The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hehe if i could rep you i so would
Serious answer to the OP :wink:

Brian Gilmartin wrote a thesis in the late 70s about love-shy males, a category into which he estimated 1.5% of men fall.

His criteria for love-shyness:

1) He is male.
2) He is a virgin.
3) He is a person who very rarely goes out socially with women.
4) He is a person without a past history of any emotionally close, meaningful relationships of a romantic and/or sexual nature with any member of the opposite sex.
5) He is a person who has suffered and is continuing to suffer emotionally because of a lack of meaningful female companionship. In short, he is a person who desperately wishes to have a relationship with a woman, but does not have one because of shyness.
6) He is a man who becomes extremely anxiety-ridden over so much as the mere thought of asserting himself vis-à-vis a woman in a casual, friendly way. This is the essence of "love-shyness".
7) He is a man who is strictly heterosexual in his romantic and erotic orientations. In other words, he is a person who is in no way a homosexual.
:eek: it's me :eek:
Reply 63
might be me in a few years. not quite as severe as that at the moment though :P
There's a woman at the moment trying to find someone to lose her virginity to before her 30th birthday.

Compared to 103 that's nothing but still.

Then there's all these 16/17 year olds panicking that they are weird because they haven't had sex:rolleyes:
sam_sanchez
Yeah, but it was different times back in her day. You had to get married first then. Its one thing to find someone who wants to marry you and another to get a quick shag.

They didn't HAVE to get married before they have sex. Sure it was more common, and expected, for people to wait until marriage but I bet there's a ;load of old ladies with some saucy secrets to tell.
Reply 66
See, I am worried that I fit that description. Ok, I have had two girlfriends - briefly, and neither of them worked out well - and one offer of sex, which in my naivite I didn't reckongise (my friends made sure i knew of my mistake afterwords). But apart from that its scarily close, at least to how I feel. Then again, I am only 18, not 30 or 103. Its just I don't seem to be moving any closern to having sex. Should I be worried?
im 18 and the furthest ive been with a girl was a quick hug from a friend at my 18th, woohoo for me... so no you shouldnt be worried
Anonymous
See, I am worried that I fit that description. Ok, I have had two girlfriends - briefly, and neither of them worked out well - and one offer of sex, which in my naivite I didn't reckongise (my friends made sure i knew of my mistake afterwords). But apart from that its scarily close, at least to how I feel. Then again, I am only 18, not 30 or 103. Its just I don't seem to be moving any closern to having sex. Should I be worried?

i'm 22 and i was in the same situation as you, i had 3 girlfriends in college (none of them lasted more than a month) and i haven't had a girlfriend since college (4 years ago) i don't think i'll have another girlfriend because i've gotten too shy and i don't really know what to talk to women about because to be honest, i get bored talking to women, because i'm not interested in women stuff, i'm totally straight though and i just wish i'd had sex while i was more confident and had the girlfriends because, it's a whole lot more difficult now, prospects for having sex are virtually non-existent, i have to come to terms with being a life-long virgin i reckon :smile:
No! Don't be worried! You're only 18 for goodness sake!

If you are worried, you'd do well to read some of Gilmartin's work (a lot of it is published online, you'll find it if you google it) and he found a big difference between 'younger love shys' and 'older love shys.'

The longer you wait, the harder it gets.

(DOI - I'm a girl who's after a loveshy man :wink: )
Anonymous
No! Don't be worried! You're only 18 for goodness sake!

If you are worried, you'd do well to read some of Gilmartin's work (a lot of it is published online, you'll find it if you google it) and he found a big difference between 'younger love shys' and 'older love shys.'

The longer you wait, the harder it gets.

(DOI - I'm a girl who's after a loveshy man :wink: )

yeah, i'd say that's true, the longer i've waited the more it kinda seems it's something that's not gonna happen :-(

if you're just 18 then you can deal with it, but make sure you do, don't end up like me
Reply 71
Anonymous
Serious answer to the OP :wink:

Brian Gilmartin wrote a thesis in the late 70s about love-shy males, a category into which he estimated 1.5% of men fall.

His criteria for love-shyness:

1) He is male.
2) He is a virgin.
3) He is a person who very rarely goes out socially with women.
4) He is a person without a past history of any emotionally close, meaningful relationships of a romantic and/or sexual nature with any member of the opposite sex.
5) He is a person who has suffered and is continuing to suffer emotionally because of a lack of meaningful female companionship. In short, he is a person who desperately wishes to have a relationship with a woman, but does not have one because of shyness.
6) He is a man who becomes extremely anxiety-ridden over so much as the mere thought of asserting himself vis-à-vis a woman in a casual, friendly way. This is the essence of "love-shyness".
7) He is a man who is strictly heterosexual in his romantic and erotic orientations. In other words, he is a person who is in no way a homosexual.

:frown:

EDIT: I took the SHI test on www.love-shy.com and got these results:

You Scored 83

These are the typical scores for some groups of men

Self-Confidant Non-Shy Men: 114.3
Healthy College Males: 103.9
Young(University) Love-Shy Men: 47.8
Older Love-Shy Men: 38.6
Phranky
:frown:

EDIT: I took the SHI test on www.love-shy.com and got these results:

You Scored 83

These are the typical scores for some groups of men

Self-Confidant Non-Shy Men: 114.3
Healthy College Males: 103.9
Young(University) Love-Shy Men: 47.8
Older Love-Shy Men: 38.6

Life sucks, doesn't it?

I'm a girl and I scored 28 (I'm v.v.shy!) but I've gone out with plenty boys who took the initiative. If I were a guy I'd still be single, I'm sure. :frown:
i got 31 which is better than i would have thought
Reply 74
Anonymous
This subject will probably be boring the tits off you by now. But do you reckon some people just die virgins? I don't mean that they get run over or die prematurely, but that they just get to a natural death without ever having sex? Or is it pretty much inevitable at some point if you go out, have friends, aren't hideous and don't turn down offers?

Lots of people 1)don't go out.. ever
2) have never had or will have any friends...ever
3) are hideous
4) have turned down offers

I have/am all of them, even number 4 because in fact she was a disgrace, and she was asking me out, but one thing would probably had led to another one iw as forced to make love to her hairy frontbum

therefore it is evitable (opposite of unevitable - i doubt it) that some people will never have sex. that last sentence is grammatically wrong i just want to sound cool. in short, some die virgins.
Reply 75
Anonymous
This subject will probably be boring the tits off you by now. But do you reckon some people just die virgins? I don't mean that they get run over or die prematurely, but that they just get to a natural death without ever having sex? Or is it pretty much inevitable at some point if you go out, have friends, aren't hideous and don't turn down offers?

Of course they stay virgins. What about monks, nuns etc?
Reply 76
puppy
Of course they stay virgins. What about monks, nuns etc?

having never spent a lonely night in a monastery/nunnery, I wouldn't know...
I may be wrong, but I think the OP was referring to those who are involuntarily celibate, ie those who have not chosen a life of celibacy but for whom a sexual relationship never happens.

And once again, yes, they exist. Probably far more commonly than you'd think.
Reply 78
Well, seeing as 98% of the worlds population tend to have sex at least once in their life. Not having sex would make you in the minority and abnormal, therefore a freak. :smile:

Considering that only 1% of people in the world earn more than $47,500 annually, chances are that most people on this forum will be in the minority and abnormal, and therefore a freak. I thank you.

As for that loveshy stuff, my result is embarassingly low. I'm terrible with women and /incredibly/ horribly shy. I hope it'll all click into place one day, but I'm better than I was a year ago.
Most people here earn over 47,500 a year?

Latest

Trending

Trending