The Student Room Group

Are automatic cars actually easier to drive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sgt.Incontro
LOL!

What's so funny
Automatic care are for wusses who are lazy and can't deal with stalling a car:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
What's so funny
Automatic care are for wusses who are lazy and can't deal with stalling a car:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Keep going, I am enjoying the show.
Original post by zippyRN
if you can't master clutch control , whether becasue of a physical disability , dyspraxia or because of a mental block tehnan auto only licence provides a route to a full licence, otherwise pass in a manual and then chose auto, manual or flappy paddle bisexual gearbox as the car suits...

Tiptronic :rolleyes:
I would like to try driving an automatic, I imagine it would be quite simple.

However I do like having the control over which gear I am in, so I can choose to drop a gear and floor it :biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by Runninground
I would like to try driving an automatic, I imagine it would be quite simple.

However I do like having the control over which gear I am in, so I can choose to drop a gear and floor it :biggrin:

You can still do that if you need to on some automatics. On mine I have D for normal driving,but if I need to as you put it,floor it (lol),I can manually select gears 1,2 and 3 to accelerate quickly,although ive never actually done it.
I dont care what anyone says,I love driving automatic, for me there is just no need or desire to drive a manual,I live in a very traffic congested area,on Friday afternoon I spent an hour sitting in a very slow moving traffic queue,the constant clutch up and down would have driven me nuts,as well as giving me leg ache, lol. All I had to do is take my foot off the brake and let my car roll,I dont even need the accelerator as with autos it will slowly “creep” when in Drive and the footbrake is off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by jen245
You can still do that if you need to on some automatics. On mine I have D for normal driving,but if I need to as you put it,floor it (lol),I can manually select gears 1,2 and 3 to accelerate quickly,although ive never actually done it.
I dont care what anyone says,I love driving automatic, for me there is just no need or desire to drive a manual,I live in a very traffic congested area,on Friday afternoon I spent an hour sitting in a very slow moving traffic queue,the constant clutch up and down would have driven me nuts,as well as giving me leg ache, lol. All I had to do is take my foot off the brake and let my car roll,I dont even need the accelerator as with autos it will slowly “creep” when in Drive and the footbrake is off

Posted from TSR Mobile

whats it like on petrol though? I heard the jump between consumption is big.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
I dont know tbh. Ive only had my car 2 months and put about 40 quids worth of petrol in it. It only has a 1.4l engine so its not really a gas guzzler anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by jen245
I dont know tbh. Ive only had my car 2 months and put about 40 quids worth of petrol in it. It only has a 1.4l engine so its not really a gas guzzler anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you not have a manual licence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Yes i do. But ive only ever driven my hubbys manual car and my instructors when i was learning. Ive only recently passed my test. My hubbys car has a 2.0l engine so i cant really compare the consumption of mine with his

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Automatic cars are more difficult. I don't understand how they go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
whats it like on petrol though? I heard the jump between consumption is big.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends a lot on the car. In our pool fleet we have the following vehicles that we have both an automatic and a manual version with similar engine type, from looking at data from their vehicle management system this is what it yields :-

Opel Insignia 2.0d manual one returns 120km more per fuel tank over the last 5 refueling. This one is a standard 6-speed torque converter gearbox. Engine code is the same between both cars. 70l fuel tank and average refuel is 60l.

Skoda Fabia 1.2 manual one returns 10km more per fuel tank over the last 20 fuel ups. Not sure if the engine output is the same or not as the log shows a different engine code even though both are 1.2tsi. This one is a petrol and a dual-clutch semi-automatic. This one only runs in town. Fuel tank size is 45l and average refuel takes 38l

VW Passat Alltrack Estate 2.0TDI, the manual one returns 20km less per fuel tank and currently it is driven by the same person on the same journey and it is always fully loaded with tools. This one is also a dual-clutch semi-automatic. The automatic one is 170PS where the manual is 140PS though. Fuel tank is 70l and average refuel is 62l

Iveco Daily 3.0l, this one has been tracked for 3 weeks, thus far there isn't much difference between them. This one is a single clutch semi-automatic and so far fuel consumption doesn't differ between them. Fuel tank 70l and average refuel is 55l

Isuzu D-Max 3.0l, manual one on average gives 50km more per fuel tank. We run 6 of these on our fleet, 4 autos and 2 manuals. This one is a standard 5-speed torque converter gearbox. 75l fuel tank and average refuel is 63l.

Volvo S60 2.0T, manual one gets 70km more from each fuel tank. This one is a Ford PowerShift dual-clutch transmission. Both are driven by very eco-conscious drivers. Fuel tank size is 68l and average refuel has been 50l.
Reply 51
1. Auto 'boxes in normal cars aren't all they're made out to be. My mate had a car with one that also showed what gear it was in and frankly, they're clueless. In terms of performance there's no comparison. Especially when you're going from a 30 to a 70 and you want to get a shift on.

2. Fuel economy's better on a manual. Manufacturers fiddle the figures to say otherwise but it's the cold truth.

The truth is unless you have some form of medical condition, the excuse that an auto is 'easier' just doesn't wash. Practise your clutch control if you find hill starts hard. I know not everyone's a natural driver but the real learning begins after you pass and you should always strive to improve your driving however you can.
I don't think I'd ever buy an auto unless it was as a second car. A Range Rover Classic Vogue with the 3.9 hooked up to the 4 speed would be lush (I've owned one before and it was a fairly good gearbox considering it was from the late 80's), but only if I had another car with a manual to get my gear on with. I do about 500 miles a week at the moment in the work van and let me tell you, that thing would be worse than useless with an automatic in it. I can just about keep up with traffic as it is, and that's with me knowing what gear I want it in and when. Generally autos and underpowered diesels don't mix well :tongue:

My girlfriend is learning to drive at the moment in my manual TDI and she's most definitely doing the manual test, but she might end up with an auto once she passes if a good deal pops up. It'd be nice for runs to the shops, but I'd definitely keep my manual.
Reply 53
Original post by Nuffles
I don't think I'd ever buy an auto unless it was as a second car. A Range Rover Classic Vogue with the 3.9 hooked up to the 4 speed would be lush (I've owned one before and it was a fairly good gearbox considering it was from the late 80's), but only if I had another car with a manual to get my gear on with. I do about 500 miles a week at the moment in the work van and let me tell you, that thing would be worse than useless with an automatic in it. I can just about keep up with traffic as it is, and that's with me knowing what gear I want it in and when. Generally autos and underpowered diesels don't mix well :tongue:

My girlfriend is learning to drive at the moment in my manual TDI and she's most definitely doing the manual test, but she might end up with an auto once she passes if a good deal pops up. It'd be nice for runs to the shops, but I'd definitely keep my manual.

Autos are fine providing you have torque or whatever to spare. I'm not a technical expert, but never had a complaint with either of my 330D's or 330i. My CLS has zero acceleration issues too. (under 5 secs even) - My first 330d was from 2004 and a diesel/big estate, and still managed it in 7.5 secs or so. Never driven the old range rover, but I had an old XJ and that was lush! The old 4 litre cherokees on the other hand were :lolwut:

Original post by alexl102
1. Auto 'boxes in normal cars aren't all they're made out to be. My mate had a car with one that also showed what gear it was in and frankly, they're clueless. In terms of performance there's no comparison. Especially when you're going from a 30 to a 70 and you want to get a shift on.

2. Fuel economy's better on a manual. Manufacturers fiddle the figures to say otherwise but it's the cold truth.

The truth is unless you have some form of medical condition, the excuse that an auto is 'easier' just doesn't wash. Practise your clutch control if you find hill starts hard. I know not everyone's a natural driver but the real learning begins after you pass and you should always strive to improve your driving however you can.

2 is incorrect. It's not inherently better on a manual.
If it is an everyday car my choice would be an automatic. The car is merely a tool to get me from place to place and I prefer having as little fuss as possible. Even if it is an econobox I'd prefer to have it as an automatic as chances are it is a dreadful car and whether it has a manual or an automatic it is unlikely to make it any less dreadful. In terms of fuel efficiency, it isn't at high enough a priority list that I could be bothered to opt for a manual, in any case the gearbox of a car is rarely ever the only factor in a car's fuel consumption, driver behaviour plays far more of an aspect.

If it is a car that is meant to be used as a fun car then it may or may not be an automatic. Currently all the cars I'd consider buying for recreational driving are a Jaguar F-Type, Nissan GT-R and possibly if I win the lottery a Lamborghini Aventador or Huracan. None of it are sold as a manual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending