The Student Room Group

The TSR leaderboard

Scroll to see replies

Best 3x5 too. Approx 95kg bw. Annoying that I haven't done **** since doing these.

[video="youtube;hf7jiMn5jDg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf7jiMn5jDg[/video]
That article basically says bounce and don't do full rom to lift more weight. Who'd have thought it?
Original post by illusionz
That article basically says bounce and don't do full rom to lift more weight. Who'd have thought it?

It is a bounce, but it's definitely still the full ROM. You bounce downwards, so it's still the original starting point from where you would normally sling the weight up. It's just a method of removing the initial dead stop, essentially imagining that you've just come down from a previous rep.

So, yes, it is a bounce, but it's still the full ROM and the same muscle groups. The distance from start to lock remains exactly the same.

As I said, I know some people may disagree with it because they always want the strict press, but you gain far more benefits from using that than you would struggling on a much lower weight without the bounce. That's been my experience. I started using it pretty early when I was stalling and because I shot up in weight I was then able to do a strict press and with more reps at a much higher weight.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Genocidal
It is a bounce, but it's definitely still the full ROM. You bounce downwards, so it's still the original starting point from where you would normally sling the weight up. It's just a method of removing the initial dead stop, essentially imagining that you've just come down from a previous rep.

So, yes, it is a bounce, but it's still the full ROM and the same muscle groups. The distance from start to lock remains exactly the same.

As I said, I know some people may disagree with it because they always want the strict press, but you gain far more benefits from using that than you would struggling on a much lower weight without the bounce. That's been my experience. I started using it pretty early when I was stalling and because I shot up in weight I was then able to do a strict press and with more reps at a much higher weight.

I'm not saying not to do it but he states that with his narrow grip the bar no longer comes down to his chest and starts near his chin. That is not full rom.
Up to date

Stormrage at the top for squats!
I'm not saying not to do it but he states that with his narrow grip the bar no longer comes down to his chest and starts near his chin. That is not full rom.

Aha, I get what you mean now. I thought you were talking about just the bounce. In my case I only do the bounce and don't take the other things. I don't do the narrow grip, so I maintain the full range. In truth, I tried to narrow my grip, but I thought it reduced my strength.
Going to link my new frontie and bench PBs in a sec.

Not that I gain any places.

Going for squat pb Monday to overtake XYZ on this leaderboard, I think he's done more before though but not on video.
Frontie 150kg: http://youtu.be/1_gOCieO7RA

1_gOCieO7RA

Hell Yea!

150kg atg beltless Frontie.
Bench 115kg: http://youtu.be/txf4XFVw6Mo

txf4XFVw6Mo

Dat 1rm bench. Slow lockout but Matt was never near touching the bar.

Could have probably lifted off myself but Nvm, still counts.

Both at 84.3kg. :smile:
Original post by Motorbiker
Bench 115kg: http://youtu.be/txf4XFVw6Mo

txf4XFVw6Mo

Dat 1rm bench. Slow lockout but Matt was never near touching the bar.

Could have probably lifted off myself but Nvm, still counts.

Both at 84.3kg. :smile:

solid lifting recently man
Some extremely impressive lifts.

Must admit that my strength goals only go as far as lifting more than my goal bodyweight (so aims of ~90kg). Beyond that it will purely be for aesthetic purposes.

Original post by Rakas21
Some extremely impressive lifts.

Must admit that my strength goals only go as far as lifting more than my goal bodyweight (so aims of ~90kg). Beyond that it will purely be for aesthetic purposes.

Just wait. You'll get hooked on strength progress. Many of us did not set out with the intention of squatting 200kg. But once you realise what's possible you damn well want to do it.
Just wait. You'll get hooked on strength progress. Many of us did not set out with the intention of squatting 200kg. But once you realise what's possible you damn well want to do it.

Can confirm. Used to be a bro, now all I care about his squatting 200+ kg and deadlifting 300+ kg
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Can confirm. Used to be a bro, now all I care about his squatting 200+ kg and deadlifting 300+ kg

How far off 200kg squat do you reckon you are?

Already do, granted i'm fat at the moment but i love lifting with barbells and dumbells as heavily as i can. I think lifting may actually give me more endorphin's than cardio plus i'm pretty competitive and love the ache as it feels like you've actually done something the morning after.

Can't see myself being a proper meathead though. At 6'4 and a goal weight of 181lb i reckon lifting 90KG on a number of OP's lifts is achievable and will leave me looking moderately buff.
How far off 200kg squat do you reckon you are?

Plan to hit it in 6weeks. Not too sure what my max is atm. Hit 165 x1 last week, felt like a warmup, even after a month off. Plan is 175x1 this week, adding 5kg a week and peaking xmas eve with 200x1, along with a 280x1 deadlift.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Plan to hit it in 6weeks. Not too sure what my max is atm. Hit 165 x1 last week, felt like a warmup, even after a month off. Plan is 175x1 this week, adding 5kg a week and peaking xmas eve with 200x1, along with a 280x1 deadlift.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strong. Beltless I assume.

Wonder what a fair race (all things considered :P ) would be with out squats.
Strong. Beltless I assume.

Wonder what a fair race (all things considered :P ) would be with out squats.

Beltless yeah. Getting a belt for xmas, plan on hitting a 300 dead in Jan :awesome:

You're making some crazy fast squat gains.

Posted from TSR Mobile
142.5kg X 1 bench press @105kg

120kg X 7 bench press @105kg

All up to date

Scoobie chilling at the top of the bench board

Quick Reply

Latest