The Student Room Group

Guardian: France's burka ban made teenage Muslims fight for ISIS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skip_Snip
It's not the West's fault those people hate equality and fairness.

They don't hate equality and fairness. What they do hate is constant interference and meddling in their affairs. The west were never needed in the middle east. This is what happens when you carve up lands, install dictatorships to preserve self interests, and take the sovereignty of a people away from them. And we're still there. :frown: Shame really.
Original post by geneticist
You don't have to wear shorts and tshirts obviously.I'm non hijabi and i don't wear mini skirts, shorts at all.I respect your choice, my point is not all non hijabis wear sexy things and expose their body.

You talk about shorts and T-shirts as if they're provocative... How are shorts 'sexy things'? Shorts haven't been thought of as provocative since about 1910.

I feel like this society is having to step back a hundred years to accommodate totally unevolved people. The French deserve applause.
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
1. I find it insulting that you think women who don't cover up are somehow whoreish.

2. I find it insulting that you imply man cannot conduct himself with women whom he is not sexually connected to without having their body hidden.

3. Having someone covered head to toe, and cover their face with a veil, is an act of exclusionary and connotes that you want to hide from society. Just as you cannot wear balaclavas in banks, you should not be allowed to hide your face in schools.

4. The Koran does not justify the use of the burqa of the niqaab. Their use has come from western muslims copying the perverse fundamentalist Wahabi movement.

5. It is a symbol of oppression. It is an insult to your sisters in Tehran and Pakistan who are being beaten and raped and are forced to hide themselves to suggest that it is liberating.

6. Islam needs a reformation. Qur’anic studies, as a field of academic research, appears today to be in a state of disarray. Those who study Islam’s origins, have to admit collectively that we simply do not know some very basic things about the Qur’an things so basic that the knowledge of them is usually taken for granted by scholars dealing with other texts. Its place of origin, its original form, its initial audience all are mysteries. That being so, it is certainly no longer possible to presume that there is anything remotely self-evident about the birth of Islam. Indeed, it is hard to think of any other field of history so currently riven by disagreement.

This is such a true and brilliant response that I could f***ing cry.
Original post by beautifulxxx
Ohhhhh. So I get in shorts and a t shirt to please you people. Interesting. What happened to freedom? I'm not excluding myself from society lol, I'm probably more sociable and civilized than you outside:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ironic that you present yourself online using an avatar with their hair and boobage on show.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Ironic that you present yourself online using an avatar with their hair and boobage on show.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know. Most female Disney characters would probably be killed in Muslim countries. The Little Mermaid wouldn't last a second.
Original post by KingBradly
I know. Most female Disney characters would probably be killed in Muslim countries. The Little Mermaid wouldn't last a second.

Don't forget the gays in frozen being stoned to death

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't forget the gays in frozen being stoned to death

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's pretty sad to consider that Disney is infinitely more liberal and progressive than the majority of Muslims in the world.

Can we not just get rid of this religion? Over the last 100 years we managed to progress so far, and now we have people walking our streets who think any woman wearing shorts is a whore. It's incredibly depressing.
It's pretty sad to consider that Disney is infinitely more liberal and progressive than the majority of Muslims in the world.

Can we not just get rid of this religion? Over the last 100 years we managed to progress so far, and now we have people walking our streets who think any woman wearing shorts is a whore. It's incredibly depressing.

awh well what a shame, Islam isn't going anywhere with around 1.6 billion muslims in the world yipee one of the world's fastest growing religions *go Islam!* ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blvckpearls
awh well what a shame, Islam isn't going anywhere with around 1.6 billion muslims in the world yipee one of the world's fastest growing religions *go Islam!* ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're actually expressing glee in the knowledge that you may help to destroy progress. How sad.
You're actually expressing glee in the knowledge that you may help to destroy progress. How sad.

Oh my, progress in what exactly? And the only "sad" person I see here is you, spreading hatred and negativity about someone's belief. Haven't you ever been taught respect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not the West's fault those people hate equality and fairness.

Original post by R£SP£CT
They don't hate equality and fairness. What they do hate is constant interference and meddling in their affairs. The west were never needed in the middle east. This is what happens when you carve up lands, install dictatorships to preserve self interests, and take the sovereignty of a people away from them. And we're still there. :frown: Shame really.

This is true. I am quite a big critic of muslims in general. However I won't lie to myself and try to make myself believe that the West isn't the largest terrorist force in the world. What happened to my country of Afghanistan is sickening.
Oh my, progress in what exactly? And the only "sad" person I see here is you, spreading hatred and negativity about someone's belief. Haven't you ever been taught respect?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Enlightenment both socially and scientifically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52

I think he's referring to the huge advancements in the sciences and engineering over the past 100 years. Stuff that the middle east is yet to catch up on.

In relation to the rest of the world, 1.6b ain't that much. About 22% of the world. Also, Islam may be the fastest growing religion (even if it is only amongst already Muslim families, which kind of defeats the metric), irreligion is spreading exponentially faster, and without the help of parental intervention.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Deteriorate
This is true. I am quite a big critic of muslims in general. However I won't lie to myself and try to make myself believe that the West isn't the largest terrorist force in the world. What happened to my country of Afghanistan is sickening.

And what did the West do to Afghanistan ?
You talk about shorts and T-shirts as if they're provocative... How are shorts 'sexy things'? Shorts haven't been thought of as provocative since about 1910.

I feel like this society is having to step back a hundred years to accommodate totally unevolved people. The French deserve applause.

That wasn't my point, shorts and tshirts are not provocative at all.I gave them as an example because they were her words.I tried to say she doesn't have to show her legs,arms or curves to other people as a non hijabi if she doesn't want to.

In short, they are absolutely not provocative and i usually don't put much effort in writing my posts so it might cause misunderstanding.
Tried to give them democracy? Evil, evil West.

Lol, what? Tried to give them democracy? How, by starting illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that were completely unjustified? By propping up the authoritarian regime of the Saud family in Saudi Arabia? By aiding a repressive regime in Oman using military force around the 1960's? Or perhaps the UK simply wanted democracy when it cooperated with the US to overthrow a popular, nationalist government in Iran in the 1950s, resulting in a client regime that created a nasty surveillance force and 10,000 murdered by 1979. And this is only scratching the surface of what we've actually done. Yep, we sure love good old democratic movements and not violent authoritarian regimes who will assure us of big stakes in their oilfields.

I heard once that the further you move up the socioeconomic ladder, the more people believe the State's official narrative of events. Interestingly, propaganda works with the more highly educated and wealthy (Orwell kind of makes this point in 1984, where the proles are more distrustful of the government but are kept distracted by pleasure). I'm not sure where you are, but the probability is middle class going by TSR, but be free to tell me if I'm wrong. Either way, it would explain the massive amounts of apologia for clearly immoral actions and false narratives on these forums.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's an avatar. Grow up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Progress moving towards objective thinking, philosophy, personal freedom, liberalism. Progress moving away from dogma, indoctrination, and superstition.
Original post by Arkasia
That's because they don't tolerate an intolerant religion, and they see you as a part of that. It's a kneejerk reaction, and one they have against any woman with such a head-covering, due to cultural stigma and, now, law.

Okay. UK is pretty tolerant though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
1. I find it insulting that you think women who don't cover up are somehow whoreish.

2. I find it insulting that you imply man cannot conduct himself with women whom he is not sexually connected to without having their body hidden.

3. Having someone covered head to toe, and cover their face with a veil, is an act of exclusionary and connotes that you want to hide from society. Just as you cannot wear balaclavas in banks, you should not be allowed to hide your face in schools.

4. The Koran does not justify the use of the burqa of the niqaab. Their use has come from western muslims copying the perverse fundamentalist Wahabi movement.

5. It is a symbol of oppression. It is an insult to your sisters in Tehran and Pakistan who are being beaten and raped and are forced to hide themselves to suggest that it is liberating.

6. Islam needs a reformation. Qur’anic studies, as a field of academic research, appears today to be in a state of disarray. Those who study Islam’s origins, have to admit collectively that we simply do not know some very basic things about the Qur’an things so basic that the knowledge of them is usually taken for granted by scholars dealing with other texts. Its place of origin, its original form, its initial audience all are mysteries. That being so, it is certainly no longer possible to presume that there is anything remotely self-evident about the birth of Islam. Indeed, it is hard to think of any other field of history so currently riven by disagreement.

Okah woahhh. I did not say people who don't cover up are whores calm down. My apologies I didn't intend on insulting you in any way.

Okay:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending