The Student Room Group

Which engineering would be my best option

I want to take an engineering in uni, I am currently a year 11 student but am choosing my a levels. I have decided on further maths, maths, physics and chemistry. I am willing to change chemistry to something else as I have until friday to hand in my application. I have narrowed it down to 4 types

Chemical engineering
Software engineering
Mechanial engineering
Civil engineering

Could you tell me the advantages/disadvantages of both and how likely i'll be able to find a job.
Heads up, Software engineering isn't quite how it sounds as far as I am aware, or at least that is how it was for the particular course I looked at. It involved mostly coding/prgramming and a lot less maths than CompSci.

If you want a course with rigorous maths in it (which is standard for an engineering course) as well as programming, then Electronic and/or Electrical is a better option, or even CompSci.
Reply 2
Those options look excellent for engineering and you can, of course, do a general engineering degree if you're still undecided a couple of years down the line.

I don't see taking the 4 subjects you've picked right now will shut any doors for you engineering wise. Given you're looking at FM you must be getting good grades and aiming for higher unis (at this point which ones specifically isn't relevant)? If so Maths and Physics are a must and FM is a distinct advantage. What you do need to bear in mind is that if you go off the idea of an engineering degree or maths degree some other courses might not accept FM as a third subject.

What other subjects might be in the mix for you if not Chemistry?
Probably compsci, economics or history
Reply 4
I think you need to Google around (or any other search engine :smile:) each type of engineering to see what appeals. There's plenty out there on the net. Unistats might be a useful place to start

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

In general terms newly graduated engineers (in an engineering post) seem to get between about £22k-£26k starting salary which isn't bad.

Your other options for A level aren't bad but I'd say your original choices of Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry will hold most doors open for you. After doing your As finding your strengths and interests and doing a bit more research it might become self evident which subject to drop and which 3 to carry forward to A2. You may not drop a subject depends on your school policy and on you but I'm assuming you'll follow the standard pattern.

Another point to bear in mind is how strong are you at those potential options and how interested are you in them?

Just to add both my sons are into engineering. The elder one graduated in 2013 and the younger one is doing his second year at uni studying Mechanical Engineering so I can explain from their experience. Younger son took Maths, FM and Physics at A2 (did Product design at As but dropped it after that level) He says that Maths, FM and Physics are a distinct advantage on his course in terms of helping understand and cope with the modules.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well maths and physics are my strong suits, I'm okay at chemistry, I'm at an a/b level
What kind of things actually interest you?

I wouldn't change your A-levels though since they're broad enough to cover all the bases; certainly much more so than the alternatives you have listed.
Well I would only pick something else if I was unable to do fm, which I doubt
Original post by SidTheSloth1
Well I would only pick something else if I was unable to do fm, which I doubt

Your subject choices are perfect. I am an offer-holder for Chemical Engineering at the University of Manchester (I am still waiting for my four other universities to reply), so fire away with questions.
BTW, maths and physics MUST be done, don't even think about dropping them. Further Maths is also a must if you are applying for good universities (my school doesn't offer it so I am self-teaching it, that's how important it is). Chemistry will open you the door to all engineering disciplines, and is always relevant to your course (especially if you want to go into general engineering for the first 2 years), mainly because if you want to switch between say, mechanical and chemical engineering, you'll be able to. If not you'll struggle.
So yes, the best combo is definitely Maths, Chemistry, Physics and FM. I'd strongly recommend it, and if you really don't want to take Chemistry, the only alternatives I can think of are Economics or maybe Biology (Imperial likes it, and an extra science always comes in handy). Just make sure you orientate your choices towards your preferred universities and career choice.
Good luck!
About chemical engineering, are there any jobs in cities, from what I found most of the jobs are in factorys or in oil rigs, normally in small towns
About chemical engineering, are there any jobs in cities, from what I found most of the jobs are in factorys or in oil rigs, normally in small towns

Lots of chemical engineering jobs in London in the oil & gas industry.

In reality there are very, very few chemical engineering positions based on oil rigs. Although there probably are plenty based in small towns near refineries or chemical plants, and at the chemical plants themselves.
So what would a chemical engineer do in the oil or gas industry in a city like London
So what would a chemical engineer do in the oil or gas industry in a city like London

Design oil rigs, refineries, LNG terminals, basically.
Okay thanks, civil or mechanical sounds more interesting, but I have two years to decide
Okay thanks, civil or mechanical sounds more interesting, but I have two years to decide

Well I did mechanical, and because it's a broad degree, there are likely to be bits you find interesting and some bits you find less interesting. But if you still have two years to decide then that's ample time. Focus on nailing your maths and physics.
After getting your degree what kind of job did you get, and in what industry
After getting your degree what kind of job did you get, and in what industry

I work in oil & gas, designing things that go under the water to help produce oil and gas. What I'm doing at the moment is actually structural.
Sorry to use up your space. Hi guys. I'm currently in year 12 and am doing maths, physics, chemistry and further maths. i really want to do chemical engineering at uni and hoping to join a major oil company like BP or Exxon Mobil later on. I have 3 main unis that i'm confused on and would appreciate any clarification. I was thinking of Cambridge but it tends to be really intense getting in and most probably staying in. Is it really worth it to get a 2:1 from Cambridge or a first from somewhere else. Is it really worth it having all such training but just to compete in the real world. I recently got drawn to ICL as it has state-of-the-art facilities and major links with the industry. It has also risen ranks in the world as it is now joint second with Cambridge, just behind MIT. But i come from a family that's not too rich and i know that my parents wouldn't want to be sending me more money while i study so London is giving me doubts on living conditions and costs. I have recently been attracted to the meng course at manchester which has an industrial experience year all in 4 years. This would link me to industry straight up, give me work experience, allow me to be more independent and earn my while studying. Is there anyone who can relate to how each of these courses and universities' intensities are and how hard it is to complete 1st class degrees here? What would also be the best options if you want to work for such major companies i have stated above?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't have a problem with you posting here but, I think you would get more replies if you made your own thread
thanks for the advice and sorry once again for messing up pn your thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending