The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

jinsisi
As far as I know, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Edinburgh don't do clearing this year.

Durham has quite a few clearing places in both the Durham city and the Queen's Campus, but they are for international students only.:eek:

UCL did have clearing..but for useless courses..like Human Genetics or something..
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
when i checked the clearign list....that was 1 week after alevels came out...DURHAM did not have any places...on UCAS !!
Reply 22
cherrychocolate
It seems money can buy you a place on a course...sod academic ability.Got money?Yep,you're in!

The government sets quotas for HEFCE funded (UK and EU) students

When the University built Josephine Butler it was reported that they were not getting an increased quota from HEFCE. This has probably caused them to have these clearing spaces, as they have physical space in the colleges but not permission/funding from the government to fill it with UK/EU students.

I think there are also quotas for international students as well but they are not normally met. If they were met then it would probably be possible for a year to have too many international students apply and thus have UK/EU clearing places only.
Reply 23
OK, for a conclusive answer for these quota issues: Yes, she is an intl student! And I have seen the notice on Durham website quite a while ago. OK, Im pretty sure that must be a place at Stockton. But I could hardly imagine coz the lowest offer at Stockton is BBC (correct me if Im wrong). Dont forget that she missed her BBC offer at Birmingham. It just seems so unfair if they just let her in coz she is paying much more money than the others despite her crappy grades. Is Durham really that desperate for $$$?

She didnt say specifically what her course is, but said it's a Econ&Fin-related course. Hmm... I didn't bother to query. It makes sense to u guys if Im feeling a bit degraded, rite? Im also an intl student, and it makes me think that Durham has only accepted me because Im paying them much more money than the others. I am merely paying for it, while u guys r actually working for it. Owells
Reply 24
jinsisi
As far as I know, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Edinburgh don't do clearing this year.

Durham has quite a few clearing places in both the Durham city and the Queen's Campus, but they are for international students only.:eek:

Edinburgh did have clearing places, as fas as I can remember. Durham wasnt on the UCAS clearing list right after the results were published. I couldnt remember seeing UCL on the clearing list as well. So the accurate list should be: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL n Durham.
Abagnale
OK, for a conclusive answer for these quota issues: Yes, she is an intl student! And I have seen the notice on Durham website quite a while ago. OK, Im pretty sure that must be a place at Stockton. But I could hardly imagine coz the lowest offer at Stockton is BBC (correct me if Im wrong). Dont forget that she missed her BBC offer at Birmingham. It just seems so unfair if they just let her in coz she is paying much more money than the others despite her crappy grades. Is Durham really that desperate for $$$?

She didnt say specifically what her course is, but said it's a Econ&Fin-related course. Hmm... I didn't bother to query. It makes sense to u guys if Im feeling a bit degraded, rite? Im also an intl student, and it makes me think that Durham has only accepted me because Im paying them much more money than the others. I am merely paying for it, while u guys r actually working for it. Owells

Durham won't have accepted you because you are paying more.I'm pretty sure it will be because of your talent rather than your wallet.They just have quotas to fill.That's all.If it wasn't you in that place it would be some other international and I'm guessing you're clever and worked hard to get in because Durham get a high number of applicants.

Don't feel degraded.When it comes to clearing they have to fill the spaces and if the quota means they can only take an international student then an international student they shall take!

It's like us UK people feeling like we were advantaged/disadvantaged because we did/didn't go to private school.There's another quota for you.

Latest