The Student Room Group

How much Math for ACT and SAT?

I would like to know how hard is the Maths that is tested at SAT and ACT. Is it above and beyond GCSE/AS/A2

I am not sure if I want to do a level Math at gcse I think I will get an A
Yes SAT is probably A* maths/AS maths.

Its more about strategizing.
Reply 2
Thank Damien. Any idea on act
Reply 3
ACT maths is really easy...there are some harder more complex bits. but dont worry if you mess up in the maths just make up for it in the Reading, english and science sections!

plus with ACT there is no negative marking so even if u do make a mistake, it wont bring your score down :smile:

I would reccomend ACT its much easier to prepare for!

FYI i got 31/36 composite 1st go which im pleased with :smile: and maths was my worst section :/
Reply 4
SAT is easy GCSE maths and the ACT is slightly harder.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Yes SAT is probably A* maths/AS maths.

Its more about strategizing.

Yes, exactly. That's for the very hardest questions that only the very top people will get right mind you. The rest of the questions range from level four KS3 stuff to the average GCSE maths.

I was an A student at GCSE but I don't really like maths and didn't take it for AS either. While it would have made things easier for me if I'd have at least done the AS, I think preparation and study is more than good enough to get at least decent.
Original post by vaudevillain
Yes, exactly. That's for the very hardest questions that only the very top people will get right mind you. The rest of the questions range from level four KS3 stuff to the average GCSE maths.

I was an A student at GCSE but I don't really like maths and didn't take it for AS either. While it would have made things easier for me if I'd have at least done the AS, I think preparation and study is more than good enough to get at least decent.

True I mean one mistake or one leave out on the math section then there goes your 800 on that part.
Reply 7
Original post by tania880
I would like to know how hard is the Maths that is tested at SAT and ACT. Is it above and beyond GCSE/AS/A2

I am not sure if I want to do a level Math at gcse I think I will get an A

The maths section of SAT I tests you on algebra 1/2 and geometry, essentially GCSE maths. The maths in the ACT is more challenging and involves some AS level maths (logs, quadratics, etc). The maths questions in the SAT are worded oddly and therefore make it much harder than ACT maths (questions are much more straightforward), despite the fact that the ACT maths sections tests you on more difficult topics.

I'd advise you to use a graphing calculator when taking either tests, it'll make it a lot easier.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Slightly unrelated, but does anyone know whether I can use 2 calculators when I take SAT II math?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending