of the world and benefiting the human race as a whole, rather than working to please a company's shareholders. Also, doing some serious research into academia made me realise it's perfect for me. I'm definitely not insulting engineering - the EES made me respect engineers a whole lot more - it's just not for me. I'm obsessive and the idea of spending my life obsessively researching cool stuff sounds like a dream!
Because I realised that I don't want to work for a company. I'm interested in working for the sake of developing humanity's understanding of the world and benefiting the human race as a whole, rather than working to please a company's shareholders. Also, doing some serious research into academia made me realise it's perfect for me. I'm definitely not insulting engineering - the EES made me respect engineers a whole lot more - it's just not for me. I'm obsessive and the idea of spending my life obsessively researching cool stuff sounds like a dream!

going into higher education and working towards a PhD in physics has long been my dream! i just wish i had the courage and confidence that you do to be able to follow it. my dad really dissuaded me from academia and wants me to go straight into investment banking in goldmann sachs or deutsche bank! i mean, it looks interesting and obviously pays well but i cannot imagine it being more rewarding than doing post-graduate studies in, say, quantum mechanics and just learning more and more about the physical world until there is nothing left to do but to make your own breakthroughs.

finally, and sorry for bugging you, but how has arkwright reacted to you not wanting to do engineering at uni anymore?

Posted from TSR Mobile
going into higher education and working towards a PhD in physics has long been my dream! i just wish i had the courage and confidence that you do to be able to follow it. my dad really dissuaded me from academia and wants me to go straight into investment banking in goldmann sachs or deutsche bank! i mean, it looks interesting and obviously pays well but i cannot imagine it being more rewarding than doing post-graduate studies in, say, quantum mechanics and just learning more and more about the physical world until there is nothing left to do but to make your own breakthroughs.

finally, and sorry for bugging you, but how has arkwright reacted to you not wanting to do engineering at uni anymore?
Posted from TSR Mobile

It really depends on what you want in life. I've reached the conclusion that I am very happy with the idea of spending my life on a relatively low income if it means I can pursue my interests, but obviously that won't be the same for a lot of people. I would never go into investment banking but there are certainly a lot of opportunities associated with it and as you say, you'd be loaded with money. My advice is listen to your family, but go with what you think you'll enjoy the most. If you think the rewards of IB will make it worthwhile for you, go with it. If you think you'd be happier in academia, go with that. You can go into IB with basically any quantitative degree though, so that decision doesn't need to be made now.

I'm waiting for Arkwright's response. I'm really hoping they don't suspend my scholarship, but they would be within their rights to do that.
Why does your dad want you to go into investment banking? The raison d'etre is money, and with that comes intense pressure to perform and make profit for the shareholders and stakeholders. You also have to think of the working environment and the type of people you will end up working with.

Engineering is real in that you have something solid to show for your efforts. I don't need to tell you, the sky is definitely not the limit and you have the choice of working on some absolutely amazing projects and be proud of your achievements. Just look around you, virtually everything you see from the smallest to the largest that is man-made is the product of an engineer.

And then there is physics. As Chlorophile points out, if your motivation is to push the boundaries of human knowledge, then money becomes secondary and you will find that everything else will become relatively insignificant. There is a synergy between physics and engineering where the hypothesis needs to be tested. The really interesting stuff is pushing the existing technologies to new limits.

It may well be that working as an engineering physicist will kill two birds with one stone for you. Think big like ITER and it's successor, international projects etc.

I know of quite a few physicists who went onto engineering as a career, but relatively few engineers who went on to become physicists. That is not to say it does not happen, just less likely.

But be certain, that whatever career you go into, it is because YOU want to satisfy your passion and NOT because someone else thinks you can make loads of money. The latter is likely to leave you unsatisfied and somewhere down the line, deeply regretting your choice.
It really depends on what you want in life. I've reached the conclusion that I am very happy with the idea of spending my life on a relatively low income if it means I can pursue my interests, but obviously that won't be the same for a lot of people. I would never go into investment banking but there are certainly a lot of opportunities associated with it and as you say, you'd be loaded with money. My advice is listen to your family, but go with what you think you'll enjoy the most. If you think the rewards of IB will make it worthwhile for you, go with it. If you think you'd be happier in academia, go with that. You can go into IB with basically any quantitative degree though, so that decision doesn't need to be made now.

I'm waiting for Arkwright's response. I'm really hoping they don't suspend my scholarship, but they would be within their rights to do that.

I think that the wisest thing for me to do right now would be to focus and make sure I get the best possible AS results at the end of Year 12, by which time I'll hopefully have also decided whether or not I want to be an engineer. I'm definitely leaning toward a pure physics degree, which can't be good news for the Arkwright front, but I can't base my life plan on a scholarship that binds me to something I may or may not enjoy doing at uni.

Good luck with Arkwright and let me know the outcome! I checked the website recently and one of the statistics showed that around 20% of arkwright scholars didn't go into engineering eventually, but I don't know whether or not these 20% had their scholarship terminated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest