The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How hard is it to get into Durham?

For those students that applied at Durham, did you find it hard to get an offer?
Reply 1
Original post by MARCU51
For those students that applied at Durham, did you find it hard to get an offer?

This is hard to answer, I applied and I got in! You don't get an interview at Durham like with Oxbridge so there's no interview anxiety to contend with, they also give out a lot of contextual offers so while I got in as an English student with A*AA some of my friends on the same course got in with AAB. Durham is a real mixed bag of students, one of my friends did two A-levels and got a D and an E and he still ended up here! Hope that's reassuring :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
The offer rate is over 70%, you are more than likely to receive an offer if you meet the grade requirements. It is not this epic university a lot of people on this site go on about, it is a standard very good educational institution.
Reply 3
Original post by DizzyFluff
This is hard to answer, I applied and I got in! You don't get an interview at Durham like with Oxbridge so there's no interview anxiety to contend with, they also give out a lot of contextual offers so while I got in as an English student with A*AA some of my friends on the same course got in with AAB. Durham is a real mixed bag of students, one of my friends did two A-levels and got a D and an E and he still ended up here! Hope that's reassuring :smile:

first of all, congrats on those great A levels you got. secondly, WOW that crazy that they got in with D and E, did they get a contextual offer for that, or did they go through clearing?
Reply 4
Original post by MARCU51
first of all, congrats on those great A levels you got. secondly, WOW that crazy that they got in with D and E, did they get a contextual offer for that, or did they go through clearing?

Thank you! My friend was an unusual case, he is studying Japanese at Durham and was previously doing it at another uni but didn't like it and dropped out after first year, and he got into Durham because he'd already done one year of it so was better at Japanese than most of the others there. But it is absolutely possible to get into Durham without all A* grades in a number of different ways, don't be discouraged!

Quick Reply

Latest