The Student Room Group

Are there any exceptions/limits to leaving a job

Hello TSR

This is pretty self-explanatory as the title says. For example this could be operating illegally or risk to your health and wellbeing. Has anyone been grilled or slated for leaving a former employer by a potential employer?

I am personally in a difficult position which has caused a lot of frustration and unhappiness.

Appreciate all thoughts and opinions

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Singh89
Hello TSR

This is pretty self-explanatory as the title says. For example this could be operating illegally or risk to your health and wellbeing. Has anyone been grilled or slated for leaving a former employer by a potential employer?

I am personally in a difficult position which has caused a lot of frustration and unhappiness.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I've heard they might ask why you left but they don't really care that much unless you got fired. I would imagine the main grilling comes from the employer you are leaving

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
From what I've heard they might ask why you left but they don't really care that much unless you got fired. I would imagine the main grilling comes from the employer you are leaving

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree.
The only thing i wouldnt do is slag off your former employer to your new employer, as it wont look too great- however bad your last employer was.
Original post by Singh89
Hello TSR

Cheers

Your CV will tell the story really. If you stayed at most of your jobs a reasonable length of time but have left the last one after only a short period of time, you could probably get away with claiming it just wasn't the right job for you. If you've never had a job for more than 3 months, however, a potential new employer might get suspicious that every job is not the right job for you...

You will also usually need a convincing answer for "why did you leave your previous post?"

And leaving your most recent job off your CV is a definite no-no as, as you've mentioned above, employers might talk!
Reply 4
How about in the case where your health and wellbeing is at risk and if your current employer is operating against regulations i.e. illegally?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Singh89
How about in the case where your health and wellbeing is at risk and if your current employer is operating against regulations i.e. illegally?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You keep asking this. The only way what you're saying is credible is if you whistleblow and an external authority proves that your employer is operating against regulations. Other than in that circumstance, you need to find another reason to move, or you will be labelled a troublemaker/malcontent and find it hard to be employed.

So is your employer really behaving in an illegal way? If so, step up and declare it to the appropriate authority. If not, then 'shut up and put up' or leave and if asked provide an alternative and more constructive reason if asked in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending