The Student Room Group

Anyone retaking maths gcse with a grade a??

Hey guys!
My strongest subject is maths and i had done the maths gcse last year and i got an A. But i am retaking it to get an A* hopefully.

What do you guys think of this choice?

Do you know anyone who retook an exam even though they got an A?

Would you retake an exam if you got an A?
Original post by samsun12345
Hey guys!
My strongest subject is maths and i had done the maths gcse last year and i got an A. But i am retaking it to get an A* hopefully.

Personally, I really don't see the point, not for GCSE. You got an A. That's amazing! What's the point of resitting and adding the extra pressure of another exam, and all just for a little *?
Don't know anyone personally who got an A and re-sat just to get an A*, don't think anyone I know really saw the point.
And no, I wouldn't bother.

However, if it's really that important to you to get an A*, then go for it. it's totally up to you at the end of the day!
Don't think there's much point for GCSE - employers will look at it, see you resat it and think you didn't work hard enough at it the first time round when in reality an A is great but they won't know that's what you got...I'd say do the next level up, you're obviously capable of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
I know someone who retook their maths GCSE to get an A*, not sure if she got it though.

I think she chose to retake because she wanted to do further maths? :dontknow: Or just wanted a higher grade, was advised by teachers/mother to do so...

If you're planning to do Further Maths at A level, it would be good to have an A* in maths at GCSE.
Hey OP when I did my Maths GCSE in year 9 and 10 I ended up getting an A. I wasn't happy so I retook and ended up getting an A again. Then I just thought you know what its in my destiny to get an A and I accepted it fair and square. If you want to retake then go ahead but if I was in your position right now after what I went through...I would just gladly accept the A. Just remember NO REGRETS! :h:
Reply 6
Friend of mine got an A at GCSE. Then got A at A Level, which is worth 100s of GCSE A*s. The difference between a level maths and gcse is huge, just make sure you ace a level and no one will even notice you got an a at gcse
Reply 7
I sat GCSE maths 3 times and walked away with an A all three times. I do A level and to be honest, as long as you get a solid A and understand the maths, an A is going to set you up fine for life.
Reply 8
Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Reply 9
Original post by It's_Ailie
Don't think there's much point for GCSE - employers will look at it, see you resat it and think you didn't work hard enough at it the first time round when in reality an A is great but they won't know that's what you got...I'd say do the next level up, you're obviously capable of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Employers don't actually see retakes and things, only Universities do.
Since Maths is my strongest as well, if I was in your position I probably would've done the retake :') chances are you had a bad day and you want to prove to yourself that you can get the higher grade, no matter how unimportant it may seem to other people.

By the sounds of it you did the GCSE early, in year 10? If so, I think it's fine to retake....you won't need to do any extra work, you seem to already know all of the needed Maths to get the grade, just revise before the exam and you should be fine. If you need it, say, to do Further Maths at A Level then it's an especially good idea.

Good Luck :smile:
same with me! If i can't get an A in maths (my strongest subject) then i don't know what i can get A in :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
Hey guys!

What are your school doing with you this year - Stat? FM? Add Maths? or something else?

Whatever it is - focus on that
Hey guys!

I was two marks away from an A when I say modular in year 10 so I took linear maths and got about 97% in Jan of year 11, deffo worth it because I knew I'd made stupid mistakes and that's the only reason I missed it. I think the question is do you think you're capable of an A*? If so definitely go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest